What's new

My Correspondence With Trumper

I find it pretty inconceivable that they aren't aware their product is currently crap. Does Trumper still make all of their products in house and in the UK? If not, my feeling is they are probably stuck in a contract with a manufacturer, or had a huge amount produced before they realized what was going on (less likely). Either way, it is pure speculation on my part.

Why was this thread moved to the "Shopping and Deals" section? This is a relevant topic to the Soap Forum and there have been countless posts about the completely abysmal performance of the new Trumper formulation.

This is a premium (expensive) soap that literally doesn't work. It doesn't lather.
The problem is you never know what puck you'll get. You can get one that works or you can get one that's unlatherable or that has incredibly weak lather. I think part of the problem is that the original soap contractor they used closed down and they had to go to someone else, who maybe "helpfully" suggested a formulation change (a re-arranging of the first 2 ingredients?).

But this problem is not unheard of. Just look at Caswell Massey. They recently reformulated their soap and it still sucks, but they have so many fans that think the soap is amazing. What I want to know is are Trumper really just listening to the customers that love the soap (and don't really know what a shaving soap should do), whether ANY of the employees at Trumper actually use the soap as opposed to the cream, and if the dud pucks are just being exported since Trumper claims to know nothing of what's going on. People who order directly from them seem to get pucks that work.

TOBS soaps work. Harris Soaps work. Trumper and Truefitt have issues they need to address.

Just shaved with my Trumpers Rose (2011 manufacture).

It is possible to achieve a shaving lather with this, but it is VERY water sensitive and you have to both load it and work it at least twice as long as other soaps. Even then, the lather barely meets the minimum requirements. It is thin. I shaved with a Gillette Guard and it protected reasonably well but I suspect it would've been razor burn city if I had used even a mild DE.

I think the only way to prove to Trumper that their soap sucks is either show them a head to head Youtube video, or someone needs to go into their shop with a puck that works and a puck that's bad. Show one of their barbers the difference. Have the barber him/herself try. Get the salespeople to watch, and if necessary, test their stock. Only then will they be unable to deny that the post-2010 soaps are just not good enough. And hopefully they know the difference between "lather" and "shaving lather."

My 2008 puck of Sandalwood is miles better than my 2011 Almond and Rose. There's no reason for that to be the case.

Hey Mods,

Why was this thread moved. It doesn't belong here. It belongs back where it was.

I find it pretty inconceivable that they aren't aware their product is currently crap. Does Trumper still make all of their products in house and in the UK? If not, my feeling is they are probably stuck in a contract with a manufacturer, or had a huge amount produced before they realized what was going on (less likely). Either way, it is pure speculation on my part.

Why was this thread moved to the "Shopping and Deals" section? This is a relevant topic to the Soap Forum and there have been countless posts about the completely abysmal performance of the new Trumper formulation.

This is a premium (expensive) soap that literally doesn't work. It doesn't lather.

Hi Craig and Welcome to B&B. Thanks for taking the time to let them know. It's a shame that something you like isn't working and then to receive such a blah response from the company.Not my idea of basic good customer service.

Hi Craig and Welcome to B&B. Thanks for taking the time to let them know. It's a shame that something you like isn't working and then to receive such a blah response from the company.Not my idea of basic good customer service.

Hey Mods,

Why was this thread moved. It doesn't belong here. It belongs back where it was.

I was wondering why it was moved myself. Maybe the General Shaving section would be the best place.

Thank you for the welcome!

Sorry to hear that Chuckaluck. Trumper's current soaps are among the worst available. Their creams are still quite good, but their soaps should be avoided at all costs.

I have been using their shaving creams for about 6 months and love them they lather great (Coconut & Limes). Thats terrible their soaps are not the same quality....

I recently bought a Trumpers Violet soap and a Rose Cream in tube and while the cream is very good I have had some problems making lather with the soap. I am fairly now to DE shaving, but I am able to make decent lather with other soaps. Lather made from the Trumpers soap is indeed very sensitive to the amount of water and the lather is very thin.

I tossed my GFT Almond puck in the garbage yesterday. Not only was the lather anemic, but I couldn't tolerate the smell. This is the first I've heard of this issue or I would have taken a pass on this brand.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Why do you folks keep fiddling with Trumper? Just get Harris.

I disagree that Harris is finicky, quite the opposite. The issue you may be having is not loading enough, it's a common problem around here. I used it this morning and got a fantastic shave!

Use a boar, shake out most, but not all of the water, and build the lather right on the puck, not on your face. Loading should take 60 seconds (or more), use your cell phone timer, most folks don't judge time well. It's easy-peasy.

Not loading enough soap of any kind can make you think something is finicky, for sure.

Top Bottom