What's new

My DE razor is absolutely perfect! Does this mean I don’t need to buy any others?

For years I had been using a DE razor that was just average at best. I consulted somebody that I really trust, who is in the industry, and really knows his stuff. He told me I would be very happy with the Yates 921-M.

I purchased this razor about a month ago and a couple weeks later purchased the H -base plate (1.02 mm blade gap vs. .64 mm on the M-base plate). Well, my consultant was absolutely spot on. These are the best shaves I’ve ever had in my life and this particular razor is just sheer perfection. I have no other razors to compare it to, other than my mediocre one I had been using for about 10 years plus, but thinking about the concept of simple satisficing, this razor ticks all the boxes and then some.

I asked my consultant guy about his other razors and he stated that while he loves the craftsmanship and look of his Wolfman, for example, it doesn’t provide a superior shave to the Yates. So, is the acquisition of multiple razors mostly about having nice stuff versus having superior stuff?

Last edited:
If you have found the perfect razor (for now), you better purchase another one in the event you drop it on the floor and damage it.

As you age, your beard hairs and your skin will change. Thus, unless you are already an old geezer like I am, it is likely that the razor you consider to be perfect today might not fit your needs quite as well when you become a senior citizen.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For years I had been using a DE razor that was just average at best. I consulted somebody that I really trust, who is in the industry, and really knows his stuff. He told me I would be very happy with the Yates 921-M.

I purchased this razor about a month ago and a couple weeks later purchased the H -base plate (1.02 mm blade gap vs. .64 mm on the M-base plate). Well, my consultants was absolutely spot on. These are the best shaves I’ve ever had in my life and this particular razor is just sheer perfection. I have no other razors to compare it to, other than my mediocre one I had been using for about 10 years plus, but thinking about the concept of simple satisficing, this razor ticks all the boxes and then some.

I asked my consultant guy about his other razors and he stated that while he loves the craftsmanship and look of his Wolfman, for example, it doesn’t provide a superior shave to the Yates. So, is the acquisition of multiple razors mostly about having nice stuff versus having superior stuff?

Yup. Shopping addictions, basically. The endorphin rush of a new acquisition. (I might get some flak for saying that though)

I wouldn't go so far as to say my razors are perfect, but I definitely got tired of buying new razors, and me liking what I already had more than the "new shiny" which just turned up. There may well be better (for me), razors out there, but I don't feel it's worth wading through all the razors that aren't better, in order to find them. Some folks enjoy the "hobby" of trying new stuff all the time, but I really don't want a shopping related hobby. Been there before, and I don't find it fulfilling.

Yup. Shopping addictions, basically. The endorphin rush of a new acquisition. (I might get some flak for saying that though)

I wouldn't go so far as to say my razors are perfect, but I definitely got tired of buying new razors, and me liking what I already had more than the "new shiny" which just turned up. There may well be better (for me), razors out there, but I don't feel it's worth wading through all the razors that aren't better, in order to find them. Some folks enjoy the "hobby" of trying new stuff all the time, but I really don't want a shopping related hobby. Been there before, and I don't find it fulfilling.
Thanks- I was kind of thinking it was the thrill of shopping. I'm on a couple of audiophile forums and some of these guys throw money around in a way that would make your head spin. I'm talking $1K for one meter speaker cables and $4K+ headphones. Yet, nothing can be shown to be superior to anything else. It looks the same on graphed data. I chalk it up to the fact that it just makes people happy. Subjective, in other words.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Different people have different reasons for buying anything and those reasons may change over time. Likewise, what is superior for one may not be for another. I like variety so I have about a dozen vintage user grade razors, as I value the character and history which only they offer, and to which I add by using them. I don't care about the quality or the closeness of the shave itself, what is important to me is the inner contentment I get from the shave. A combination of a vintage soap, vintage razor, vintage aftershave, and face lathering with a small scrubby brush simply makes me feel good about life and about myself. It took me a few years and many purchases to work that out but in truth I can get just as good a shave with a 5$ tech and a can of Barbasol. If you have an itch to buy something then buy it 👍

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would just enjoy your new razor and if down the road you feel it is not performing maybe revaluate. There will always be razors out there for every wish a man or women wants in their shave, history seems to suggest. I have lots of razors and I seem to like Varity & history of the safety razor origins I have concluded. I can pick up almost any razor it seems and crank out a decent shave now compared to when I first started 5 years ago.

