What's new

My dad uses a Fusion for 6 months or more

He shaves everyday and he gets 6 months or more out of a single Gillete fusion blade. He switched around a year and a half ago from some disossible, and he is impressed with the fusion :thumbup:

I think he has some kind of jedi mind trick to keep the blade in good shape :blink:

I was amazed when my dad said he got a month out of his! He loves it and I don't see him changing anytime soon.

I looked at it today, the top strip was completely worn off.

The blades however were still very sharp.

I'm gonna do an experiment and see how long I can use a DE blade.

N

NoelyDeezNutz

When I used my mach 3, I would store it in alcohol or baby oil and the shaves were very good for 2-3 months (included shaving the sides of my head for my mohawk)

How do you know?:glare:
Brent.
Gillette makes their money on carts wearing out and people buying replacements. They would NEVER manufacture them to last that long, they would go out of business. If there are carts lasting for 6 months with daily use Gillette would have them pulled from the shelves. It's the same reason that batteries are sold in huge packs, they are made to run out so you have to buy more.

I have a Fusion sitting in my toothbrush cup that I haven't seriously used for a couple of years. However, every now and then I grab it for something--a quick shave, sideburn trim, eliminating a tuft of fur from my ear. That kind of thing. I never change the blade but it still shaves cleanly without tugging. Who knows?

Super thin hair, tough skin or high tolerence for irritation. Those are the only explainations.

I totally agree with the notion that Gillette won't sell products that last. That era is long gon.

Super thin hair, tough skin or high tolerence for irritation. Those are the only explainations.

I totally agree with the notion that Gillette won't sell products that last. That era is long gon.

Thick hair, tough skin. The tough skin helps I believe.

However I think I might be trowing away my double edge too soon. I toss it after about 5 shaves.

I should do an experiment to see how long I can shave with a singe DE blade although my skin is not nearly as resilient as his

I recently used a Fusion blade for a little over 3 months. I saw something on the Clark Howard show about drying the blade making them last longer so I started slinging it off quickly, then drying on a towel, a stropping movement against the towel. It still shaved good when we left on vacation. It got banged up in my travel kit and had to be replaced.

I do like the DE experience better, although I have some extra Fusion cartridges and keep it handy

All I can say about reports of extreme longevity for cartridges is that I can't duplicate those results. Clearly a lot of people believe that they will last for months, although it would be more useful to tally up the actual number of shaves they get with them.

My own record for anything at all is 15 shaves with a vintage Schick twin injector blade. I tried a Fusion briefly. It came with two cartridges; I got 5 shaves with one cartridge and 6 with the other. Maybe I was too quick to toss them, but 6 months, shaving even 4 times a week, let alone every day, hard to believe unless it's proven to me.

Last edited:
Gillette makes their money on carts wearing out and people buying replacements. They would NEVER manufacture them to last that long, they would go out of business. If there are carts lasting for 6 months with daily use Gillette would have them pulled from the shelves. It's the same reason that batteries are sold in huge packs, they are made to run out so you have to buy more.
I repeat, "how do you know"?
This guy says he has a method that extends the life of a blade.
You say he is lying about it.
What is your evidence?
Brent.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
He shaves everyday and he gets 6 months or more out of a single Gillete fusion blade. He switched around a year and a half ago from some disossible, and he is impressed with the fusion :thumbup:

I think he has some kind of jedi mind trick to keep the blade in good shape :blink:

I get 3 weeks tops- my beard isn't the fastest growing, but it is coarse. I really feel it in the neck area.

I repeat, "how do you know"?
This guy says he has a method that extends the life of a blade.
You say he is lying about it.
What is your evidence?
Brent.

Maybe he removes each individual blade from the cartridge form, hones and strops them and then replaces them back into the cartridge form.

BTW, sometimes a person will post some interesting things to stir up the masses and nothing more. It's like fishing and the bait is...

Maybe he removes each individual blade from the cartridge form, hones and strops them and then replaces them back into the cartridge form.

BTW, sometimes a person will post some interesting things to stir up the masses and nothing more. It's like fishing and the bait is...

Well, its true. The cartridge is worn out incredibly, so has the top strip but the blades are still sharp and it cuts his hair which is all he cares about.

Frankly I can't use a brand new fresh fusion, it hurts my neck.

Top Bottom