What's new

My Enduring And Profound Thanks

When I was a blockhead teen, a senior in high school, I took the ASVAB test like everyone else; I don't know if they still do that today. I briefly considered joining the Navy, but mom and dad put the kibosh on that declaring I was going to school instead--not that they had anything against military service, I think they were still haunted by prior military engagements and simply wanted me to have an education.

I knew my dad did a stint in the Army. I didn't find out until after their passing that both my maternal and paternal grandfathers served, both having participated in D-Day as well. Growing up they never said one word to us about it. I don't begrudge them their silence, actually respect it. I would have liked to have been able to properly thank them for their service, but I never got to . . . at least not while they were here.

Neither my brother nor I served, but we did register for Selective Service. However, my son is currently enlisted with the Navy as a corpsman (I think they recently changed the nomenclature but don't remember what they call it now)--I couldn't possibly be prouder of his decision to enlist and serve.

So, to all of you on this forum who have served our nation, my deepest and wholehearted gratitude for your sacrifice and willingness to participate in defending us all. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance and I am very grateful to all of you who have stood ready.

Thank you gentlemen. Words cannot possibly convey nor assuage the scars some of you carry. Know you are appreciated and carry the respect you deserve by the majority of Americans.

Serving was my honor and privilege. To those who may have lost a loved one in service to our nation, you are in my prayers. May God especially bless you this weekend. A friend's brother died in service and this is still, many years later, a bitter sweet time for her.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing!

WW II Vets were the greatest generation that I have had the honor to meet!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Serving was my honor and privilege. To those who may have lost a loved one in service to our nation, you are in my prayers. May God especially bless you this weekend. A friend's brother died in service and this is still, many years later, a bitter sweet time for her.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thank you brother. So well said. God bless.

So, to all of you on this forum who have served our nation, my deepest and wholehearted gratitude for your sacrifice and willingness to participate in defending us all. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance and I am very grateful to all of you who have stood ready.

Thank you gentlemen. Words cannot possibly convey nor assuage the scars some of you carry. Know you are appreciated and carry the respect you deserve by the majority of Americans.

Well said, DEPenguin! Amen.

Very eloquent, thank you for your post. Please add my sincere thanks to all who have, or are, serving our country.

Top Bottom