What's new

My experience with Feather.....

Personna, Gillette, Lord.....they were all horribly blunt for my beard....so I wanted to buy Feathers. I went to the shop and the owner even gave me a package of Derbys Extra for free. I paid 5,25 euro which is 7,46 dollars for 10 blades of course.

Well...i guess you guys all are very anxious to know how the shave went?

I first lathered with my new friend Proraso, waited for 2 minutes and started with the Derby WTG on one half of my face. I must say, the Derby's were better than Personna, Lord and Gillette, but still there was pulling on my face like the blade was used a couple of times. Disappointed I took the Feathers started to shave the other half with it....

Well....on internet I heard lots of rumours that it is the sharpest blade out there, and that it cuts like ice skates smoothly on your face and it leaves a real massacre.....are those rumours or really true???

To be honest....I put the blade on my skin and started shaving WTG...to my great suprise there was NO PULLING! it ran like an ice skate true my beard. No seriously! I was very surprised and even the hair on my chin did not PULL!. Was this a dream? Could this really happen? It did, the razor glided smoothly as if I had no beard at all!!! I did a XTG after that and it was very smooth....Did I had nicks? YES!.....Were they the worst nicks I ever had? YES!! Was it a massacre? YES! Was it worth it? YES Will this blade be my favourite? YES!

How the heck they make these blades so sharp? What planet do these blades come from! Well I guess that a country which makes samurai blades which can chop someone's head off, also have the experience to make this!

After the shave I touched my skin an to my great surprise....it was like I had also shaved ATG!!! Which I did not!!!

7,46 american dollars is a bit too much for these blades I guess, so I will look on internet how to get them cheaper....

I am still enthousiastic about these ninja blades......wow.....I did not expect this.....not at all....
Besides, I had a two day beard! imagine what it would to to a one-day beard!

I have found my destiny......

Last edited:
I had the same experience, and fell in love with them too. You can normally get a pack of 100 for us$40-45 plus postage
KAIs aren't too bad either (another japanese brand), but feathers last longer for me.
You may have got some bad nicks, but with feathers, the first shave is the worst, the second is better as the blade has dulled a little bit.
Many people 'cork' their blades to wear them down a little bit/smooth them over, before using them.
All the talk is about irduim super these days, but I haven't tried them myself yet

Last edited:
I had the same experience, and fell in love with them too. You can normally get a pack of $100 for us$40 plus postage
KAIs are too bad either (another japanese brand)

You mean KAI's are not so bad either? And where you can buy 100 pack for 40 dollars? Can you buy it cheaper elsewhere?

I started with Feathers a week ago. I was more than impressed with how well they cut. My early shaves lacked much of the bloodshed that my current ones do. I don't know if I'm getting too comfortable too fast or if I'm simply hell bent on getting a better, closer shave, which I am. I simply love these blades - so much so that I ordered more 3 days after my first shave with one.

I started with Feathers a week ago. I was more than impressed with how well they cut. My early shaves lacked much of the bloodshed that my current ones do. I don't know if I'm getting too comfortable too fast or if I'm simply hell bent on getting a better, closer shave, which I am. I simply love these blades - so much so that I ordered more 3 days after my first shave with one.

I have tried them for the second time now. It was a close shave, but the nicks and cuts were just as horrible as the first one. Even the past nicks and cuts of the first shave reopenend. I want to try the Shark or the other japanese blades. Maybe a knife which is just as sharp but less agressive is better...

This is one nick which is still not healed and reopens when I shave with the Feather:

proxy.php

This is one nick which is still not healed and reopens when I shave with the Feather:

Suggestion: Don't shave that spot until it heals. Just shave around it. Use a clear shave-lube for that area so that you can see the injury. Every time you re-injure that spot you increase the likelihood of minor infection and greater inflammation and scarring. Just leave it be for a while, and dress the wound with an antibiotic ointment so that it can heal faster.

Good luck!

I shaved this week with a feather for the first time as well. I try and do two passes WTG, since I am just starting out. Prior to this, I was using a 7'o'clock gillette greens.

It shaved great the first time.
Second day, was in a bit of a hurry and F'd up my neck really good.
Didn't shave the next day at all, but had such a heavy growth my boss thought I was growing a beard.
Day 4, awesome shave!
Today, was ok. Had to make a second more concentrated pass.

I think I prefer the 7 o'clocks. Next week I will try the Dorco 301s

I shaved this week with a feather for the first time as well. I try and do two passes WTG, since I am just starting out. Prior to this, I was using a 7'o'clock gillette greens.

It shaved great the first time.
Second day, was in a bit of a hurry and F'd up my neck really good.
Didn't shave the next day at all, but had such a heavy growth my boss thought I was growing a beard.
Day 4, awesome shave!
Today, was ok. Had to make a second more concentrated pass.

