What's new

My experiences with Omega boar brushes

I have never paid more than $15 for a brush in about 40 years of shaving. I bought 2 boars in the 1990s that once broken in were perfectly satisfying. One has been retired but my Semogue "pig bristle" as it was called when I bought it in Ireland in 1993 continues to perform, though it has been seriously challenged by the Plissoft & Omega synthetics for the past 6 months. Give any boar brush a solid 5-8 weeks of regular duty before passing judgement on it. Use it with a soap like Williams or Mitchell's so that it gets a solid workout. In your patience possess ye your souls.

Apologies for going off topic...I don't think I'm alone in saying I would love to see pics of your "vintage" Semogue Pig Bristle brush! Honestly, please post pics when you can!

... disagree with your findings regarding Omega requiring more break-in than Semogue. My experience is exactly the opposite.

+1 After having had quite a bit of positive experience with Omega boars, I found my first Semogue to be a disappointment. It just didn't seem to generate or hold lather, even after a fair amount of use. I was about ready to give up on it, when it finally hit its stride, and now it is an excellent brush indeed. But it took a long time for it to break in to the point of being a really good brush. My Omegas, on the other hand, have been at least good right out of the box, and they have improved to optimum condition much more quickly than the Semogue.

Top Bottom