What's new

My dog is scared of the thunder.

We've had some severe storms out in the Kansas City region over the past few nights and my 80 lb 5 y/o Black Lab named Wyoming has had enough. During storms he's up your butt (even more so than usual), but tonight as we laid in bed he wiggled his way under the covers after a loud clap of thunder - scratching me from head to toe in the process. Hopefully he doesn't make this a habit...

Attachments

• IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    759 KB · Views: 48
You not alone brother as I have 4 dogs and they always come to me straight away right after the loud thunder storm, and when I'm in bed a sleep during the storm all 4 of them jump onto my bed.

I had an aged cat who passed away a little over a year ago who was stone deaf. It was hilarious seeing her sleep through violent thunderstorms, or see her oblivious to the fact that one of us was opening a can of food.

or see her oblivious to the fact that one of us was opening a can of food.

Sorry for your loss. Cats that can't hear the sound of a can being opened is my dream!

when I'm in bed a sleep during the storm all 4 of them jump onto my bed.

My dog kept jumping on me in the middle of the night and I got tired of him waking me up and finally let him sleep on the bed. My wife and I don't have room for us and the dog, I don't know how you fit 4 dogs!

I'm not saying this is your case, but When I was a teen, my family got a 3 1/2 year old Norwegian Elkhound. When we first got the dog less than 6 months it was fine during even the must severe thunderstorms, but my mother is extremely afraid of storms. After 6 months that dog was just as frighten of storms as she was.

On the other hand our present cat has never liked any storms or loud noises. We let her hide in the pantry or bottom kitchen cupboard till it passes.

I think it may be due to having better hearing than us sometimes.

I have one that gets pretty worked up about it and another that doesn't even flinch. My departed golden used to juMP in our bathtub every storm. Without fail. Lol

I had had a number of dogs growing up, each of them afraid of thunder, and one an absolute mess every time, especially around the 4th of July. Then my wife, kids, and I had a Lab that seemed oblivious. You could take her to a skeet range and she was completely relaxed and happy. Did I would have thought it was somehow in the breeding of Labs as hunting dogs not to be bothered by loud noises, but I guess not. Some of the dogs growing up were beagles. On might have thought they were hunting dogs and would not be afraid of things like shotguns, and they sure loved to chase rabbits. But they hated loud noises!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My father taught me how to gun break a dog with balloons. Start outside in the yard with him farther away from you then gradually move closer. It wont take long until he starts ignoring it.

Our Chrissy would slink under the computer desk in the basement and pant like crazy til the thunder passed. We got rid of the computer desk and she had to cower in the furthest corner possible in the basement. If she could, she'd have opened the door to the crawl space to hide.
All the while she would have this wide, white-eyed panicked look on her face, staring at us as if to say, "What's wrong with you morons? Get down here with me where it's safe!"
God love dogs, they are so entertaining.

It's my swmbo that is scared of thunder. She needs to be right next to me and if she's alone she'll be on the phone with family for comfort.

My dog kept jumping on me in the middle of the night and I got tired of him waking me up and finally let him sleep on the bed. My wife and I don't have room for us and the dog, I don't know how you fit 4 dogs!

That's why I have a Super King size bed so my dogs have plenty of room to allow me to sleep during the storm and in winter seasons a great way to keep warm.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have two Black Labs and they are good with thunderstorms.
Up until recently they were well adjusted to earthquakes as well, until we had a stuff falling over during a very large one. That had them on the edge for a while and they would come running to be with me, when we had aftershocks. Now they are back to be relaxed about it.

If needed we just place then on their bed and throw a blanket over them.

Our lab is also terrified of storms. She will jump in our bed in the middle of the night if there is thunder. Our 3-pound chihuahua on the other hand is completely calm during storms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 3 dogs that don't mind storms a bit. In fact, one passed through this morning. The boxers didn't move from their beds, but the lab thought it was time for breakfast (....what time isn't, for a lab?).

Yup...our 185lb Great Dane is scared of it too and wants to hide between the wife and i in bed during storms....lol.

Top Bottom