What's new

My DE progression-what next?

From the reviews I’ve read, the R 41 may be too aggressive for me. How would the EJ 3one6 fit into the progression?
The 3one6 is a great performer. Way better than the DE89 IMHO. It is very similar to the Muhle Rocca in terms of shaving performance.

Long time DE user with following history.Each razor was used a few years before the next one.
1. Edwin Jagger DE89
2. Razorock Mamba
3. Rockwell 6c (plates 5 &6)
4. Razorock Gamechanger .68 & .84

Ive got the itch to try something else.Prefer to stay under or around $100. I’m an everyday,3 pass shaver. I want the razor head to be maneuverable and thin enough to get under the nose and handle the contours of my chin.
PS- I recently acquired a RR German slant during Black Friday sale to try, so not currently interested in another slant.
Thanks for any advice you may have .
All the razors in your list (except the German Slant) are mild. Are you intentionally going for mild razors? I am asking since most members in the thread recommend aggressive razors to you.

All the razors in your list (except the German Slant) are mild. Are you intentionally going for mild razors? I am asking since most members in the thread recommend aggressive razors to you
I wouldn’t mind stepping up a bit on the mild/aggressive scale, but I’m not looking for a razor generally thought to be aggressive

I wouldn’t mind stepping up a bit on the mild/aggressive scale, but I’m not looking for a razor generally thought to be aggressive
3ONE6. I would recommend one of the lighter aluminium handles with SS ends. The Knurled all-stainless steel 3ONE6 handle tends to unglue. I have already seen 3 on the Internet.

May I ask how long that Progress has been used before the crack on the handle appeared?
I can't say because I bought it used and it was caked inside and out with dried soap. I have never purchased a razor in such condition before. It was very cheap and I have a tendency to take in strays. She cleaned up well enough with soaking and elbow grease. Was she dropped? It looks like the baseplate is pressure fit to the brass handle, so maybe it has the same problem as the old Gillettes. It's hard to date these but it has the current markings.

I can't say because I bought it used and it was caked inside and out with dried soap. I have never purchased a razor in such condition before. It was very cheap and I have a tendency to take in strays. She cleaned up well enough with soaking and elbow grease. Was she dropped? It looks like the baseplate is pressure fit to the brass handle, so maybe it has the same problem as the old Gillettes. It's hard to date these but it has the current markings.
Definitely older, not current. Yours has dots between the numbers. All mine were bought in the last 2-3 years and have vertical lines instead of those dots.

progress numbers.jpg

3ONE6. I would recommend one of the lighter aluminium handles with SS ends. The Knurled all-stainless steel 3ONE6 handle tends to unglue. I have already seen 3 on the Internet.
Ivan -can you give me some examples of the replacement handles you’re talking about?Thanks

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Razorock 2nd Generation Lupo.72 or Yaqi "The Final cut, aka-TFC) adjustable are good razors and well thought out IMO.

(Some old archived photo's) Click on photo to enlarge!
Lupo collage #3.jpg
Yaqi V3 TFC adjustable razor, chrome & Gun metal color, MFG 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

My first suggestion was the Muhle R41, but I also have to agree with everybody who has recommended the RazoRock Lupo 95. The Lupo 95 SB is a particular favorite of mine, and I think it would also fit in well with your collection.

Thin head, super maneuverable, semi-aggressive: sounds like a Schick injector. E’s and G’s with a Chinese Schick are my favorites but they all shave well, better than any DE.

I’ll throw in the Leaf Twig (superbly maneuverable, thin head for under the nose, can adjust the aggressiveness by blade choice) and another vote for the Schick injectors.

My recommendation for the ''best'' for around $100 would be the Lupo .95 and the Karve Overlander.
Do the aluminum and brass versions of the Overlander shave about the same? How does it compare to the Lupo in terms of efficiency, smoothness and aggression? Thanks

Top Bottom