What's new

My cold water lather building/shave routine

Soak brush in ice water while showering.
proxy.php

Squeeze excessive water from brush , poor water and ice cubes into a mug or another bowl for face rinsing. Swirl brush 10 times in VDH soap, put two squirts of KMF in bowl, eyeball the amount of water you think looks right, my guess is about a tablespoon or so.
proxy.php

Build lather to the constancy that you like, I prefer my a little thicker than Greek Yogurt.
proxy.php

Dip razor in ice water before applying to face, Rinse razor in cold or ice water between strokes.
proxy.php

I tried it the other day and was shocked at how good the shave was.....I'm so use to my hot showers and even warm towels on the face pre shave that I was hesitant....but was shocked at how smooth and irritation free the shave was.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I discovered pretty early on in this game that water temperature has nothing to do with shave closeness at all, it's all about the hydration. After reading a lot about it here, I am convinced that is true, and it is not a YMMV thing at all. What is YMMV is what you prefer as far as comfort goes, a shaver may prefer really hot shave prep, really cold shave prep (like this) or tepid shave prep (me- I don't like hot, it is irritating, same with ice cubes). I've tried all three and I like tepid shave prep, nothing too shocking.

I think just because traditionally prep was done with hot water people began to think temperature was important to shave quality, but it is not. If you soaked your bear with a warm, wet towel or a cold wet towel at the barbers, you would get just as close and comfortable a shave, it's the water soak that matters, the temperature is simply irrelevant to the shave quality. I shower, then do a tepid/cool shave depending on the weather.

But, people have strong preferences for hot, warm or cold prep temperature, even though it makes no difference to the quality of the shave. These preferences are so strong, or the 'hot towel prep' procedure is so sacrosanct in peoples' minds, I think many people honestly believe temperature does have something to do with shave quality. Of course, there is no way to 'prove' this theory, but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :wink2:

Enjoy your shave, hot, tepid or cold!

Wow, That is sure a new method of shaving for me I must give it a go. That would be a good shave with some proraso preshave, and proraso cream with the splash for AS and some ice cubes to finish it off.

The primary reason for a hot water shave/ hot towels according to my old barber, who was also the head of the Department head at the local Barber school was that it 1) softened the beard 2) Opened up the pores to release oils and dirt 3) helped in exfoliating the skin ...so I can see why hot water shaves have been recommended for so long.....I would at least agree with the opening up the pores, and releasing dirt and oil....but I don't know if hot water truly makes ones beard "softer".

I'm going to rotate this method for a while ans see what type of results I get....your lather looks pretty good bro....nice and cream and thick

The primary reason for a hot water shave/ hot towels according to my old barber, who was also the head of the Department head at the local Barber school was that it 1) softened the beard 2) Opened up the pores to release oils and dirt 3) helped in exfoliating the skin ...so I can see why hot water shaves have been recommended for so long.....I would at least agree with the opening up the pores, and releasing dirt and oil....but I don't know if hot water truly makes ones beard "softer".

I'm going to rotate this method for a while ans see what type of results I get....your lather looks pretty good bro....nice and cream and thick

I am pretty sure it has been proven that there is no such thing as pores opening and closing but there are still reasons to use hot water or cold water!
Warm water will certainly help to get grease out of pores and clean them but you also strip your skin of oils so you dry out easier. My guess would also be that you bleed more when you cut yourself if you use hot water since there's more blood moving about then with the veins expanding from the heat.
Cold water I think tightens things up a bit more and tighten the veins making the blood pump with a higher pressure so you feel more energized from that. It's the same as when you take a bath in the ice water in a lake during winter!

I think that both options are good and that you should just do what you feel like. Personally I vary depending on season but tepid water is a good middle ground!

Other than replacing the cream with shaving cream, this process looks more like you're preparing to make ice cream rather than shave!! I'm keeping my traditional shaves traditional (and comfortable) and will continue to use the hottest water I can out of my tap! I will, however, rinse with cold. I fully believe that hot water to soften beards is common sense-------have you ever tried to make pasta with COLD water?? How long did it take before the pasta softened up? I use hot water for shaving for the same reason, but to each his own.

I discovered pretty early on in this game that water temperature has nothing to do with shave closeness at all, it's all about the hydration. After reading a lot about it here, I am convinced that is true, and it is not a YMMV thing at all. What is YMMV is what you prefer as far as comfort goes, a shaver may prefer really hot shave prep, really cold shave prep (like this) or tepid shave prep (me- I don't like hot, it is irritating, same with ice cubes). I've tried all three and I like tepid shave prep, nothing too shocking.

I think just because traditionally prep was done with hot water people began to think temperature was important to shave quality, but it is not. If you soaked your bear with a warm, wet towel or a cold wet towel at the barbers, you would get just as close and comfortable a shave, it's the water soak that matters, the temperature is simply irrelevant to the shave quality. I shower, then do a tepid/cool shave depending on the weather.

