What's new

My expectations were exceeded!

I have always been a wet shaver. I used a DE a few times when I first started shaving in my mid teens - but I really don't recall the experience. Since then I have used the Sensor, Mach 3, and Fusion. But just today I used a DE. I'll say it was for the first time, becuase that's sure how it feels.
The Mercur Hefty Classic came in the mail today and I was shaving with it less than an hour later. I had a 3 day beard all ready for the occasion. Going into this I feared that I would get cuts, or that it wouldn't be all that great.

I used Truefit & Hill shave cream and aftershave (both West Indian Limes) - also for the first time.

Man, does that stuff ever later up! I read that you need only a very small amount, so that's all I put on my brush - but I swear still had enough to for four people to shave. So next time I will use even less.

I took it real easy, going north to south, south to north, and then east/west west east. I re-lathered in between.

The result was a pretty close shave with only the smallest amount of irritation (I've had more with the Mach 3). And I think that will go away.

Anyway, I am sold on this whole DE thing. I wasn't at first, even though I had to try it out. But I am convinced.

Congratulations! Sounds like you've jumped in with both feet, using high quality products and had great results.

Welcome to your new obsessio. . .er, I mean, hobby!

My condolences, now you are hooked and will never be the same. Might as well keep your credit card or checkbook handy for all the goodies you will be buying.

When I started shaving (1960-61) it was with a DE, then I went from one end of the spectrum to the other, electric to multi-blade before just recently returning to the DE and wet shaving utilizing a brush. Actually I was searching on the internet about electric razors when I came across this forum. Because of this forum, I returned to the DE and wetshaving. I aquired a DE razor (Vision), Rooney brush, some English creams and have never looked back. Best move I ever made. Since that time (only a couple of months) I have obtained three more razors,both Merkur and Gillette, numerous creams, soaps, and every razor blade imaginable to try and have not stopped yet. Still ordering other creams and soaps. I have pretty much settled on the Vision as it works the best for me. The jury is still out on the blades though. At this time I believe the Feather will be the one I will settle on, especially since I just received 100 of them. My wife thinks I'm nuts and does not appreciate my taking over all the space in the bathroom for my new found accessories. That reminds me, I read about the Mama Bear soaps and need to order some of them tonight.

Welcome and enjoy your shaving, Bud

This Truefitt and Hill cream as totally amazed me. It blows away anything that I ever thought was a good shave cream/soap/gel in the past.

I will likely stick with it although I am now curious about other fragrences from the same company.

Could there actually be a better thing to shave with than Truefitt & Hill shaving cream? If there is I wouldn't mind trying it out.

By the way, thanks for the encouragement. Once again, my first DE shave was much better than expected, and I have a feeling the it will only get better. I tend to shave 5-6 days per week, so I wonder what it will be like to use a DE every day?

At least half of the enjoyment from wet shaving is trying out new products. Be sure to check out the Reviews Section of this site. It can provide you with enough info on different products to begin making some educated decisions on what to try next.

gundog said:
My condolences, now you are hooked and will never be the same. Might as well keep your credit card or checkbook handy for all the goodies you will be buying.

When I started shaving (1960-61) it was with a DE, then I went from one end of the spectrum to the other, electric to multi-blade before just recently returning to the DE and wet shaving utilizing a brush. Actually I was searching on the internet about electric razors when I came across this forum. Because of this forum, I returned to the DE and wetshaving. I aquired a DE razor (Vision), Rooney brush, some English creams and have never looked back. Best move I ever made. Since that time (only a couple of months) I have obtained three more razors,both Merkur and Gillette, numerous creams, soaps, and every razor blade imaginable to try and have not stopped yet. Still ordering other creams and soaps. I have pretty much settled on the Vision as it works the best for me. The jury is still out on the blades though. At this time I believe the Feather will be the one I will settle on, especially since I just received 100 of them. My wife thinks I'm nuts and does not appreciate my taking over all the space in the bathroom for my new found accessories. That reminds me, I read about the Mama Bear soaps and need to order some of them tonight.

Welcome and enjoy your shaving, Bud

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good Idea lets order.

Congrats Christophe,

I suggest emailing Brittney at T & H ([email protected]) and she can set you up with samples of the other creams.

As for if anything lathers better then their creams? You will have alot of different opinions. I find that with all of the quality products that are mentioned on this forum are very good. Some maybe a bit better for me then for you. So I am sure that you will want to satisfy your curiosity and start to try different things. If you are near a C & E you can get their cream and balm samples to try before making any purchases. You can also email Trumpers ([email protected]) and they will send you a plethura of samples to try out...from colognes to creams to skin food. Taylor doesn't send out samples anymore but I think you will find that for the price they are hard to beat...then you have Salters...Coates...Castle Forbes...

Then you have soaps...

Let the adventure begin...

T&H is "middle of the road" for me. It shaves well, but there are many others that lather and shave better. Do some digging and you'll find some good options for trying stuff out.

Scotto said:
T&H is "middle of the road" for me. It shaves well, but there are many others that lather and shave better. Do some digging and you'll find some good options for trying stuff out.

I'm with you Scotto. I don't even own any T&H because for me, there are many others that I prefer by a wide margin.

Top Bottom