What's new

My daughter checked out the razors and brushes in my shaving den.

My daughter checked out the razors and brushes in my shaving den.

My daughter showed some curiosity about my shaving den. First, she asked me to show her my favorite razors. I first showed her my Red tip which is a new acquisition tome and is still being evaluated. (the evaluation is going well). Then I brought out my favorites, The Canadian prewar tech The Gillette slim and the Henson medium in blue steel. She liked the Henson the best, she said it was the best looking and had the best design. Then she asked what we should call it. I said how about Henson here is the box it came in. She was surprised it was new and not vintage.

Then she checked out my brushes. She did a cursory inspection of my brushes. Noted the ruby handled T3 Trafalgar Simpson. Then she asked about which brush is the one I refurbished. Then she saw my Semogue 1305 boar with all the split ends sprouting from the knot. She told me I needed to replace the knot on that one. I told her the split end knot is what you want in a boar brush it makes it a great brush.

She was taken aback by the fact it was made of boar hair. She likes pigs and cows and won’t eat them. I told her some of the brushes were made of badger hair too. Then she asked if any of the brushes were synthetic. I said yes some were. I showed her which ones were synthetic. It was strange it was like she instinctually knew that synthetic brushes existed.

Then she asked if I ever use the Mach 3 cartridges. I said never that is for you and my wife.

I than showed her the mild Henson I gave my wife. My wife walked in and told my daughter to back off that was her razor, and she can’t take it. A time back she took my wife’s Mach 3 that is why my wife got a Henson.

She said I had a weird hobby. I said yes it was weird. Then I told her used to have another weird hobby when I lived up north. Mushroom hunting. She said that was weird too.

I must admit that I like the idea of our young people taking an interest in the hobby and especially the idea that they make an informed choice on brush selection that agrees with their principles and blade and razor selection that produce minimum waste. I wish my daughter took a similar interest!

I am confused because I was reading this thinking she's under 5 years old, which is cute and endearing.
Then I reread your story about her frowning upon the use of natural hair, which suggests she is smart enough to deduct how these hairs are harvested.
And then I read she has confiscated your wife's Mach 3, which would suggest she has growth on her legs and armpits to shave off.
Is she really 16? :D

My little girl is five and a half and she's very interested in these things. She feels and smells my face every morning and tries to guess which aftershave I have used.
She hates bay rum (pirate) and spicey scents. She loves Clubman Pinaud and calls it "the doughnut".
This morning, whilst I was stropping, she asked me what I was doing to my straight razor, so I explained. She said it looked really cool.

We occassionally lather up together. She'll use a brush she likes, which surprisingly is a cheap synthetic Fine brush with red and white handle. She'll lather up her face and then use her grandpa's Gillette twist to shave off the lather.
She makes funny faces while shaving because she says that's what daddy does. :)

P.S. She gets a rash from Cella red.

P.P.S. She doesn't think my hobby is weird...it's a matter of time I guess. :)

🍄 hunting is kinda weird. You need to set traps for them or do you sit in a blind and make Mushroom calls?:lol1:

Glad to see your daughter express an interest. I sold my kiddos on the lesser impact on the environment.
You walk thru the woods and look for them. It is weird you feel like you have to sneak up on them.

I am confused because I was reading this thinking she's under 5 years old, which is cute and endearing.
Then I reread your story about her frowning upon the use of natural hair, which suggests she is smart enough to deduct how these hairs are harvested.
And then I read she has confiscated your wife's Mach 3, which would suggest she has growth on her legs and armpits to shave off.
Is she really 16? :D

My little girl is five and a half and she's very interested in these things. She feels and smells my face every morning and tries to guess which aftershave I have used.
She hates bay rum (pirate) and spicey scents. She loves Clubman Pinaud and calls it "the doughnut".
This morning, whilst I was stropping, she asked me what I was doing to my straight razor, so I explained. She said it looked really cool.

We occassionally lather up together. She'll use a brush she likes, which surprisingly is a cheap synthetic Fine brush with red and white handle. She'll lather up her face and then use her grandpa's Gillette twist to shave off the lather.
She makes funny faces while shaving because she says that's what daddy does. :)

P.S. She gets a rash from Cella red.

P.P.S. She doesn't think my hobby is weird...it's a matter of time I guess. :)
Yes actually she is 16. She is pretty aware of a lot of the current issues in the world. She calls me a boomer if I say somthing that she thinks is out of touch. That gets me because I'm not a boomer i'm gen x and have lived in the shadow of boomers all my life.

Yes actually she is 16. She is pretty aware of a lot of the current issues in the world. She calls me a boomer if I say somthing that she thinks is out of touch. That gets me because I'm not a boomer i'm gen x and have lived in the shadow of boomers all my life.
My oldest granddaughter has made those comments. I told her, clearly I was not. Smirking, she said, "Why not?" I said if a man in the "Boomer" generation listened to music referring to women as "b*****s", he would not have been able to use his money in town, probably not even in most bars, and if it was language he personally used, he'd have broken bones. I turned around with my hands out, on the Strand in Galveston, a few weeks after Mardi Grais, with the bikers & various weekend partiers 40+ yoa hanging around. She opened her mouth. Closed it.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@Slock ,

If your progeny doesn’t already have a folding Opinel mushroom knife with integral brush in its pommel, you may have a common ground means of sharing your bristles addiction with the mycologist of your household.

@Slock ,

If your progeny doesn’t already have a folding Opinel mushroom knife with integral brush in its pommel, you may have a common ground means of sharing your bristles addiction with the mycologist of your household.
I gave up mushroom hunting. Florida isn't a great state for mushrooms unless you like the magic ones. That is problematic in itself. Magic musrooms in Florida grow on cow dung and are illegal to possess. You have to deal with the rancher, the bulls that inhabit the pasture and the police.

Would never want to hallucinate in a humid state. The dangers would culminate and abate.

What about oyster mushrooms?
I have found Oyster mushrooms in the north but they dont grow here in Florida. Plus its so hot in Florida they dont last very long.
I like fishing in Florida but that actually isn't a weird hobby.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
With grabbing illicit fungals from cattle fields off the table, there are mushroom-shaped makeup brushes that would be neat

D60753CA-F775-439D-A0B7-9866486FDD02.jpeg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
You walk thru the woods and look for them. It is weird you feel like you have to sneak up on them.
IKR! My jest was intended to point out that we FORAGE mushrooms where I'm from. Hunting seems much more interesting, yet the shrooms that need to be hunted may prove to be more dangerous. When ya'all say hunting I'm imagining lining up a morel in the sights of a 30.06. I don't know maybe a pellet gun would be sufficient to bring a mushroom down. Anyhow, many of us would benefit from a stroll through the woods whilst sneaking up on fungi...
When someone brings up , I am always being reminded of a song from my youth

🍄 hunting
More of this. Less of this? I'm feeling like the channel may be run by someone eating mushrooms from a cow patty. I still kinda like it...
I gave up mushroom hunting. Florida isn't a great state for mushrooms unless you like the magic ones. That is problematic in itself. Magic musrooms in Florida grow on cow dung and are illegal to possess. You have to deal with the rancher, the bulls that inhabit the pasture and the police.
At risk of violating terms, we just legalized the possession of Magic mushrooms here in Colorado regardless of whether or not they are growing on poo. The state hasn't blown up yet after being 420 friendly, I doubt this will doom us either...

Top Bottom