But, people have strong preferences for hot, warm or cold prep temperature, even though it makes no difference to the quality of the shave. These preferences are so strong, or the 'hot towel prep' procedure is so sacrosanct in peoples' minds, I think many people honestly believe temperature does have something to do with shave quality. Of course, there is no way to 'prove' this theory, but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :wink2:

My bear prefers warm water shaves as well!! If the barber uses cold water or towels, he gets quite feisty, growling, bluff charging other customers, etc. Please, for your own safety, only use warm or hot water when shaving bears!!

Last edited:

Very good point John, you have nailed it right on!

Soak brush in ice water while showering.
proxy.php

Squeeze excessive water from brush , poor water and ice cubes into a mug or another bowl for face rinsing. Swirl brush 10 times in VDH soap, put two squirts of KMF in bowl, eyeball the amount of water you think looks right, my guess is about a tablespoon or so.
proxy.php

Build lather to the constancy that you like, I prefer my a little thicker than Greek Yogurt.
proxy.php

Dip razor in ice water before applying to face, Rinse razor in cold or ice water between strokes.
proxy.php
I'll just stick to cold tap water.

Very good point John, you have nailed it right on!
John, I have discussed hair physiology ad nauseum on previous threads as an avid cold water shaver, but always shave with tap water. I have advised against extreme temperatures, hot or cold. Hydration is the key to a good prep. Geofatboy and Mantec are not right about everything. Excellent post. I share your theory.

Gus

And so the great debate continues. From my perspective it matters not whether I shave with warm, hot, cold, or cool water. In the summer months I prefer cold water because it is so hot down here in Florida. However, if I am bowl lathering, I use warm lather even though I use cold water to wash my face and in between passes.

Here in St. Petersburg from late May on to the fall, the water that comes out of the cold water tap is at best tepid and usually lukewarm. Hence, I add some ice cubes to the water to cool it off.

Temperature is a preference thing I think. Undoubtedly though, the warmer water will cause more blood to be near the surface and thus increase the possibility of weepers. I don't believe that hot water helps to cleanse oil much since oil and water don't mix. Look into the oil cleansing method for more info here. What is solid is that a well hydrated hair is cut more cleanly than a dry hair. So use the temperature you like, unless you get a lot of weepers then try cooler temps, and just get your stubble hydrated to enjoy a great and close shave with quality kit.

It would make sense to me that oils being washed from my pores would have already taken place in the shower before a shave. From what I have read so far, shave soap is not as cleansing as it is a slick shave surface.
I started wet shaving this winter in Wisconsin, and the Hot Sandalwood lather has been great. I think it's the only reason my face lived through this Winter.
I came up from Georgia, and that cold water shave would have been awesome in the summer. If the summer temp breaks 80 this year up here in Sheboygan, I will have to give this a try.
Thanks for the post with the pics!

And so the great debate continues. From my perspective it matters not whether I shave with warm, hot, cold, or cool water. In the summer months I prefer cold water because it is so hot down here in Florida. However, if I am bowl lathering, I use warm lather even though I use cold water to wash my face and in between passes.

Here in St. Petersburg from late May on to the fall, the water that comes out of the cold water tap is at best tepid and usually lukewarm. Hence, I add some ice cubes to the water to cool it off.

As a lifelong Floridian, I can attest that summer time down here and cold (or cool) water shaving go hand in hand!

I'm a complete noob at all this, but this is exactly why I assumed that hot water was better:

...I fully believe that hot water to soften beards is common sense-------have you ever tried to make pasta with COLD water?? How long did it take before the pasta softened up?

I will, however, try a cold water shave when it's warmer outside. I always rinse with cold water anyway so may not make a huge difference.

I'm a complete noob at all this, but this is exactly why I assumed that hot water was better:

I will, however, try a cold water shave when it's warmer outside. I always rinse with cold water anyway so may not make a huge difference.

What do you think is better? Trying to cut a limp hair that folds over with the slightest bit of pressure from the blade leading to a longitudinal cut and tugging/pulling? Or a stiffer hair that will remain erect allowing a clean transverse cut with no tugging/pulling. There's also the issue about hot water causing more blood flow to the surface creating swelling which makes it easier to get weepers as well as giving a less close shave. The hot water approach has only won out due to it's comfort. Most old school barber books say that a cold water shave is better but that the customer will want a warm lather shave for the luxury. So either give them what they want or go out of business. Since I do it myself I'm all for results and comfort. Give it a try with an open mind. If you're not wanting to enjoy it then you won't. It's your face so it's up to you to find the balance between results and enjoyable that you can live with.

Top Bottom