What's new

My experience of the Merkur Futur, thus far...

I have shaved a few times with the Merkur Futur and let me first say that I love this razor. I am not reviewing it here; I would just like to see if anyone else has had the same experience as me with this razor.

I was just getting used to the Merkur Hafty Classic, which I still think might be the better razor, when I decided to purchase a Futur.

I have found my Futur shaves closer, but also rougher. And my face kind if stings after shaving with it. But despite this, I have got really, really close shaves. The blade in it right now is a Merkus blade, but I may soon test it out with a Derby Extra or a Feather.

Has anyone else had this "stingy" feel after getting such a close shave with a Futur?

Like probably everyone else who has just got an adjustable I cranked it up pretty far in my first couple of shaves. I have generally used it at about 3.5, but I've had it up much higher (even all the way) for some passes. I find it has a very different feel to it, much different than the Hefty Classic.

I almost regret getting it because I was just starting to get good, close, irritation free, nick free shaves with my hefty classic. But I do think that in time I could make the Futur do the same for me, and maybe better.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks.

I have not had a stinging feeling on the future, but maybe you might be pressing too hard. You should also try to set the blade at a lower level. Mine is on 2 all the time as i feel its right for me.
Because the future is a heavy razor, dont apply pressure and you should still get the closest shave.

I think others have posted here with much the same concern about adjustable razors. Being guys, we will adjust the razor because we can, which can lead to some problems, such as perfecting technique.

I've been shaving with a DE for about a month now and my technique is far from perfect but I've broken down and purchased a Gillette Fat Boy Adjustable. I gotta admit, I look forward to dialing up and down for different portions of my face.

Hey, I'm a guy, what can I say?

jduffy said:
I think others have posted here with much the same concern about adjustable razors. Being guys, we will adjust the razor because we can, which can lead to some problems, such as perfecting technique.

I've been shaving with a DE for about a month now and my technique is far from perfect but I've broken down and purchased a Gillette Fat Boy Adjustable. I gotta admit, I look forward to dialing up and down for different portions of my face.

Jim,
A word of advice, FORGET dialing up and down for different portions of your face. Perhaps, dialing up and down for different passes, but PLEASE do not even think about varying the adjustable technology from stroke to stroke!:scared:

jduffy said:

This is the exact reason I sold my Progress. I could not stop fiddling around with the adjustment and as a result could not get a consistent shave. Now I stick to fixed head razors and get much more consistent shaves.

I also agree. I have 5 adjustables and once I found out my number I left it there no more fiddlin'. I also found it varies, on one of my slims I have it on 4 while on one of my fatboys is #1. I get the same shave that way...go figure.

Rafael

The best thing about an adjustable is that you can find the setting that works best for you. Then set it and forget it. I have found no advantage to changing the setting for various parts of the face. Once you get use to the razor, your technique should compenste for any variables in your face without concensious thought.

What's wrong with changing it for different parts of the face? It works well for me to go as low as 2 for my neck, and as high as 7 for my cheeks.

javyn said:
What's wrong with changing it for different parts of the face? It works well for me to go as low as 2 for my neck, and as high as 7 for my cheeks.
Somewhat higher risk of cutting oneself is the only reason I see. I find that I am most successful using whisker reduction and multiple passes. If I need more or less blade, I usually do it by varying the angle at which I hold the razor on a pass. If I have to vary the exposure beyond that which is practical with angle variation, I do it on succeeding passes to avoid using soapy hands.

If you like the Futur, give the Slant a try.

You might (like me) be very surprized at your reaction to it.

I'm thinking about selling my Futur now; it sits unused now that I've tried the Slant.

-joedy

I too have FUTUR and I love mine as well. I do get the "stingy" feeling along my jawline though. I keep mine set at 1.5. I haven't even wanted to venture higher up yet and probably won't. I like the way it does at this setting. I am however wondering if something else might be a little easier on the jawline. Overall though I love this razor. Much better than the fusion I had previously.

I do have some "stingy" feeling with the Futur, especially under my jawline (not on the jawline), but that usually goes away with some aftershave; however, in the interest of full disclosure, it is no worse then the sting I feel in that area after I shave with an M3 of any variety. As for the adjustability, I usually keep mine set at 1.5 - 2.0. I like how these settings shave and I cannot imagine venturing higher on the razor.

As an aside, after using it consistently for about three weeks now, I've noticed the adjustable mechanism is getting stiff, does anyone have any advice as to whether it is OK to oil the mechanism, and if so, what type of oil should I use (i.e. 3-in-1)?

webguru24 said:
As an aside, after using it consistently for about three weeks now, I've noticed the adjustable mechanism is getting stiff, does anyone have any advice as to whether it is OK to oil the mechanism, and if so, what type of oil should I use (i.e. 3-in-1)?

I believe that classic shaving do sell a dedicated oil. I regularly scrub my Futur with washing up liquid and a tooth brush. I must confess I occasionally use 3-in-1 as well.

Brian

Gents,
I believe that I would avoid 3-in-1 on my razor. I don't recall, but I believe that there might be cautions on the can about contact/intake?

The choice for old Gillette adjustables seems to be mineral oil. I don't see why that wouldn't work on a Futur, and no worries about applying toxics to your face...

guenron said:
Gents,
I believe that I would avoid 3-in-1 on my razor. I don't recall, but I believe that there might be cautions on the can about contact/intake?

Not on the UK tin.....just advises against frequent/prolonged contact.....and as I wasn't using it as a shaving oil....I figured it would be OK. Wouldn't the first wash in hot water remove most of it from the surfaces in contact with the skin?

Brian

Yeah, I actually would not really worry about that. So little there. You probably get more nasty things in your system eating one fast food hamburger than shaving with that razor for a year.

Top Bottom