What's new

My chubby 1 from Lee

S

Sam

As many of you have read, I sold my CHubby 2 in best since I felt it was a scrubby-sort of brush. It was soft but at the same time, it scrubbed my face, and not caressed it like my Shavemacs did. I used it maybe 7, 8 shaves, something like that. It was a great handle size, and the 27mm knot did not feel very big, it certainly did not splay and other than the scrubby feeling, it was a great brush.

Well, I was dithering over whether to get a Duke 3 at the somewhat urging of Dr. Chris, as he was thrilled with his in relation to the Chubby line. Well, last week, Lee just up and posts all these brushes he has for sale and I inquire about a Chubby 1 since one post had a Duke 3 pictured with the CHubby 1 and the Chubby looked denser and more hair. Lee made me a very attractive price and as always, he ships promptly. I got it today and boy, it looked small. I have small hands, and the smallest brush I ever used before this was a PJ1 and then the next smallest was a Black Plisson size 12.

The CHubby 1 was just so soft. I know that some have said the Chubby line softens up, and had that Chubby 2 felt like this Chubby 1, Id have never sold it. I gotta get use to the small size, since I am used to a XXL Shavemac and SMF1, and the Shavemacs hold lather differently than the Chubby 1, but let me tell you, so far I am impressed.

I guess it really helps to talk to the seller about brushes as well as read here - after all, the seller gets to see them, handle them, gets feedback when they do or dont work out (by the way, tell Lee how you feel about a brush, as I did, so he can compile all of this for the guys to come) and I guess Lee has used each one. Anyway, this brush has exceeded my expectations. I used it at the sink tonight and I will use it in the shower tomorrow. Ill not give up on this brush quickly, but oh my, if only Chubby 2 had been as soft.

I will say this - I had a 23mm Shavemac and this Chubby is also a 23mm and I like the feel of the brush on my face of the Chubby better. The Shavemac in the smaller size splayed too much for me, unlike the larger Shavemacs I have. That is why I went in search of a brush on the 23 to 25mm side since I have 26 and 30mm already. Now the Shavemac had a better handle size, but for me, the bristle feel is primary and then I get the handle.

Sam

S

Sam

DJ, there were each in Best. At the other forum, there had been quite a bit of discussion how there was even more variation in bristles in the super line of hair in the Chubbies. Some was barbed, some not. Some prickly, some soft. It was a crapshoot. Chris Moss and I each got Chubby 2's in Best and each of us felt that the brushes were scrubby. No real way to tell until you actually wetted it up. Tonight, from the get go, I did not get that feeling. Now, the Chubby 2 has a 27mm knot and Chubby 1 is 23mm. Could it be that the large knot of Chubby 2 with the denseness that Chubbies have contributed to the scrubby feeling? Quite possibly. But that is ok. Ill be liking the Chubby 1 and even though it feels small in the hand, like I said, how it feels on the face is primary to me. Id not have a great look brush that I could not lather up with or feel comfortable with.

Lee told me that Dukes and Chubby (well the Duke 3 and Chubby 1) basically feel the same on the face. Since he gave me a good price on Chubby 1, I got that, but if I had a better deal on the Duke 3, Id have gone that way. The knot sizes appear to be the same, and as I recall from looking at measurements, DUke 3 is a 2mm higher loft, and the handle is like 5mm bigger, so really, not much difference.

sam

I'll mirror all the good things you said about Lee. I had decided upon a Chubby 2 in Best, based on what I want from a brush and after reading tons of info here. Well, when I called him to order, he was out of the Chubby 2. :frown: You guys must have cleared his stock. But, he gave me a simply dynamite deal on a Chubby 3 in Best. It should be here Friday or Saturday and I can't wait. I hope I'm as pleased with it as you are with your Chubby 1. I wanted a bigger, scrubbier brush. The only one I have is the C&E $35 brush and it's small for my tastes. It shall now be my travel brush with the Chubby 3 taking over primary duties.

