What's new

My farmers market soap.

Used local shaving soap today, I found at our local farmers market. The scent is great. But I also like the performance. I get plenty of lather but it is thin and very slick and retain s the slickness very well. I will get more.
The reason I bring this up is I was recently gifted three more artisan soaps that would be recognized on this site. All were unscented and contained lanolin. Two were tallow based and one veg based. They all work very well.
I always thought the local soap performed OK, but it was alluded that it could not perform as well as more recognized soaps and I did not have the experience to know if that was true or not. Now I know.

Attachments

• 20220501_195307.jpg
    20220501_195307.jpg
    683.3 KB · Views: 32
You're in good company. I've been wet shaving since the early 90's and don't know 3/4 of the artisan guys that are mentioned here the majority of the time. And that's okay. Mitchell's Wool Fat and Tabac are my main "recognizable" soaps. I like them and use them occasionally. I also use small time mom and pop soaps from farmer's markets or Ebay the rest of the time. For me, with skin issues on my face, I found out that olive oil based soap keeps the issues at bay or removes them completely. Understandably, on a forum like this, members know that olive oil soaps don't perform as well in lathering like traditional shaving soaps and voice that opinion (same along the lines of farmer's market soaps). That's fine with me. I use what I want and what works for me. It's nice to also support local businesses or the little guys that sell on Ebay or Etsy.

I still enjoy reading about these new artisans and like the camaraderie we share, even though I know I won't ever try any of those soaps/creams because they won't work for me.

Enjoy that farmer's market soap. You supported a local business and probably saved money, also. Win Win.

Looks like you like this soap a lot or have stock in the company, lol!

I purchased some shave soap at the farmers market. The scent was honey and sage, which I enjoyed. Unfortunately, the performance of the soap was not as good as the scent. I suspect my expectations for a soap might be somewhat higher than yours. If it works for you, congratulations.

I only mentioned this soap more than once is because I was a new wet shaver and didn't have much experience with different soaps. I've found out that my face is not that sensitive and I can get away using the several soaps that I have tried to this point. My mechanics or technique has improved to the point I can get a good shave with almost any blade or soap. It is now more of a longevity issue with different blades. I guess I'm lucky or just not that picky. Thanks for the replies.

I try to purchase locally made soaps whenever possible. There seems to be a learning curve in shaving soaps. I cannot swear to this as I am not a soap maker myself. But the bath soaps work well and the shaving soaps are pretty blah.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I try to purchase locally made soaps whenever possible. There seems to be a learning curve in shaving soaps. I cannot swear to this as I am not a soap maker myself. But the bath soaps work well and the shaving soaps are pretty blah.
I had a doctor's appointment yesterday and was not feeling great, breathing issues. It was all I could do to take a shower, but I DESPERATELY needed a shave as well.

I ended up using a Bic Metal disposable razor and my wife's Oil of Olay bath soap in the shower. I was amazed at how slick it was. I left the mustache and goatee area to shave later, or grow out for winter. So not a "perfect" test of this soap.

But it did convince me that I can use about any soap that it slick. It was easily the best shower shave that old razor has given me! Thanks to @JeffJ for giving me those! Lol, I think I am only on the second one of the bunch, and they sit in the shower 24/7.....

…..But it did convince me that I can use about any soap that it slick. It was easily the best shower shave that old razor has given me! Thanks to @JeffJ for giving me those! Lol, I think I am only on the second one of the bunch, and they sit in the shower 24/7.....
That’s by far my highest mileage PIF ever. Glad they work for you. Used a Bic Metal on one bloody business trip. Would have more luck shaving with a tin can lid.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That’s by far my highest mileage PIF ever. Glad they work for you. Used a Bic Metal on one bloody business trip. Would have more luck shaving with a tin can lid.
I will say: my experience has been a bit like shooting craps!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I ended up using a Bic Metal disposable razor and my wife's Oil of Olay bath soap

I used a Bic Metal for decades with a Redkin Amino Pon bar, just a buck fifty for the soap, or less.

Surprise, the Amino Pon has been discontinued and sell for $50-75! Or more.

Top Bottom