What's new

My Citrus Obsession

About Black Ship Grooming Captain Scurvy shave soap...not as lime-heavy as I thought. A good mix of vanilla, sandalwood and lime. If you're looking to get clubbed over the head with citrus, this isn't it. Nice...but not heavy citrus. I would recommend their Black Beard product though. The lime really comes out in that aftershave.

Thanks for reporting back. Seems to me Lime is one of the more difficult scents to produce. It's naturally fleeting in longevity like many citrus forward scents. But it's easy to over do, or mess up entirely. It's a delicate scent to get right in my opinion.

Thanks for reporting back. Seems to me Lime is one of the more difficult scents to produce. It's naturally fleeting in longevity like many citrus forward scents. But it's easy to over do, or mess up entirely. It's a delicate scent to get right in my opinion.
That is precisely my opinion based on my very limited exposure to Lime scents.

I should probably elaborate on my comment as I don't want it to seem like I'm dogging Black Ship's products. I've never tried them, but I'm going to try the ones you mentioned. There are some great Lime offerings out there, and there are some that just don't do it for me is all.

I’ve only sniffed it, and not actually used it, but Maol Grooming Tangerine smells just like, well, tangerine. I’ve got almost all of Maol’s aftershaves, and they all have a tremendous face feel. The scents often have a shaving soap partner, produced by Talbot Shaving, which is also a great product.

I’ve only sniffed it, and not actually used it, but Maol Grooming Tangerine smells just like, well, tangerine. I’ve got almost all of Maol’s aftershaves, and they all have a tremendous face feel. The scents often have a shaving soap partner, produced by Talbot Shaving, which is also a great product.
Cool! I love the smell of tangerines.

I should probably elaborate on my comment as I don't want it to seem like I'm dogging Black Ship's products. I've never tried them, but I'm going to try the ones you mentioned. There are some great Lime offerings out there, and there are some that just don't do it for me is all.
Having now tried all three Sterling aftershaves I'll concur again with you that the lime scent is tough to nail. Both the Margarita's in the Artic and the straight Lime were a little underwhelming. Both have great face feel but the scents are a little artificial. The Piacenza is the best of the three. It's not trying to be a straight lemon though, so that's in it's favor.

Having now tried all three Sterling aftershaves I'll concur again with you that the lime scent is tough to nail. Both the Margarita's in the Artic and the straight Lime were a little underwhelming. Both have great face feel but the scents are a little artificial. The Piacenza is the best of the three. It's not trying to be a straight lemon though, so that's in it's favor.

Maol Tangerine was mentioned earlier, but they also have a lime AS called Frankenlime, which in my opinion does nail the lime scent. Unfortunately, it appears Maol has discontinued this product, as well as their other initial/flagship scents.

IMG_8896.jpg

Maol Tangerine was mentioned earlier, but they also have a lime AS called Frankenlime, which in my opinion does nail the lime scent. Unfortunately, it appears Maol has discontinued this product, as well as their other initial/flagship scents.

View attachment 1102620

I believe one can still purchase the four original Maol scents at Top of the Chain.

I believe one can still purchase the four original Maol scents at Top of the Chain.

I was there yesterday. They do still have Marlogue Wood Frosted, and Wildflowers Frosted, and I think got the last Frankenlime, and Helieopteris. I was too late for Tangerine :c17:

I was there yesterday. They do still have Marlogue Wood Frosted, and Wildflowers Frosted, and I think got the last Frankenlime, and Helieopteris. I was too late for Tangerine :c17:

Wow. Tangerine has only been out for a month or so.

The best of them all, for pure lime, in my opinion, is Mystic Water Lime. She says that the May Chang that she includes in the mix "anchors" the lime scent, which makes it last longer.

I went through a puck of this stuff, and it had a pure, amazing lime scent from the first use all the way through to the last shave. Highly recommended.

Great lime shave today. Got some Dr Jon’s Lime thanks to @MrSpeedy and @kingfisher. Haha but now that I’ve gone back and read their comments they both recommended Hydra by Dr Jon’s. Whoops 🤪
Let me report that the Lime scent for Dr Jon’s AS is the best I’ve come across so far. Really smells like fresh lime juice. ❤️

Fantastic shave!!
08AD74FB-D944-483B-850F-70042D3415BB.jpeg

Frankinlime is a great product and I have no idea why Maol Grooming is discontinuing it. Truly a mistake.

I just got a bottle of Maol Tangerine from West Coast Shaving about a month ago and it really lives up to its name.

View attachment 1102620

It looks like a good summer! I'm gonna dig into my citrus stash once I finish up my current soap and stash. I've got Stirling grapefruit soap, citrus musk splash, and TdH on deck.

Wholly Kaw Lav Sublime is in my list of top scents.

Other top citric/citrus scented soaps which are in my collection include Grooming Dept Citric, Grooming Dept Frankinlime, Grooming Dept Barbershop, Sudsy Soapery Uplift, Stirling Iced Pineapple, THB Tangerine Creeper, Zingari Man The Magician (orange blossom), B&M Seville, Razorock The Dead Sea, Mike's Lime, Ethos Pineapple Noir (Succes), Lisa's Doc Holiday (tangerine), Grooming Dept Encens Agrumes, B&M Nordost and Declaration Grooming Trismegistus.

Ethos has just introduced a Lime collaboration with CBL that I do no have.

Last edited:
A second for Black Ship Thomas Tew. Like cutting into a fresh orange. Aftershave has slight menthol cooling.

What is Stirling Piacenza's scent like?

Frankinlime is a great product and I have no idea why Maol Grooming is discontinuing it. Truly a mistake.

I just got a bottle of Maol Tangerine from West Coast Shaving about a month ago and it really lives up to its name.
Yes, Frankenlime will be missed. I just hope he does another run of Tangerine, it seems to be sold out everywhere I've looked.

A second for Black Ship Thomas Tew. Like cutting into a fresh orange. Aftershave has slight menthol cooling.

What is Stirling Piacenza's scent like?
Piacenza is their take on Aqua de Parma. Lots of lemon but more complex. Similar to RazoRock XXX.

Top Bottom