Kudos to Lee for a great deal. :thumbup:

S

Sam

Scotto, you are right, but Lee can not do anything about that. For one second, when I shaved this morning, I was so tempted to try to find a Chubby 2 that is like my CHubby 1 and get rid of Chubby 1. But gosh, I might have to purchase 2 Chubby 2's and even then, it may be more of a scrubber. What I like about this Chubby 1 is that it is soft as the Shavemac, it does not splay like the Shavemac and it yet, it is dense. If my 23mm Shavemac was like that, I would not have minded. The Shavemac was a bit floppier and that bummed me out. Anyway, Lee did say that to him, the Dukes and Chubbys feel the same and are interchangeable, so I let his prices dictate which one I got. Well, this time, I SCORED.

thanks lee

Sam

Scotto said:
Simpsons variation in hair type brush-to-brush is extremely frustrating.
Some would call it the hallmark of a handmade product... I call it what it is, the complete absence of quality control in receiving. You must either be there to carefully examine the product or get lucky. In the case of buying these brushes, I guess I would rather be lucky than good..:blink:

S

Sam

Ron: I dont know how just looking at it and then rubbing it on the face, dry, would have done any better. I promise you that the sensation of Chubby 1 and Chubby 2 when new and delivered to me where the same. It is after you start using it that you notice how it is on the face. I dont know why one bloomed out and the other stayed intact, or if I should have used Chubby 2 a dozen more times, but they had different sensations. I told myself that if CHubby 1 did not work, Id not be inclined to even try another Simpsons.

Sam

Sam,
I really do beleive that if the brushes looked and felt the same, you missed out on your C2.. Perhaps the additional hair in the C2 bundle begged additional use to arrive at the right feel for you? Ergo, Lucky is much better than Good.

I like the appearance of the loft of my Chubby #3 in best even more than the look of the bristles of my CH3 in super; frankly speaking, the bristles of my CH3 and PL12 in best have a bright, almost "glossy" look; it's very resilient, yet soft feeling badger hair of the highest quality in best of all my best badger brushes. I still admire this Simpson best badger again and again....a class apart imo. Really very remarkable when compared to my other Simpsons in best badger.

Peter

PS: this is again a "proof" of the fact that the quality of the badger hair in the Simpsons brushes varies widely; i have several Chubbies and Polo's, several other supers and bests, but there's indeed a huge variation; consider fi the enormous difference between the barbed and straight super!

S

Sam

Well let me know if you run across a Chubby 2 in best that has super soft ends and is not a scrubber - that was what i was aiming at. Id prefer that size over the CHubby 1, but I prefer the bristle on the Chubby 1 I have. Im leery of buying a Chubby 2 to see if I can luck out and get the feeling of the Chubby 1.

Sam

Sam,

It seems to me that perhaps part of the problem with your Chubby 2 might have been so much hair packed so tight with a short loft.

Perhaps instead of looking for another Ch2 Best with especially soft hair, it might be easier to find what you want in another model of Best, with a similar size knot, but a little more loft? A Polo 10 has the same 27mm knot, but with about 4mm extra loft, according to Em. Or, the only other option in that size for Best would be a Harvard? (5 or 6, I imagine). Much more attractive handle than the (IMO) very ugly Polo, and likewise would probably have a little more loft than a Ch2.

Moses

S

Sam

Moses: I was directed to the Polos but the handle is not one I would choose. Besides the brush is more expensive and a Polo 10 was more than the Chubby 2. Ill get used to Chubby 1, no doubt. I am impressed with how it felt on the 1st two shaves then Chubby 2 did after say 5.

Sam

Well it sounds like you are happy, so perhaps the search can be called off.

I'm almost happy, but I think I know what I really want - A Ch2 Super knot in a Tulip style handle. Too bad they don't make it, and I couldn't really justify the money if they did. I do wonder, though - people talk about getting Bernd to rebristle a nice handle. I want somebody to rehandle a Ch2 bristle.

Are you sure you don't want to try that Harvard though - It is bigger that the Ch1. :wink:

S

Sam

Hey, Moses, sure, I am up for trying anything. I have been told that the Harvard 4 or 5 might be the perfect brush, but who knows. Chubby 1 handle-wise is on the small side, but hey, it had to be something. I mean, I have the XL Shavemac and the SMF1 as my large brushes, and then the black Badger Size 12 Plisson actually looks medium sized by comparison. So all in all, and the very good deal Lee gave me, I am satisfied. No sense in trying to find "the" perfect brush - I'll just enjoy the CHubby 1 for what it is, and maybe get some other brush down the road.

Sam

Top Bottom