What's new

My DE razor is absolutely perfect! Does this mean I don’t need to buy any others?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
My first razor was the Merkur 33c, which is said to have the same head. Everytime I go back to it, I realize what a great razor it really is. The 38c being a 2 piece rather than a 3 piece, it would have to have different molds from the 33c. So there is a chance it could be slightly different. Throw in the tolerance factor, and wear to the molds, and your 38c head could be very different from my 33c, which I purchased 8 years ago. I believe Merkur remade some molds within that time frame, too.

It costs the company money to remake the molds, so I would assume that they wouldn't do that, unless they absolutely had to. Reasons like, bad mold, caused defective razor pieces, so in order to fix, had to re-make the mold.

Normal people only need 1 razor for entire life.

Normal people only buy another if razor is lost is broken.

Normal people only have 1 brush and 1 tube / jar of shaving cream on the den and only buy another when it is gone.

People (like us) who spend their time at shaving / grooming social network (like B & B) will never be satisfied and always looking for THE NEXT, does not matter how many razors, blades, creams, soaps, brushes and after fluids.... :c9:
:c9::c9:

I get it.
You mean to imply that we are not “normal”. :letterk1:

B.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
For years I had been using a DE razor that was just average at best. I consulted somebody that I really trust, who is in the industry, and really knows his stuff. He told me I would be very happy with the Yates 921-M.

I purchased this razor about a month ago and a couple weeks later purchased the H -base plate (1.02 mm blade gap vs. .64 mm on the M-base plate). Well, my consultant was absolutely spot on. These are the best shaves I’ve ever had in my life and this particular razor is just sheer perfection. I have no other razors to compare it to, other than my mediocre one I had been using for about 10 years plus, but thinking about the concept of simple satisficing, this razor ticks all the boxes and then some.

I asked my consultant guy about his other razors and he stated that while he loves the craftsmanship and look of his Wolfman, for example, it doesn’t provide a superior shave to the Yates. So, is the acquisition of multiple razors mostly about having nice stuff versus having superior stuff?
You should absolutely stop where you are. You have found a combo that makes you happy, so just stick with it.

But, I guarantee that there is an as-yet undiscovered other combo out there that will shave you better. :c1: :c9: :c16:

If you stop now your wallet will thank you. But you will always have the sneaking feeling in the back of your mind that there could be something better.

For years I had been using a DE razor that was just average at best. I consulted somebody that I really trust, who is in the industry, and really knows his stuff. He told me I would be very happy with the Yates 921-M.

I purchased this razor about a month ago and a couple weeks later purchased the H -base plate (1.02 mm blade gap vs. .64 mm on the M-base plate). Well, my consultant was absolutely spot on. These are the best shaves I’ve ever had in my life and this particular razor is just sheer perfection. I have no other razors to compare it to, other than my mediocre one I had been using for about 10 years plus, but thinking about the concept of simple satisficing, this razor ticks all the boxes and then some.

I asked my consultant guy about his other razors and he stated that while he loves the craftsmanship and look of his Wolfman, for example, it doesn’t provide a superior shave to the Yates. So, is the acquisition of multiple razors mostly about having nice stuff versus having superior stuff?
I can tell you that you don't need to buy any other razors, but if you're like the rest of us....you will.

I have the Yates M and H and many other razors, and I can honestly state the Yates shaves as good or better than all of them (I have a backup Yates as well). You have started off on the right foot for sure. Is there a better razor out there for you...maybe. I highly doubt you'll find anything that shaves night and day better than your Yates. You might prefer to only have one razor, but you also may decide you want some variety thrown it as well. Up to you how you proceed in your shaving quest.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I can tell you that you don't need to buy any other razors, but if you're like the rest of us....you will.

