What's new

My Dubl Duck, a.k.a. "The Spruce Goose"

Here is a Dubl Duck SatinEdge that I picked up at an antique store for $20 nearly a year ago. It had been rescaled long ago with crème colored plastic scales that were stained, warped, and just plain ugly as sin. When I bought it I simply brought it home, wiped it down, and honed it. For a long time I had wanted to do something with it to make it's appearance as wonderful as its shave quality, so the other day I finally took it to the bench. I love wood, always have - it's just warm and has an amazing tactile feel in the hands and since the razor is a Dubl Duck, wooden scales would give me a reason to make a cheesy pun by naming it "The Spruce Goose"... It's funny to me anyway. I've had a block of Wormy Chestnut, salvaged from an old church house that was demolished in my home town, hidden away for close to a decade and I knew that it would be perfect for my scales. I kept with a rather modest shape for the scales, hit them with a few coats of shellac, a hard top coat of instant dry laquer, then buffed them to perfection. Lastly a light buffing of the blade, a rehone, and here we are! This is my daily shaver, the favorite of my 7 or so straights, and now the ole "Spruce Goose" looks as great as she performs!

Have a look for yourselves!
IMG_2170.JPG
IMG_2172.JPG
IMG_2182.JPG
IMG_2186.JPG

Thank you for the kind words, I'm very happy with the way it turned out. She'll stay my favorite! (Perhaps until I find a MK31 at the antique store).

Top Bottom