What's new

My face is soooo raw!

I know the Futur is an aggressive razor but I learned to wet shave a few months back using a Futur/Merkur blades and either Proraso or C&E shaving cream. I switched to Hydrolast and HD/Merkur blades to deal with some neck irritation. Well, the shave is incredibly easier because I don't have to be so careful with the HD, my skin is softer, and I get no nicks (unless I'm really careless).

The problem is that whenever I shave, my face is left looking so raw and beat up. Eventually, it clears up and the smooth shave I feel is the smooth shave I see but that takes hours. I've had to compensate by shaving in the afternoon/evening so that by the next day I am positive my face has "healed." What am I doing wrong?

Telly

I can't help you, but I have a similar situation. My face only appears irritated around the jaw line and directly under my chin. It feels ok but looks bad for a while after I have shaved.

Edit: I am not using method shaving. Thus happens to me while just using regular creams and soaps usually doing 2-3 passes.

Are you guys using the Hydrolast shaving balm? I've heard that some people are allergic to it. Try shaving with just the cube and paste.

If that's not it, have you tried the Hydrolast skin conditioner? It's pretty expensive, but a little goes a long way and it really makes my skin feel good.

Which Hydrolast products are you using? Is it the cube and the paste? I'm using the cube and paste with the HD and Derby blades and don't have this problem. I follow up each shave with the hydrolast conditioner mentioned earlier. I do get some razor rash on my lower neck, but I think that was due to my heavy handed M3 shaving technique. I switched to making one pass on my lower neck yesterday and I'm already getting better results.

There are l lot of variables here. I'd start changing one thing at a time just to see if I could pin down the culprit. If all else fails, give CAR a call and tell him what's happening. He might be able to offer some suggestions.

Have you tried any other creams? I get minor irritation from Proraso cream, and C&E almond cream burns the hell out of my face:eek:
Cheers, DJ.

I might've become lazy with the razor. I did deal with it before with Proraso and to a lesser extent, with the C&E. After being so careful with the Futur, I could just be slacking off witht he Hydrolast/HD combo. Also, how much paste do you use? I have tough hair but sensitive skin so I have to make many deliberate passes. I use one finger of paste per shave. Maybe I should use more for all the passes I wind up making. I'll try that the next shave.

I use about a finger and a half of paste for each shave. Here's my technique. CAR would probably roll his eyes, but I need to get back into his store for a clinic on brush technique. CAR said the key was to keep things wet.

1. Run hot water into sink, and wash and rinse my face with the shaving cube.
  2. Take wet badger brush and load up with lather on the cube.
  3. Place a small dollop of paste and a splash of water into the breech of the brush.
  4. Work the brush on the cube again to mix.
  5. Apply resulting lather to face.
  6. First pass (N-S)
  7. Another splash of water on the brush and more lather on face.
  8. Second pass (Ear to Chin)
  9. Another splash of water on the brush and more lather on face.
  10. Third pass (W-E and E-W)
  11. A rinsing slpash of water to the face.
  12. Fourth pass (cleanup)
  13. Final hot rinse and pat dry.
  14. Apply conditioner.
  15. Apply tonic.

This gives me a pretty close shave with a minimum of discomfort. I do have a few problem spots though that I haven't been able to get close, specifically under the chin, on the lower neck, and directly under the nose. I try to use as light a touch as possible.

Another thought. Have you tried varying your shave angle? Perhaps you're dragging the blade too much and that is causing the skin irritation. You might try having the blade at a more acute angle to the skin.

deadgoon said:
I use about a finger and a half of paste for each shave. Here's my technique. CAR would probably roll his eyes, but I need to get back into his store for a clinic on brush technique. CAR said the key was to keep things wet.

1. Run hot water into sink, and wash and rinse my face with the shaving cube.
  2. Take wet badger brush and load up with lather on the cube.
  3. Place a small dollop of paste and a splash of water into the breech of the brush.
  4. Work the brush on the cube again to mix.
  5. Apply resulting lather to face.
  6. First pass (N-S)
  7. Another splash of water on the brush and more lather on face.
  8. Second pass (Ear to Chin)
  9. Another splash of water on the brush and more lather on face.
  10. Third pass (W-E and E-W)
  11. A rinsing slpash of water to the face.
  12. Fourth pass (cleanup)
  13. Final hot rinse and pat dry.
  14. Apply conditioner.
  15. Apply tonic.
I have basically the same technique except with a lot of repeat passes. I'm thinking of doing fewer passes until my face can really handle it.

Another thought. Have you tried varying your shave angle? Perhaps you're dragging the blade too much and that is causing the skin irritation. You might try having the blade at a more acute angle to the skin.
I thought of that and it has made a difference. For now, the best thing I can do is to tinker with my technique and minimze the number of passes. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the help.

Top Bottom