What's new

My Colonel Conk shaving bowl is leaving stains on my bench

It looks like the varnish is coming off and the wood is leaving stains. The stains are easily wiped off.

I’ve cleaned and dried the bowl as it’s due for a soap replacement. I’m thinking I should apply a coat of varnish to the outside of the bowl. Will that help?

Failing that, I might toss the bowl and just leave the Colonel Conk soap in the plastic container. I’ve noticed this bowl is no longer being sold on the websites I’ve looked at. I suppose I could look for a substitute bowl, the size of Colonel Conk shaving soap I have is 66.5ml or 2.25oz.

I would let it dry, lightly sand the outside, and spray it with a few coats of polyurethane satin finish from a rattle can.

Pretty simple fix, rather than tossing the bowl.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Any chance of some photos of the bowl? Interested to have a look at the problem bowl.

62F26004-3BF2-4E8C-A57F-3875529E9664.jpeg

Yup. Depending on how intensive you want to go sanding staining and refinishing are in order. I'd do varnish or laquer over poly since it will be in a wet environment.

Yup. Depending on how intensive you want to go sanding staining and refinishing are in order. I'd do varnish or laquer over poly since it will be in a wet environment.
Thanks. I’ll compare the cost of buying that stuff to the cost of just buying a new bowl.

It will be 1 million percent quicker easier and cheaper if you just buy a new one. If you refinish it you get that pride in saying, I did that, every time you look at it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Just get some candle wax (bees wax preferred), rub it well into the raised ring on the base and polish. Cheap and easy. That should last many months or a year or more.

Buy a new one then seal it before you use it. I use a water based polyurethane on my wooden shave brush handles that holds up well to water.

This is why I avoid wooden bowls for shaving soaps. The wooden bowls look great but ceramic, glass, some metals and plastic are better to the conditions.

Top Bottom