Last edited:

I purchased this razor about a month ago and a couple weeks later purchased the H -base plate (1.02 mm blade gap vs. .64 mm on the M-base plate). Well, my consultant was absolutely spot on. These are the best shaves I’ve ever had in my life and this particular razor is just sheer perfection.
What is missing is are you a daily shaver and what was wrong with the Merkur 38C. The razor blade also has a big influence on the shave so maybe you are still using the same blade or changed to a different blade; cannot tell from your original post.
No reason why the Yates razor 921-H cannot perform well as your razor from now but it is confusing why the 1.02mm blade gap is better. Out of interest, it would be nice to know the blade exposures on the Yates-M and Yates-H; negative, neutral or positive is all I am looking for so you can check that with a straight edge on the shaving plane.
Otherwise, enjoy your new razor.
For a daily shave I cannot fault the Merkur 34C with a GSB blade.

Reactions: Kix
“The better is the enemy of the good”, and sooner or later something better is bound to come along.

Admittedly, safety razors have evolved over more than 100 years and there are no stellar discoveries (discounting sales hype) to be expected, but tighter tolerances, new materials (titanium) that promise better balance, and other small improvements, etc. will sooner or later appear.

Whether the expense is worth the improvement is a highly personal decision and some people prefer vintage razors or rather stay with the true and tested…

B.

So, is the acquisition of multiple razors mostly about having nice stuff versus having superior stuff?
For me it is more about experiencing variety. I have acquired several razors, and am in the process of determining which ones to keep. My experience has been wide enough that the endorphin rush of trying the next thing is diminishing. I have been selling off the ones that don't perform as well for me.

If it helps you resist the urge to spend, I also happen to one for whom the Yates 921 is my shaving soul mate. The test for me is the chin area, and the 921 just works for me there.

If you are interested in other razors that may be compatible, my next favorites are Tatara Muramasa adjustable (very close 2nd; amazing efficiency and comfort on the chin), Henson AL13 medium, and Merkur Progress.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ve posted here many times, I’m content with my Claymore Evolutions (polished and matte).

I’m not committed to never buying anything different but I’m cool for now.

I reached the end of my brush acquisition phase and am getting them all broken-in.

What’s left to purchase? Well, Scott from Captains Choice will be releasing some newly designed soap lockers in a few weeks. <eg> (evil grin)

Finding the best razor possible is the main goal for some, while others keep trying and trying just to see if there's anything better, but since more and more new razors are introduced every month, I don't think they will reach their limit anytime soon, but even if they don't they will have a lot of fun in the process.

When I first started DE shaving I wanted to find something better and hopefully cheaper than cartridges and overtime my desires have changed quite a few times over the years and the only thing I know for sure is that I will never be able to save money from shaving.

Now, a few years later and after trying lots of razors and other shaving products I began to have a much more clear image of what I really want and goal currently is to wait for my last razors to arrive. Among them are some of the few missing vintage razors that I always wanted to have an one modern - the Blackland Blackbird.

If the Blackbird is indeed as good as others claim it is and I really like it, then I might stop looking for modern razors for a while or perhaps entirely, unless something really inovative and overhyped is introduced of course, but I can't make any promises. With the vintage razors however, my journey is about to end sooner or later, since there are only a few razors left on my list that I want to have in my collection and once I get them, the door will be closed forever.

I'm in no hurry to hunt for the last remaining vintage razors, so I'm not really worried about it and my hunt might take a few years. As much as I want just to get what I want and let this madness end once and for all, I think that I will get bored after a while and I'm going to miss the thrills of hunting yet another new or vintage razors. After all - the hunter is nothing without the hunt.

Top Bottom