What's new

My DE razor is absolutely perfect! Does this mean I don’t need to buy any others?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
From asking around here, I don't think I could find a better shaving razor... different, yes... equal, perhaps....but I seriously doubt I can get a better shave than I'm getting now. I've experimented with all the AC blades currently available except the two most aggressive Feather AC's... the Feather Pro and the Super.... I don't need anything closer than I'm getting now.

It has been suggested I take up straight razor shaving, but until I take the plunge and try one of my two AC barber razors, I won't be heading in that direction.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Sounds like Head-Fi.

Head-Fi is a neat site to learn about audio, but I too noticed the audio based rabbit holes likes the expensive cables lol. This is why, when upgrading my audio equipment, I weighed in the options to what I could get, for an affordable price, without getting too deep in the weeds. A few years ago, I bought an S.M.S.L SP200 AMP and an S.M.S.L M200 DAC, and V-Moda Crossfade LP2 can's. I have been very pleased with this setup, and have no wish to have more.

I certainly don't need no 1000 dollar cable, but if it makes people happy to have one of those, more power to them. I just use those really nice and affordable 18 gauge Monoprice RCA cables. And I use an 18 gauge AUX headphone cable to maintain detail, all that I need! I also have a Vintage Realistic 12-band hardware equalizer that I got cheap off Ebay, that does all that I need.

Head-Fi is a neat site to learn about audio, but I too noticed the audio based rabbit holes likes the expensive cables lol. This is why, when upgrading my audio equipment, I weighed in the options to what I could get, for an affordable price, without getting too deep in the weeds. A few years ago, I bought an S.M.S.L SP200 AMP and an S.M.S.L M200 DAC, and V-Moda Crossfade LP2 can's. I have been very pleased with this setup, and have no wish to have more.

I certainly don't need no 1000 dollar cable, but if it makes people happy to have one of those, more power to them. I just use those really nice and affordable 18 gauge Monoprice RCA cables. And I use an 18 gauge AUX headphone cable to maintain detail, all that I need! I also have a Vintage Realistic 12-band hardware equalizer that I got cheap off Ebay, that does all that I need.
Yeah, I stopped with a Woo Audio tube amp and three entry level cans: Grado SR60 (with aftermarket wood cups), Grado 325i, and Sennheiser HD500. Bought every NOS 5U4G "coke bottle" rectifier tube I could find on Ebay for about a year, and have an old TV repairman's case full of tubes, and then...

...on to razors!

But seriously, I'm reaching my saturation point on shaving hardware. I have enough stuff to keep me busy for a long time and will mostly stick with software. Even then I have enough soap, cream, and aftershave to last me quite a while.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Yeah, I stopped with a Woo Audio tube amp and three entry level cans: Grado SR60 (with aftermarket wood cups), Grado 325i, and Sennheiser HD500. Bought every NOS 5U4G "coke bottle" rectifier tube I could find on Ebay for about a year, and have an old TV repairman's case full of tubes, and then...

...on to razors!

But seriously, I'm reaching my saturation point on shaving hardware. I have enough stuff to keep me busy for a long time and will mostly stick with software. Even then I have enough soap, cream, and aftershave to last me quite a while.

Dude, you have sweet audio gear, Grado makes good stuff! And yes, onwards return to razors. And that is 100% the mindset that I have right now, I'm done buying more razors, I got all I need. Its funny how we call, soap software, I guess cause its soft IDK HEHE. I also feel the same way, gotta love those scents! 😁

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

...on to razors!

I've reached a point where I'm content with my shaving set-up. I just finished up my brush collection to my satisfaction. Like you, I have everything I need for years to come. I might add a pre-shave and one of Captain's Choice's newly designed soap lockers when they are released in a few weeks. Other than that, I have nothing on my buy list.

My stereo stuff has been the same for a few decades now. I assembled it when I was on the road in industrial sales. I covered a few states so I was able to frequent quite a few high end shops during that period and listen to some decent stuff. I bought what I could afford... Rega and Vandersteen... and eventually got Van Alstine electronics to power them. Not audiophile stuff.... but mid range, competent equipment that has brought us hours of enjoyment over the years.

I've reached a point where I'm content with my shaving set-up. I just finished up my brush collection to my satisfaction. Like you, I have everything I need for years to come. I might add a pre-shave and one of Captain's Choice's newly designed soap lockers when they are released in a few weeks. Other than that, I have nothing on my buy list.

My stereo stuff has been the same for a few decades now. I assembled it when I was on the road in industrial sales. I covered a few states so I was able to frequent quite a few high end shops during that period and listen to some decent stuff. I bought what I could afford... Rega and Vandersteen... and eventually got Van Alstine electronics to power them. Not audiophile stuff.... but mid range, competent equipment that has brought us hours of enjoyment over the years.
Soap locker?...why have I not heard of this item?...I must have one!!! 😄😄😄

Most of us feel different razors, some prefer aggressive, others mild.

Each one will be different from one person to another.

I found my perfect razor a few times, which didn't stop me from checking others (or maybe there is a better one).

I have my favorites ... a few of a dozen razors ... a favorite depending on the day, attitude, mood,

So a few good efficient machines that you can choose and use depending on the day and mood ... is a good solution for me.

Regards. 😉

For years I had been using a DE razor that was just average at best. I consulted somebody that I really trust, who is in the industry, and really knows his stuff. He told me I would be very happy with the Yates 921-M.

I purchased this razor about a month ago and a couple weeks later purchased the H -base plate (1.02 mm blade gap vs. .64 mm on the M-base plate). Well, my consultant was absolutely spot on. These are the best shaves I’ve ever had in my life and this particular razor is just sheer perfection. I have no other razors to compare it to, other than my mediocre one I had been using for about 10 years plus, but thinking about the concept of simple satisficing, this razor ticks all the boxes and then some.

