What's new

My dress hats

I'm a hat fanatic which is very unusual in SoCal. Now I'm working on being a better groomed hat fanatic.

Just got this beauty from the supplier that provided all the hats for PUBLIC ENEMIES. It's based on the Dillinger hat from all the advertising posters, but blocked a bit differently.
proxy.php

Men should wear hats more offten (and not ball caps). One day I will get one from VS Hats. Who knows, maybe this Christmas.

vintagesilhouettes.com

My father has always worn this style hat. Never once saw him in a ballcap that I can remember.

His are always black and since he's a minister, is usually found in a suit with his hat.

I'm not to the point of life where I'll wear these hats, but who knows, maybe someday.

I have a small skull though, wear a 6 7/8 in fitted caps.

Is that one of you next to the phone a "Tucker" model? I love that hat and that is the one I am gunning for.

rgc

Yes it is....in fact it is Tucker #1...because when I wanted my first real hat, I contacted Art. We worked on this design for a couple of weeks and then I finally gave it a name, after Preston Tucker, the manufacturer of the Tucker automobile. Known for his boldness and forward thinking.

The brim is 2.5", the heigth is not real tall 4.5 or 4.75...it has a samller ribbon on it, so it looks like a working mans hat...not to 40's ish and i can wear it with everything....dress or casual...

Art had my hiegth a bit too high and I had to shape it myself....

Let me know when you order one...what color are you thinking?

Got to get some more I have one hat from Cracker barrel and one from Academy it is a Sundowner. I want another Fedora and will have to make a special trip to Fort Worth to see Peter Brothers.

For Summer, you can't beat a good Panama hat. For a good deal on the real thing, check out www.panamahatsdirect.com. I have both Cuenca and high-grade hats from them.
Still looking for a felt hat like the main character wore in the series "Foyle's War" to give me some variety from my older black Stetson.

For Summer, you can't beat a good Panama hat. For a good deal on the real thing, check out www.panamahatsdirect.com. I have both Cuenca and high-grade hats from them.
Still looking for a felt hat like the main character wore in the series "Foyle's War" to give me some variety from my older black Stetson.

panamahatsdirect.com is a fantastic company to do business with. My summer hat of choice is a Cuenca Havana from them. I plan to purchase a couple more panamas come spring. My Fall hat that is currently in the cross hairs is an Akubra Campdraft. I plan to pull the trigger on this little beauty very soon
proxy.php

...from the supplier that provided all the hats for PUBLIC ENEMIES. It's based on the Dillinger hat...

To the Public Enemies movie, 80 hats were made.The felt was made here, where i live, at Fepsa felt factory in Portugal. The designer was Graham Thompson, in charge at Optimo Hats in Chicago been Colleen Atwood costume designer on the movie (Sweenie Todd too or MI:III). Graham blocked them with portuguese felt.

Optimo Hats is a regular customer of Fepsa.Fepsa to this movie, and trying to fulfill Optimo demands to this movie, and Johnny Depp hat in particular, has produced an exceptional felt:beaver 50X named Black Rubby, a burgundy red one almost black.A jewel it seems.

Of course, among Fepsa happy customers there are Putin, de Niro, Cage, George W.Bush or even BYPeas among others.Even white Dallas hats were made from Fepsa felt or Indy Jones, brown and grey felt. Hermes in Paris is a regular customer too such as New Zealand Air Force or Canadian Horse Guards

If you buyed a hat at Optimo Hats you are in wonderful hands...:biggrin:...

That said, let me know if any of you need some nice customized hat.:rolleyes:This is the town of them all!!:001_tt1:

Anybody observe the 15th of September as Felt Hat Day?

I'm going to have to change my avatar back....

I have completely bastardized this rule, I really have. My initial idea was Spring forward and Fall back to be my hat transition cues. 15 September in Florida is still quite summer like and it really doesn't get Fall-like until about November anyway. Then I figured out that on rainy days, panamas are probably a poor choice as they don't do well with getting wet. So it kinda all hashed out as Spring forward means wear panamas or other straw hats, when there is a very real threat of rain either wear the panama and constantly carry an umbrella or wear the more all weather capable wool felt fedora. So yeah the official close of straw hat season is when the clocks get set back for the fall. But I will occassionally wear wool felt hats in really crappy weather in the summer. Generally though, sheer temperature dictates the use of Panamas until official fall in November.

After the clocks fall back however, wool/felt or fur hats are pretty much the standard. Not generally for head warmth as it still isn't that cold but they just seem more comfortable in the cooler temperatures.

1OldGI you are being generous when you say November. I grew up in New Port Richey (Mom still lives there) and sometimes it was still warm at Christmas. Every once in a while we would get a cold snap for a couple of weeks and we could pull out the sweaters and such. Then again my Dad had thin blood and wore a jacket and sometimes gloves while smoking in the garage from October on. Ah, New Port Richey, two seasons, Summer and Snow Bird.

rgc

Top Bottom