What's new

My excellent experience with Goodfella

Last week, I placed an order for a black Goodfella safety razor, directly from goodfella.com. I received it yesterday, after 8 days of (not so) patient waiting. I immediately unpacked it and I was still admiring the tiny handle (side by side with my R41 Grande, it looks like a toy), when I noticed a very large scratch on the handle itself. More than a scratch, it is actually a patch where the steel is rough and worn out, as if it had been dragged on an abrasive surface. While the razor is perfectly usable as it is (I am actually planning on using it tonight for the maiden shave) and nothing else was damaged, I wasn't particularly happy about this obvious defect. I sent an email to Goodfella within minutes of receiving the package and explained to them what happened. After a few hours, I received a reply and was asked to show a few photos of the handle, which I promptly did. After mere minutes, I received another email apologizing for the inconvenience and assuring me that a replacement handle would be sent the following day. I had read only great things about Goodfella and I was quite confident that they would fix the problem, but I was pleasantly surprised that it took so little time and effort. Obviously I won't receive the new handle until next week, but I was so impressed with the level of customer care at Goodfella that I felt I should share my experience.

P

pdillon

Good to hear!

My Goodfella was fine when I received it. I also have an R41, so I'm curious to hear your experiences.

I honestly believe that the problem with the handle was an oversight. Everything had been packaged properly and arrived without damages during shipping, which can only mean that the handle was defective before it was sent out.

I tried the razor for the first time last night. Obviously it is much milder compared to the R41 - then again, almost everything is, even some chainsaws. It is probably a bit too soon to tell, but it doesn't seem much more aggressive than my Feather AS-D1, although I need to try other blades. Last night I used a Timor blade and I got a DFS without any irritation, though I had to apply a little more pressure than I'd have liked. I probably still need to figure out the best angle for the razor, however.

The Goodfella is a smooth razor that has a classic look and shaves great. It is one of the mildest open combs I've ever used.

P

pdillon

I'm approaching a year of wetshaving, but I still consider myself a newbie. I used a Merkur HD for the first, say, six months. I got to the point where I could get pretty consistent irritation free shaves. I got the Goodfella in December and used it pretty much exclusively until I got my R41 in January. I've been using and learning the R41 pretty much exclusively since then. I definitely did not master the Goodfella and I'm looking forward to going back to it, but the R41 has been better at holding my interest.

What I did learn is that the Feather is a great blade for the Goodfella. But I also found myself applying pressure to get the shave I needed. Is this because of incorrect technique/blade angle? Or is that just a symptom of mild razors?

I just did my second shave with the Goodfella, using a new Feather blade. Compared to the first shave with the Timor blade, I got a much closer and more comfortable shave - if this isn't a BBS, I don't know what is.

I had started a thread before about my thoughts on pressure: basically, I think that a minimum amount of pressure must be applied, especially when doing an ATG pass, since the weight of the razor is being pulled away from the face. I switched from cartridges only a few months ago and I am by no means an expert, but I would guess that it is normal to have to apply a little pressure with mild razors. I know that when I shave with the Feather or the Goodfella, I definitely apply some pressure, whereas I don't when I use the R41 Grande. Then again, if you look at how the blade protrudes from the R41's head, it is easy to understand why :biggrin1:

Top Bottom