I asked my consultant guy about his other razors and he stated that while he loves the craftsmanship and look of his Wolfman, for example, it doesn’t provide a superior shave to the Yates. So, is the acquisition of multiple razors mostly about having nice stuff versus having superior stuff?
There are a lot of razors out there with different personalities, and it's fun to meet them! I've just discovered the Henson mild, which is unlike anything I've ever shaved with before. Very mild yet efficient, aluminum and light, but appealing anyway. I think there will always be something else out there, you just have to decide for yourself when you're done. And, you can change your mind.

For years I had been using a DE razor that was just average at best. I consulted somebody that I really trust, who is in the industry, and really knows his stuff. He told me I would be very happy with the Yates 921-M.

I purchased this razor about a month ago and a couple weeks later purchased the H -base plate (1.02 mm blade gap vs. .64 mm on the M-base plate). Well, my consultant was absolutely spot on. These are the best shaves I’ve ever had in my life and this particular razor is just sheer perfection. I have no other razors to compare it to, other than my mediocre one I had been using for about 10 years plus, but thinking about the concept of simple satisficing, this razor ticks all the boxes and then some.

I asked my consultant guy about his other razors and he stated that while he loves the craftsmanship and look of his Wolfman, for example, it doesn’t provide a superior shave to the Yates. So, is the acquisition of multiple razors mostly about having nice stuff versus having superior stuff?
"Is the acquisition of multiple razors mostly about having nice stuff versus having superior stuff?"

This if for you to decide. I'd say, if I'm being honest, owning multiple razors is about having options, on a superficial level and more about being a collector on a deeper level.

The concept of superiority is in the eyes of the beholder. I myself would love to own a Wolfman razor (but don't have the funds for it). I might say that visually or aesthetically it's superior to many or most other razors. That doesn't mean it provides a "superior" shave. Who knows though? We all have different faces with different types of hair and use different soaps and blades. So many variables to provide so many opinions.

If you love the results you receive from your Yates, then it doesn't sound like you have a need to buy others. If you like variety and have a curious nature like I do, then by all means try some others. We're all on a journey so think about what is best for you and run with that.

"Is the acquisition of multiple razors mostly about having nice stuff versus having superior stuff?"

This if for you to decide. I'd say, if I'm being honest, owning multiple razors is about having options, on a superficial level and more about being a collector on a deeper level.

The concept of superiority is in the eyes of the beholder. I myself would love to own a Wolfman razor (but don't have the funds for it). I might say that visually or aesthetically it's superior to many or most other razors. That doesn't mean it provides a "superior" shave. Who knows though? We all have different faces with different types of hair and use different soaps and blades. So many variables to provide so many opinions.

If you love the results you receive from your Yates, then it doesn't sound like you have a need to buy others. If you like variety and have a curious nature like I do, then by all means try some others. We're all on a journey so think about what is best for you and run with that.
Indeed- the Wolfman caught my eye immediately, as it's one of the most visually stunning ones I've come across. Super pricey, even used, so that's a deterrent.

Its a matter of choice. If you have a razor that gives you the shave you want no need to buy others. If your like me 1 is never enough lol. I have about 25,do I neen them, nope. I have become a collector its become a hobby. I could have stopped at 2. My second razor was a mergress and that gives me as good a shave as any. If you have the money and like to switch up go for it!😁

Finding the best razor possible is the main goal for some, while others keep trying and trying just to see if there's anything better, but since more and more new razors are introduced every month, I don't think they will reach their limit anytime soon, but even if they don't they will have a lot of fun in the process.

When I first started DE shaving I wanted to find something better and hopefully cheaper than cartridges and overtime my desires have changed quite a few times over the years and the only thing I know for sure is that I will never be able to save money from shaving.

Now, a few years later and after trying lots of razors and other shaving products I began to have a much more clear image of what I really want and goal currently is to wait for my last razors to arrive. Among them are some of the few missing vintage razors that I always wanted to have an one modern - the Blackland Blackbird.

If the Blackbird is indeed as good as others claim it is and I really like it, then I might stop looking for modern razors for a while or perhaps entirely, unless something really inovative and overhyped is introduced of course, but I can't make any promises. With the vintage razors however, my journey is about to end sooner or later, since there are only a few razors left on my list that I want to have in my collection and once I get them, the door will be closed forever.

I'm in no hurry to hunt for the last remaining vintage razors, so I'm not really worried about it and my hunt might take a few years. As much as I want just to get what I want and let this madness end once and for all, I think that I will get bored after a while and I'm going to miss the thrills of hunting yet another new or vintage razors. After all - the hunter is nothing without the hunt.
Why would you even think about a different razor if you have found your Holy Grail? You would be going down a rabbit hole you would never get out of. Consider yourself very lucky and stop a never ending and potentially expensive, fruitless, and frustrating search for perfection.

Why would you even think about a different razor if you have found your Holy Grail? You would be going down a rabbit hole you would never get out of. Consider yourself very lucky and stop a never ending and potentially expensive, fruitless, and frustrating search for perfection.
I think you’re right. I received two other razors from PIF’s and neither come close to the results I get from my Yates 921.

I've pretty much found the best razors for me, but I'm also a collector of vintage Gillette razors and there's just one model that I want to have in my collection and that's it.

I have no need to keep the modern razors that I don't use very often, so I might sell most of them at some point and wait a few years before something else comes up and give it a try. The other thing is that I might get in straight razors too and who knows how things are going to end up.

Top Bottom