What's new

My complete review of the TOBS lineup

I've got a tub of St. James nd like it a lot. Unfortunately my source in Las Vegas dried up & I ain't gonna spend big on shipping from faraway sources. The new tobacco is high on my list for someday when available.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have St. James...it's smells like naval oranges...mild, but...that's what it smells like. Is it possible they put the wrong product in the St. James tub?

I have St. James...it's smells like naval oranges...mild, but...that's what it smells like. Is it possible they put the wrong product in the St. James tub?
No it was definitely the correct product, it didn't smell like any of the other offerings and the remaining TOBS creams don't have this kind of scent. It is somewhat citrusy, but to my nose...it just smelt like shave gel.

My wife bought me the sample pack for Christmas way back in December and I am still working my way through them. I haven't finished off any of the little packs yet but it looks like I might be able to get 5 or 6 shaves out of each one.

Because they are in rotation with my other soaps/creams, I don't get around to using them all that regular but have done enough testing to find out what I like and don't like.

I have noticed that some of the creams have gone hard and I have to dig it out with a teaspoon and bloom it before I can get them to lather. Consequently, I tend to use them with my DE instead of the straight, especially after I had issues getting one of them to lather. I have it worked out now but still stick with the DE. I have a couple of full size tubs of TOOBS creams and they seem OK.

Don't like the grapefruit, or the lemon & lime - I don't like citrus at all, in any shape or form. Didn't like the peppermint either - it sort of felt fizzy on the skin but the aroma was too much.

Loved the older traditional ones, Jermyn St, Eton etc etc. But then I love this style no matter what the brand.

Surprisingly, the Rose was really nice and I liked it. Same with the coconut - my Thayers WH is also coconut so it went well with that.

If I was going out to buy a full size tub of cream based on the samples? The Jermyn St or Eton or St James Collection and maybe the rose. Definitely the sandlewood, but then I already have a tub of the soap that seems to last forever.

cheers
Andrew

My wife bought me the sample pack for Christmas way back in December and I am still working my way through them. I haven't finished off any of the little packs yet but it looks like I might be able to get 5 or 6 shaves out of each one.

Because they are in rotation with my other soaps/creams, I don't get around to using them all that regular but have done enough testing to find out what I like and don't like.

I have noticed that some of the creams have gone hard and I have to dig it out with a teaspoon and bloom it before I can get them to lather. Consequently, I tend to use them with my DE instead of the straight, especially after I had issues getting one of them to lather. I have it worked out now but still stick with the DE. I have a couple of full size tubs of TOOBS creams and they seem OK.

Don't like the grapefruit, or the lemon & lime - I don't like citrus at all, in any shape or form. Didn't like the peppermint either - it sort of felt fizzy on the skin but the aroma was too much.

Loved the older traditional ones, Jermyn St, Eton etc etc. But then I love this style no matter what the brand.

Surprisingly, the Rose was really nice and I liked it. Same with the coconut - my Thayers WH is also coconut so it went well with that.

If I was going out to buy a full size tub of cream based on the samples? The Jermyn St or Eton or St James Collection and maybe the rose. Definitely the sandlewood, but then I already have a tub of the soap that seems to last forever.

cheers
Andrew
Mine were still very much 'creamy' in consistency and could just be scooped out with my finger. It takes a while to get through the bunch as each little tub honestly can stretch to a full 7 days of shaving if you don't mind slightly thinner lather. I found some of the traditional scents to be worse than the stand alone ones. TOBS writes their descriptions like a sommelier writes wine reviews...and imo the simpler and cheaper products (much like most wines) are better. They seem to rely on people not reading the ingredient lists...some betray the similarities between a lot of the creams. I'd buy a tub but then I'd never finish it...I'll stick to sample packs across every brand for now! Have fun haha!

I also want to add that I'm starting to use the D R Harris lineup now. So I'll be able to compare TOBS with Harris and give some good info and reviews on that. There are less scents in the Harris line up so I'll be able to get through them quicker. I'll still need a couple of months though haha. I've changed to shaving every second day

I love the categories you defined, even if I disagree with some of your comments. Well done!

For scent, I love the Sandalwood and Royal Forest. I like or am neutral on the Eton College and Lavender. As you said, they all pretty much perform the same, which is very good. I'll probably trim down from the 9 creams I have in rotation when some of them are empty and only replace the Sandalwood and Royal Forest from the TOBS line.

Wow, I appreciate the effort here. I only have the Lavender. But I have to say....my experience and description is completely different. I detect nothing musky or spicy or dark about it at all. Nothing complex. Just plain Lavender. Very pleasant, just wish it were a lot stronger. Performance is A+ of course.