I have the Yates M and H and many other razors, and I can honestly state the Yates shaves as good or better than all of them (I have a backup Yates as well). You have started off on the right foot for sure. Is there a better razor out there for you...maybe. I highly doubt you'll find anything that shaves night and day better than your Yates. You might prefer to only have one razor, but you also may decide you want some variety thrown it as well. Up to you how you proceed in your shaving quest.
For me the EH Yates plate was stellar. The Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant was divine.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have the Yates M and H and many other razors, and I can honestly state the Yates shaves as good or better than all of them (I have a backup Yates as well).
My Yates M+EH is on the way. A Timeless .78 OC as well. All because Alpha Shaving are taking their time with Bandit. And the Razorock multiple plate slant is still unannounced as well.

I will just collect some more flashlights and knives in between. Right now I am having trouble to get an Astrolux MF01 Mini with the desired color temp and LEDs.

There are always opportunities to waste money. Razors are by far not the worst. 😎

I used a Henson for over a year and then tried the Yates. Sold my henson and have been happily using the yates ever since. Got advice from folks on this forum and it worked out great for me.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
You can't know if your razor is perfect until you try every other one
True. However,you can know if your razor delights you without trying anything else and likewise for all shaving accoutrements, including soaps, brushes, blades, and aftershaves!

My current, soon to be revised again, plan is to own 2 razors with 2 baseplates each. One plate for everyday shaves, the other for when I’ve skipped a few days. One razor in SS, the other either in brass or bronze. Then, I’d let my other razors go (I really have zero room for a collection). I know I’m going to let my Rockwell 6s go, probably my Karve CB, definitely my Gillette Slim.

I’m thinking: Lupo with 72 & 95 plates and either a Timeless 38/78 bronze or Yates M/H in brass (if/when they offer all the parts in brass).

For me the EH Yates plate was stellar. The Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant was divine.
I have the EH plate as well, but the law of diminished returns hit me with this plate. I found it less comfortable while not upping the efficiency that much over the H plate. If I was a twice a week shaver, the EH would probably work better for me. The H works great for daily shaves.

My current, soon to be revised again, plan is to own 2 razors with 2 baseplates each. One plate for everyday shaves, the other for when I’ve skipped a few days. One razor in SS, the other either in brass or bronze. Then, I’d let my other razors go (I really have zero room for a collection). I know I’m going to let my Rockwell 6s go, probably my Karve CB, definitely my Gillette Slim.

I’m thinking: Lupo with 72 & 95 plates and either a Timeless 38/78 bronze or Yates M/H in brass (if/when they offer all the parts in brass).
You may be different, but I didn't find much difference between the 72 and 95 Lupo....both shave about the same with the 95 being more comfortable. A better option may be Yates M and H or ATT SSMR and SSRH plates.

Thanks- I was kind of thinking it was the thrill of shopping. I'm on a couple of audiophile forums and some of these guys throw money around in a way that would make your head spin. I'm talking $1K for one meter speaker cables and $4K+ headphones. Yet, nothing can be shown to be superior to anything else. It looks the same on graphed data. I chalk it up to the fact that it just makes people happy. Subjective, in other words.
Sounds like Head-Fi.

I love the "golden-ears" who claim that their new, boutique, $1500 one-meter power cord makes their amplifier sound 2000% better, then discounting the miles and miles of aluminum cable supplying that power to their home outlet. It's ludicrous.

The more money I spend on shaving stuff, the more I am convinced that any of us can get a comfortable, close shave with just about any razor, assuming it is used properly. I'm NOT asserting that all razors and blades are the same, or shave the same, only that in the right hands they will perform safely and effectively.

Sounds like Head-Fi.

I love the "golden-ears" who claim that their new, boutique, $1500 one-meter power cord makes their amplifier sound 2000% better, then discounting the miles and miles of aluminum cable supplying that power to their home outlet. It's ludicrous.

The more money I spend on shaving stuff, the more I am convinced that any of us can get a comfortable, close shave with just about any razor, assuming it is used properly. I'm NOT asserting that all razors and blades are the same, or shave the same, only that in the right hands they will perform safely and effectively.
For music, I find the mastering/remastering of the recorded music is the most important thing. (I collect music from the 78 and recorded on tape era.)

For shaving, in theory, a razor with the biggest gap and blade exposure should give you the best shave if your technique is perfect and you are very careful. That being said, I prefer my razors on the milder side.

Top Bottom