What's new

My completed rotation

I think I have completed my rotation of razors.

As many of you might know I have assembled a system razor during the last few years. I think the Ilmarinen is everything I could ask from a razor system, I truly do. It is a Weber Bulldog handle, Feather AS-D1 head and all of the Ikon baseplates replated in black chrome by our very own onotoman ( Dave at www.restoredrazors.com). My plan was to shave with this razor for the rest of my life. Then two things happened.

A short while ago I was able to make a trade here on B&B. A member wanted to trade his razor for one of my brushes. The British Gillette #16 was the razor I had been offered as a gift 7 years ago, even though that one was not in this nice shape. Only an equally arrogant and ignorant noob would have thought that his only German made razor was enough to shave with! I knew in my heart that that beat up #16 was a better shaver than my Merkur, but I fell for the car analogy (Mercedes vs Austin) when I respectfully turned down the free offer. To my defence ( I know there's none!) I must say that B&B was not on my radar at that time...

The second thing that happened was that my grandfathers old Aristocrat '34 was found by my brother. Our old neighbours in Finland had found it in their garage where me and my brother had left it 45 years ago. My grandfather bought the razor in either San Francisco or Vancouver just before the second world war. It was in terrible shape ( no gold left) so it has been replated in rhodium by an unknown replater in Finland. It fits very well into my now completed rotation of three.

And now on to what you have been waiting for. The pics:

British #16, US Aristocrat '34 and the Ilmarinen in black chrome

Of course I have picked up some other things also that nicely rounds off my rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have completed my rotation of razors.

As many of you might know I have assembled a system razor during the last few years. I think the Ilmarinen is everything I could ask from a razor system, I truly do. It is a Weber Bulldog handle, Feather AS-D1 head and all of the Ikon baseplates replated in black chrome by our very own onotoman ( Dave at www.restoredrazors.com). My plan was to shave with this razor for the rest of my life. Then two things happened.

A short while ago I was able to make a trade here on B&B. A member wanted to trade his razor for one of my brushes. The British Gillette #16 was the razor I had been offered as a gift 7 years ago, even though that one was not in this nice shape. Only an equally arrogant and ignorant noob would have thought that his only German made razor was enough to shave with! I knew in my heart that that beat up #16 was a better shaver than my Merkur, but I fell for the car analogy (Mercedes vs Austin) when I respectfully turned down the free offer. To my defence ( I know there's none!) I must say that B&B was not on my radar at that time...

The second thing that happened was that my grandfathers old Aristocrat '34 was found by my brother. Our old neighbours in Finland had found it in their garage where me and my brother had left it 45 years ago. My grandfather bought the razor in either San Francisco or Vancouver just before the second world war. It was in terrible shape ( no gold left) so it has been replated in rhodium by an unknown replater in Finland. It fits very well into my now completed rotation of three.

And now on to what you have been waiting for. The pics:

British #16, US Aristocrat '34 and the Ilmarinen in black chrome

Of course I have picked up some other things also that nicely rounds off my rotation.

Love the razor in the black chrome

Last edited by a moderator:
It's clearly milder than the '47 Aristocrat ( as all Aristocrats are) and almost on par with the Sheraton, which succeeded it.

Did you say the #16 is "milder" than the '47? I do not have a #16 (or any of the other awesome razors in your rotation), but I have a '47 Aristocrat and a Sheraton. In my experience, the Sheraton is significantly more aggressive than the '47 (which I find to be a bit too mild for my tastes).

Did you say the #16 is "milder" than the '47? I do not have a #16 (or any of the other awesome razors in your rotation), but I have a '47 Aristocrat and a Sheraton. In my experience, the Sheraton is significantly more aggressive than the '47 (which I find to be a bit too mild for my tastes).
If memory serves my '47 is noticeably more aggressive than my Sheraton. The later '48-52 Aristocrat is more laid back in that respect. I have not shaved in a while with my Sheraton, its been away from home for over a year. I was earlier contemplating to replate it since I ruined the plating on the doors. I have PIFed my '48 Aristocrat so I have nothing at home to compare to.

As a side note I must add that these older razors are somewhat prone to bent safety bars and such damage so there is really no way to draw general conclusions from one sample of a particular model. For example my M4 Slim is milder than my Q1 Black Beauty on lower settings; this I know for sure since I myself has worked on the bent safety bar on one side of it.

If memory serves my '47 is noticeably more aggressive than my Sheraton. The later '48-52 Aristocrat is more laid back in that respect. I have not shaved in a while with my Sheraton, its been away from home for over a year. I was earlier contemplating to replate it since I ruined the plating on the doors. I have PIFed my '48 Aristocrat so I have nothing at home to compare to.

As a side note I must add that these older razors are somewhat prone to bent safety bars and such damage so there is really no way to draw general conclusions from one sample of a particular model. For example my M4 Slim is milder than my Q1 Black Beauty on lower settings; this I know for sure since I myself has worked on the bent safety bar on one side of it.

Please excuse my ignorance. I was unaware there was a difference between the '47 and the later years. I have owned/used two US-made gold Aristocrats from the late 40's. FWIW, they were somewhat mild compared to my Sheraton.

My hats off to you on an excellent trio. The fact you have a family heirloom is cool. I have a real soft spot for the 34 Aristocrat don't know why as I rarely look twice at open combs but I love restoring this model. Maybe it has something to do with the razors history and being the first oc tto that deserves couple centuries of life. They are beauties.
Congrats.

Top Bottom