I'm enjoying their new tobacco leaf and look forward to trying their lime zest in the summer. @sarimento1 you say its tangier, less sweet lime, does it have that sharp citrus element to it or is it more like the pine sol that Castle Forbes lime smells like?
Interesting about the lime and pine sol reference. I have a post talking about how my Captain's Choice Lime smelled like pine sol. But no one else agreed. The Captain himself sent some samples and the lime was the same to me. I think some people have that scent reaction to lime essential oil, but not everyone. Funny because I love limes in every way.

I've only got the tobs sandalwood. It doesn't smell of sandalwood but it does offer a great easy to lather choice that is surprisingly hard to get wrong. I've got pure sandalwood oil I used as beard oil so was a little shocked that the cream smelt more like old lady powder and nappy bags to me. Sadly it stings my skin before the blade has even crossed my face so I'm glad there are plenty of options for the future and the jermyn street is the one I will buy next.

The problem with those YouTube shaving guys is they either seem to like everything they try or have leather faces that can take the harshest blades and soaps without an issue. So although fun to get an idea of the product we don't imo get the full story. That's why these forums are better, especially if you've got nothing important to do but scroll through threads! ;)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I join with the rest in saying "Thank you for excellent reviews." I found that your likes and dislikes generally aligned with scents I generally like and scents I generally dislike. The odd one out to me is lavender. I love a good lavender, but I find it a scent more often botched than done well.

Wow, I appreciate the effort here. I only have the Lavender. But I have to say....my experience and description is completely different. I detect nothing musky or spicy or dark about it at all. Nothing complex. Just plain Lavender. Very pleasant, just wish it were a lot stronger. Performance is A+ of course.
I guess my nose picks up different things and the lavender I am used to smelling (we have a giant behemoth of a lavender bush) is just different. Either way, I can only describe and review based off of my experience. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy it! I found the scent to be quite strong across the board...definitely stronger than DRH and Proraso products. Stronger than Arko after a week of use too.

I've only got the tobs sandalwood. It doesn't smell of sandalwood but it does offer a great easy to lather choice that is surprisingly hard to get wrong. I've got pure sandalwood oil I used as beard oil so was a little shocked that the cream smelt more like old lady powder and nappy bags to me. Sadly it stings my skin before the blade has even crossed my face so I'm glad there are plenty of options for the future and the jermyn street is the one I will buy next.

The problem with those YouTube shaving guys is they either seem to like everything they try or have leather faces that can take the harshest blades and soaps without an issue. So although fun to get an idea of the product we don't imo get the full story. That's why these forums are better, especially if you've got nothing important to do but scroll through threads! ;)
I agree. I'm not a fan of wood scents anyway as I find them each to be generally 'muddy' and 'clogged' as opposed to a crisp and fresh scent that I like. That being said, the sandalwood isn't really a sandalwood scent. I didn't really hate it but TOBS has soo many other creams that if you don't like something, there is no reason to use it...just use something else. Proraso on the otherhand...apparently the red has significantly better performance from what I've read...which means you should be using it if you want the best proraso product. I don't know if I will though.

Last edited:
I join with the rest in saying "Thank you for excellent reviews." I found that your likes and dislikes generally aligned with scents I generally like and scents I generally dislike. The odd one out to me is lavender. I love a good lavender, but I find it a scent more often botched than done well.
No worries! A lot of people seem to agree with you in loving the lavender whilst I seem to not be too keen on it. At this point I've used TOBS and DRH (which are mostly identical but a little different in scent strength and top notes) and its still not something I like. I guess I just don't like lavender scented products? Botched or otherwise haha

Excellent rundown. You’ve justified my choice of Jermyn Street. I really think it is a bit slicker than the rest and I know I like the smell better. I normally use MWF, but when I’m in a rush, I fall back on Jermyn Street. I have a sampler pack, but I’m sorry to say they dried out before I could try them all.
Been a while but my DRH samplers were a little dry...I just put in some water, maybe like 1/2 a teaspoon worth, closed the lid and shook it up a bit and then left it over night. Back to the correct consistency and no change in scent or performance from when it was dry.

I love the categories you defined, even if I disagree with some of your comments. Well done!

For scent, I love the Sandalwood and Royal Forest. I like or am neutral on the Eton College and Lavender. As you said, they all pretty much perform the same, which is very good. I'll probably trim down from the 9 creams I have in rotation when some of them are empty and only replace the Sandalwood and Royal Forest from the TOBS line.
What does royal forest actually smell like to you. I have no idea what creed aventus smells like and I can't find a descriptor for it anywhere? Does it share any similarities to any other TOBS cream or a mix?

To the OP ----- A terrific review. Thanks for the effort.
But, a perfect example of "YMMV."
For me and my face, the TOBS Lavender, Eton College, and Avocado are all magnificent !

Top Bottom