What's new

My Dad's Birth Year Razor

I've been busily hunting my birth year razor (Apr '61) and was just about to pull the trigger on one when a thought came to me. A few years ago I had to say goodbye to my Dad, he had lost his fight with cancer. My Dad was my best friend... he was a man's man. Strong hands and a tender heart. When I had no one I could turn to I could turn to my Dad. Watching him grow weak and finally lose his battle with cancer was the hardest thing I have ever done. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him or wish I could call him. It does give me hope that we were both Christians and I believe I will see him again one day.... ANYWAY, I thought that if I'm going to invest a bit of money into this hobby I think I would rather have a nice Gillette from my Dad's birth year instead of mine. It would do my heart good to shave with a razor from the year he was born, kind of like we are together again... is that weird? I mean I know no material thing is going to be the same as us being together, but maybe in my mind it would bring some joy. Anyway, what do you guys think?

A great idea. I'm guessing from your own birth year you'd be looking for something from the early- to mid-thirties?

Thank you for sharing that story. I'm sorry that you lost your dad so young. Having a connection via a birth year razor is one of many good ways you can keep his memory alive.

Cheers

Yes sir... his birth year was 1934. So would that be limited to an Aristocrat?

I think That is a great Idea. I am 65 years old and I am very fortunate to still have my 92 year old Dad still here with me. I bought my Dad a razor from his birth year (1921) and when he passes I will have it to remind me of him. And, if I pass before him he can have my birth year razor. It seems like a no brainer because like you said: " It would do my heart good to shave with a razor from the year he was born, kind of like we are together again... is that weird?" Nope, that is not weird at all.

NEWs and Goodwills were produced that year as well but I don't know how toy would date them.
Sorry about your dad. Anything that keeps their memories alive is a good thing.

I think That is a great Idea. I am 65 years old and I am very fortunate to still have my 92 year old Dad still here with me. I bought my Dad a razor from his birth year (1921) and when he passes I will have it to remind me of him. And, if I pass before him he can have my birth year razor. It seems like a no brainer because like you said: " It would do my heart good to shave with a razor from the year he was born, kind of like we are together again... is that weird?" Nope, that is not weird at all.

That is really great. Yea, I'm pretty sure that I am going to do this soon. Having thought about it for a bit I know that I would really like to do it.

I hope you and your Dad get to enjoy many more wonderful years! :001_smile

I think its fantastic. I'm in a rough period in my relationship with my Dad, but it will get better. I have a 41' Aristo from his birth year already. I think a 34' Aristocrat for your dad would be fantastic. In addition, its arguably the best looking US razor ever made.

Thanks for sharing your story.

That's an awesome idea. And I'm sorry for your loss. My dad is still around, but has had some major health issues and I can relate to what you said about watching your dads health fail. For me watching the man that was the toughest guy I knew get weak and frail is hard. I got a razor.passed down to me that happened to be my dads birth year. And even though my dad is still around the fact that its his birth year it instantly was special to me. I saw that so I can say this. From my experience I would not hesitate to buy one in my dads birth year. Again I am sorry for your loss.

That is a beautiful razor. My father passed away last year. He had left us when we were kids. As adults I tried to reach out and forgave him but he had a lot of bitterness and he could never move on.
Your a lucky man to have a great dad and I hope you are filled with great memories eveytime you pickup that razor.

That's not weird at all to my mind. I have a Sheraton that debuted in my father's birth year of 1937. It is not a coincidence that it was one of the first razors I searched out when I started this DE journey. I am working on getting a razor from the birth years of my parents and grandparents. I only have one to go.....

Wow, you did it right! Beautiful razor.

Thanks! My Dad deserves a beautiful razor in his honor. :001_smile

And thank you to all of you gents who have commented about my relationship with my Dad. He was a truly wonderful man, but the thing is for a portion of our lives we did not get along or really care too much for one another. After I joined the Navy and he got saved, all of that changed and he became my best friend this side of Heaven. (Of course I think the same thing about my wife, but that's an entirely different relationship.) We got to enjoy a good 30 years together after that.

So if you guys are going through a rough patch with your fathers, or fathers with your sons, don't give up; just keep doing the right thing whether they acknowledge it or not and hopefully they will change and become very close to you as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your story :) Im sorry you had to lose your dad way to early :(

I got my dads birth year/quarter which is Y2 (1953).

I have one from my grandads birth year aswell which is '27 :) One from my other grandads which is '38 :)

Im lucky in which i still have 2 grandparents :)

The razor you got will last another lifetime, and im sure if he was here, he'd be fighting you for it! :D

Sorry for your loss. I too lost my dad to cancer a few months ago and have discovered a wealth of razors in his house many that he used...Bob

A beautiful thought and a lasting connection.
I too found my father's birth year razor (1913) a while back and saved it to use for first time on what would have been his 100th birthday this past August - trust me, it felt really special.
Enjoy your find and cherish the memories.

Top Bottom