What's new

My DE progression-what next?

Long time DE user with following history.Each razor was used a few years before the next one.
1. Edwin Jagger DE89
2. Razorock Mamba
3. Rockwell 6c (plates 5 &6)
4. Razorock Gamechanger .68 & .84

Ive got the itch to try something else.Prefer to stay under or around $100. I’m an everyday,3 pass shaver. I want the razor head to be maneuverable and thin enough to get under the nose and handle the contours of my chin.
PS- I recently acquired a RR German slant during Black Friday sale to try, so not currently interested in another slant.
Thanks for any advice you may have .

Last edited:
If you like an aggressive/efficient modern razor, I'd suggest the Muhle R41 to add to your collection.

I've have all the razors in your list, plus a bunch more. If the R41 wasn't in my collection, I'd really miss it. It's less than half of your budget ($44 online right now). But note that it is chrome plated metal and not stainless steel if that matters to you.

I'd suggest the Muhle Rocca in your choice of R94, R95, or R96. Or alternatively the Edwin Jagger 3one6 in your choice of color. Either can be found for around $100 on sale.

Since it's a "progression" how about a Merkur Progress!
20210429_092019.jpg

Mühle R41 is a very efficient razor and a really good design in my opinion. I also like the Lupo .95.
From the reviews I’ve read, the R 41 may be too aggressive for me. How would the EJ 3one6 fit into the progression?

I am fairly new to shaving with double edge razors and I felt the same as you (intimidated by the R41's "aggressive" reputation). I took a chance and picked one up. I'm glad I did.

The R41 is very efficient. For me this means less time for the blade touching my face and thus less chance for irritation. I use good pre-shave prep, a very light touch (no pressure), and short strokes and the R41 gives me very good shaves.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Long time DE user with following history.Each razor was used a few years before the next one.
1. Edwin Jagger DE89
2. Razorock Mamba

Ive got the itch to try something else.Prefer to stay under or around $100. I’m an everyday,3 pass shaver. I want the razor head to be maneuverable and thin enough to get under the nose and handle the contours of my chin.
PS- I recently acquired a RR German slant during Black Friday sale to try, so not currently interested in another slant.

A few questions, if I may:

Please describe your skin type (sensitive or not?), face type (nooks and crannies?), beard type (thick vs. sparse, coarse vs. fine) and beard growth patterns (predictable vs. chaotic).

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
+1 for the Progress a brilliant razor you can adjust on the fly with just a twist of the plastic dial at the bottom of the razor, which by the I really like because it gives that retro look.

I'm a daily shaver with 2 passes WTG and XTG plus the odd touch ups. I usually shave around setting 4 or 5. But I have shaved at setting 7 even though there only 5 settings on the razor you just dial passed the + sign this really ups the efficiency.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmd

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Not sure what your opinion of the RR Game Changer razors are, but their Lupo razors are excellent. I would recommend waiting for a couple weeks...they're coming out with the .72 Lupo in an Open Comb configuration. Best of luck with your choice.

A +1 on the Lupos (95 SB is a bliss) and on an adjustable razor (in the given price range you might want to consider a Merkur Progress or a Pearl Flexi - both shave excellent).

Please describe your skin type (sensitive or not?), face type (nooks and crannies?), beard type (thick vs. sparse, coarse vs. fine) and beard growth patterns (predictable vs. chaotic).

my skin is a bit sensitive, but not overly.My chin has a prominent dimple or cleft.Beard type-average, I would say and grows in different directions, but predictably

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
my skin is a bit sensitive, but not overly.My chin has a prominent dimple or cleft.Beard type-average, I would say and grows in different directions, but predictably
New razors only? Will you consider vintage?

Check out my comparison of razors in the US$75 to US$125 price range. These are all new:

Thread 'Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)' Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/comparison-of-de-razors-in-my-den-from-75-to-125-usd.600310/

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
1. Edwin Jagger DE89
2. Razorock Mamba

For comparison, the GC .84-P remains a razor I occasionally use.

Of the razors in the comparison thread linked above, the Karve Brass offers plates from extremely mild to one of my Big Dogs, the SB-G.

The Rex Envoy is also one of my Big Dogs and passes the Daily Driver test.

Be happy to answer any questions.

Hope this is helpful to you in your search. :)

Reactions: jmd
RR Lupo .72 or .95 or possibly open comb plate for your GC .84.
I started with GC .68 then upgraded to a Lupo.72, and I like it very much. Bought a .84 oc plate so I would get some use out of that razor being that the .68 was too mild after using the Lupo.

Top Bottom