I think I prefer the 7 o'clocks. Next week I will try the Dorco 301s

Hi,
I started DE shaving a few weeks ago. After 5 or six shaves I achieved a decent result and left behind the first bloody carnage.
My first blade trials were:
Merkur: Poor result, surely due to my lack of technique.
Bolzano: Same at first and slightly better then. My technique again, I guess.
Red Personna: First good shaves. Reduced dramatically my redness, irritation and nicks.
Feathers: As my face was very stabilized, I had a really close shave and a bit of irritation. In my second Feathers shave, concurred a new variable as it was the first time I shaved two days in a row. I had a real skin burning and red nicks, what I thought I had forgotten.
I payed special attention to my technique, what gave a good result shaves before. Angle and zero pressure were always in may aim, but it seems that were not enough.
Maybe my almost metallic beard and sensitive skin help to make Feathers a non proper blade for me.
Needless to say that, in the pursuit of a perfect shave, I shower, massage whiskers with homemade glycerin soap in the shower, apply jojoba oil as a pre shave, uberlather, apply jojoba again before the second pass and all that I have read and tested to be good for my shaving ritual.
I will let my face rest for two days and next Wednesday I will shave again with Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp as I got some blade samples to trial and error.
I think that, once I have tried all the different blades I have, I will start all over again to see if after a few months of experience I can value them in a different way. It might be the time for Feathers.
Regards from Spain.

I purchased an IKON and a pack of Feather blades was included.
I first used the Dorco 301 which is my normal blade and Cade soap and got a great shave.
2 days later I used the same setup but used a Feather and got a great shave but ended up with some irritation.
Either the Feather demands perfect technique or it is too much blade for me.

Not sure if this adds anything to the discussion, but I've found that I get a great shave with no nicks or wounds from the Feathers if I am hyper-vigilant about technique.

For me, anyway, that means always being aware of where the blade edge is, especially when bringing it up to my face, no pressure on the blade while shaving, very short, even strokes, no jamming to the radio during shave, etc.

I think the issue with the Feathers is that they are just a good bit sharper than the other blades out there. Lots of people make little "mistakes" with technique while shaving with other blades and don't suffer any negative consequences. When you are using the Feathers, however, each of these mistakes will leave you with a little bloody reminder on your face.

Personally, I want my blades as sharp as freaking possible, because that's what cuts the whisker the closest. After all, if I liked shaving with the edge of a soup can lid, I can always just go back to my Gillette Fusion!!

My experience is different. Began again with a DE after a hiatus of about 25 years. Got my first ever Super Speed, put a Feather in it, went slow, and got a great shave with no nicks, cuts, burn or weepers. Two shaves with the same blade went fine. Put it down to try out a Tech I just received with Yellow 7 O'Clocks. Will try a Feather in the Tech next.

Not sure if this adds anything to the discussion, but I've found that I get a great shave with no nicks or wounds from the Feathers if I am hyper-vigilant about technique.

For me, anyway, that means always being aware of where the blade edge is, especially when bringing it up to my face, no pressure on the blade while shaving, very short, even strokes, no jamming to the radio during shave, etc.

I think the issue with the Feathers is that they are just a good bit sharper than the other blades out there. Lots of people make little "mistakes" with technique while shaving with other blades and don't suffer any negative consequences. When you are using the Feathers, however, each of these mistakes will leave you with a little bloody reminder on your face.

Personally, I want my blades as sharp as freaking possible, because that's what cuts the whisker the closest. After all, if I liked shaving with the edge of a soup can lid, I can always just go back to my Gillette Fusion!!

Hi, Jeff,
I absolutely agree with you. I was careful enough to obtain good results with other blades, but this level was not enough for the Feathers. As you point out, when you approach your razor/Feather to your face, the very first contact might mean a cut. Even if you change your face gesture in order to flatten or tightrn your face and your blade is on it, you will also be injured.
This first attempt with the Feathers let me a clear irritation, some pimples and a few big ones below my nose where the blade hit me hard when trying to shave me there.
I will try other blades and, once my technique reaches higher levels, I will give a second chance to Feathers as I liked the amazing effectiveness.
Regards.

For me, using Feathers is like drinking very good rum....

It goes down easy and smooth, so you use more of it and stop being careful, and afterwards it leaves you wrecked.

Jeff in Boston

For me, using Feathers is like drinking very good rum....

It goes down easy and smooth, so you use more of it and stop being careful, and afterwards it leaves you wrecked.

Jeff in Boston

The bottle of rum hit right under my nose when trying to shave the area. Nasty and bloody clues there. I will try again when being a better shaver.
Regards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom