What's new

My DE razor is absolutely perfect! Does this mean I don’t need to buy any others?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
For years I had been using a DE razor that was just average at best. I consulted somebody that I really trust, who is in the industry, and really knows his stuff. He told me I would be very happy with the Yates 921-M.

I purchased this razor about a month ago and a couple weeks later purchased the H -base plate (1.02 mm blade gap vs. .64 mm on the M-base plate). Well, my consultant was absolutely spot on. These are the best shaves I’ve ever had in my life and this particular razor is just sheer perfection. I have no other razors to compare it to, other than my mediocre one I had been using for about 10 years plus, but thinking about the concept of simple satisficing, this razor ticks all the boxes and then some.

I asked my consultant guy about his other razors and he stated that while he loves the craftsmanship and look of his Wolfman, for example, it doesn’t provide a superior shave to the Yates. So, is the acquisition of multiple razors mostly about having nice stuff versus having superior stuff?
Everybody's face, skin and beard are different. What one shaver considers nirvana may not appeal to another.

If the Yates is your nirvana, enjoy it in good health. :)

Thanks- I was kind of thinking it was the thrill of shopping. I'm on a couple of audiophile forums and some of these guys throw money around in a way that would make your head spin. I'm talking $1K for one meter speaker cables and $4K+ headphones. Yet, nothing can be shown to be superior to anything else. It looks the same on graphed data. I chalk it up to the fact that it just makes people happy. Subjective, in other words.

Been into audio since the 1960s. I like to think of myself as belonging to the "Observational" school of audio fanatics, as opposed to "Objective" or "Subjective".

We'll have to agree to disagree where correlating static measurements to actual audio quality is concerned. ;)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have 2 Overlanders thanks to @Phoenixkh and now it looks like I need a Claymore. Maybe if he stops buying razors, I might as well?

Yeah, just passed all culpability your way buddy!
I am not guilty of enabling your Overlands. <eg>

But if you buy a Claymore Evo... and love it, of course... I'll take the credit. If you hate the Claymore Evo, I'll deny mentioning it. <Eg> (evil grin) That might be tough to do since I have so many posts mentioning it. ;)

I see no need to accumulate a bunch of average razors myself. I am perfectly happy with one or two great looking and excellent shaving razors rather than a junk drawer full of miscellaneous $20-$50 razors. To each their own in this game. Happy shaves with your current #1.
You seem to be implying that a $20-50 razor will not perform well. Not so. Ou au contraire, si vous préférez.

:hand:

I am not guilty of enabling your Overlands. <eg>

But if you buy a Claymore Evo... and love it, of course... I'll take the credit. If you hate the Claymore Evo, I'll deny mentioning it. <Eg> (evil grin) That might be tough to do since I have so many posts mentioning it. ;)
Lol, you are correct sir, my apologies. All Overlander credit goes to @Mr. Shavington who also is a big fan of the Claymore. It would be so neat to see a gold Claymore Evo!

You seem to be implying that a $20-50 razor will not perform well. Not so. Ou au contraire, si vous préférez.

:hand:
Cheap razors will perform; but does it bring you any pleasure? I shave for pleasure nowadays. I am no longer shaving because the job regulations require my facial hair within specs; I can now take more than 5 minutes to shave; lastly, I now have a choice in my kit. I get great shaves with a freebie promotional razor (pictured), but I rarely use it because it brings me zero pleasure just like using those blue plastic disposable razors. Have fun and actually enjoy your shaves with whatever razor makes you happy 😃
688F384F-D026-4B4B-B42F-51C9A2F064CE.jpeg

Normal people only need 1 razor for entire life.

Normal people only buy another if razor is lost is broken.

Normal people only have 1 brush and 1 tube / jar of shaving cream on the den and only buy another when it is gone.

People (like us) who spend their time at shaving / grooming social network (like B & B) will never be satisfied and always looking for THE NEXT, does not matter how many razors, blades, creams, soaps, brushes and after fluids.... :c9:
:c9::c9:

If you have found the perfect razor (for now), you better purchase another one in the event you drop it on the floor and damage it.

As you age, your beard hairs and your skin will change. Thus, unless you are already an old geezer like I am, it is likely that the razor you consider to be perfect today might not fit your needs quite as well when you become a senior citizen.
Is this ever the truth!!! Ten years ago I could use just about anything: Techs, Slims, SS’s, dozens of soaps and creams, a multitude of blades. And then …… BAM! I’m in my 70’s and things changed!
Now it seems the only razor that is comfortable on my skin is a Feather Popular. Same blades, soaps, creams, but all the other razors irritate me! Go figure. Nothing lasts forever.

And, yes, it is possible to get wonderful shaves from less-expensive tools.

To the OP: No, you do not need to buy any more razors.

Curious, which plate do you prefer: H or M?

I do not need any more razors either, but Yates is recommended so often that I am intrigued. And it is not ridiculously priced. I did not know they had a sale today… oh noooooo!

Congratulations on finding “The ONE” DE razor.
I’ve heard great reports about the Yates razor and am glad that it is DE awesome-sauce for you.
Now, the real answer to your question.
Keep searching? Maybe!

If you are interested, I can send you an SE razor or two and some blades. (I’m thinking a GEM MicroMatic Open Comb and GEM Damaskene.)
These will be GEM Razors and GEM PTFE blades.
They are totally different than your beloved Yates and might just inspire a different type of razor love that provides immensely great shaves.
Just let me know if you want to try the SE, I think it stands for Super Excellence, or something like that, and I’ll enable (oops, I mean ship those to you) your dive into SE.
Tim

Cheap razors will perform; but does it bring you any pleasure? I shave for pleasure nowadays. I am no longer shaving because the job regulations require my facial hair within specs; I can now take more than 5 minutes to shave; lastly, I now have a choice in my kit. I get great shaves with a freebie promotional razor (pictured), but I rarely use it because it brings me zero pleasure just like using those blue plastic disposable razors. Have fun and actually enjoy your shaves with whatever razor makes you happy 😃
View attachment 1464337
Of course, my inexpensive razor brings me pleasure even after about 1,000 shaves. It dances will with Astra SP blades and ARKO. And a new one is only $13.29.

Normal people only have 1 brush and 1 tube / jar of shaving cream on the den and only buy another when it is gone.

People (like us) who spend their time at shaving / grooming social network (like B & B) will never be satisfied and always looking for THE NEXT, does not matter how many razors, blades, creams, soaps, brushes and after fluids.... :c9:
We are no different than other hobbyists. We collect. It is no stanger than stamp collecting, baseball card collecting, comic book collecting, vintage car collecting, etc.

Yes, of course my razors bring me pleasure, and cost does not have all that much to do with it. They aren't plastic freebies or junk. I'm not sure where that false equivalence comes from. Perhaps an attempt to put others down? Whatever.

Congratulations on finding “The ONE” DE razor.
I’ve heard great reports about the Yates razor and am glad that it is DE awesome-sauce for you.
Now, the real answer to your question.
Keep searching? Maybe!

If you are interested, I can send you an SE razor or two and some blades. (I’m thinking a GEM MicroMatic Open Comb and GEM Damaskene.)
These will be GEM Razors and GEM PTFE blades.
They are totally different than your beloved Yates and might just inspire a different type of razor love that provides immensely great shaves.
Just let me know if you want to try the SE, I think it stands for Super Excellence, or something like that, and I’ll enable (oops, I mean ship those to you) your dive into SE.
Tim
He needs to try a vintage Schick injector as well. I would recommend a type M adjustable and call it a day.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

You know why? Its because were not just wet shavers, were wet shaving connoisseurs. Some like their red wine, we like our razors. And thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Top Bottom