What's new

my cholesterol is too high

Mine was a little high last time a the Dr's. But with exercise and diet is under control. I just cut out all the fast food and really junky stuff. Now I am much better and no cholesterol meds. Hope you get yours under control.

Rafael

stanmog said:
At last!!! A topic on which I can offer an authorative reply ( I'm a cardiologist).

About 85% of your cholesterol is manufactured in your body ( i.e. is genetic: pick your parents carefully); the other 15% is more diet-related. Thus, on average, diet will reduce cholesterol for most people about 15%, which ususally isn't enough. In order to make an informed decision about how best to treat your cholesterol you need to know: your blood pressure; your gender and age; if you are diabetic; your lipid profile (total, HDL, and LDL cholesterols, and triglycerides); and any other risk factors for coronary disease. With this information your doctor can calculate your exact risk of developing coronary disease over the next 10 years based on the Framingham study. Once you know your risk, you can make a decision about whether or not to take drug treatment. If you are diabetic, you should take a statin drug, regardless of all other factors.

Regards,
Stan

Yep, that is exactly what my cardiologist told me. I could diet and exercise until hell froze over and I would only lower my cholestrol about 15%. I take a vytorin every night before bed and I have also started taking a niaspan with it and my cholesterol is fine. I eat the normal junk food that all Americans eat and I'm a couch potato. A few pills a day and I don't have to diet and exercise.

Life is good.

Thanks Dr. Stan for confirming what my Doctor told me. Have you ever put in 6 stints at one setting? I bet not. I'm considered a record holder here in Charlotte, NC.

Just a thought, but aren't there health concerns relative to your heart condition that stem from lack of good diet and exercise, but are independant of cholesterol level?

One of, if not the most important risk factors for coronary disease is a sedentary life style. Active regular exercise will reduce your risk of coronary disease more than any other risk modification. Smoking is another very potent risk factor. So regular exercise and smoking cessation will greatly reduce your risk of coronary disease virtually without any associated risk ("side effects") or cost. Statin drugs were the among thefirst drugs ever shown to reduce all cause mortality, but they have associated costs and risks; however, for every one person who has a serious adverse reaction to a statin, 30 treated patients' lives are saved by such treatment. In terms of diet, there are only two diets to my knowledge that have ever been shown to extend life: a markedly reduced calorie diet (near starvation), and the mediterranean diet. Taking cholesterol-lowering medication may be important (especially for diabetics aand people with known coronary disease), but smoking cessation, diet to achieve ideal body weight, and exercise are safe, free lifestyle modifications that are at least as impoortant as drug treatment.
Regards,
Stan

At my last physical in Dec05, my cholesterol was 259 and my triglycerides were 270. My doc started in on what I needed to do in terms of exercise and diet, and I promptly interrupted him with "Doc, you must think I've got a lot to live for, to think I'd do any of that stuff". I explained to him that I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't gamble, I don't chase women, I don't go out to clubs, and I don't do any illicit drugs. Eating what I like and sitting in front of the TV are all I've got left in life. If you take those away, I'm liable to eat a pistol. I also really don't want to take any more medication. Between the blood pressure meds and the anti-depressants, I can barely afford to keep the NFL Sunday Ticket paid up.

Yeah, I know I'm 40 lbs overweight and yeah, I eat too much fried foods and ice cream and at 52 years old I should be taking better care of myself. But, if I drop dead tomorrow, I've had a good life and I won't be a bit mad about how things turned out. There's something to be said for enjoying life on your own terms, as long as you ain't hurting anyone else. So, I'll keep watching TV and eating Cheetos, and at least the years I have left will be happy ones.

Not recommended for anyone but me.

Larry C.... I'm with you brother. I'm 59 years young. I don't smoke, I drink about a 5th of Gin a week as in Martini's. I eat what I want. I do what I want. My 36 years of marriage have been great. My sex life is great. I don't have any financial problems. If I drop dead tomorrow I have no regrets. What scares me is not dropping dead. What scares me is having a stroke and being a vegetable for the rest of my life. I don't want to put my family through that. That is the only reason I know I better get me heath in order. I'm not afraid of death. I'm afraid of being paralyzed for the rest of my life.

That's something to think about.

Tony Espo

total ch = 236

trig = 238

hdl = 37
ldl = 152

tc/hdl ratio = 6.4

weight 190....should be around 165 to 175
blood pressure normal with one medication...

the doctor feels that if i drop some weight, and walk more than my cholestrol will come in check. I know how to eat sticks/twigs/beaks and asphalt....my father has had two bypass operations...i get the CH from my grandmothers side of the family, where they all have blood pressure problems and cholestoral collectors...

put this on top of hypo (er) glycemia, where i gotta eat every few hours, with a job that doesn;t allow me to, sometimes....well it's fun...

but you guys can compare yout numbers to mine adn tell me what you think...

mark tssb

Well, I'll chime in now.

Mine hasn't changed in about 8 years but I've increased my excercise and watch what I eat, lost about 30 pounds but put it back on as muscle weight (muscle weights more than fat) I went to the Dr. Tuesday and she said I need to start some medication now. I just picked up my perscription a few minutes ago for Crestor but opted for the generic.

total ch = 256
trig = 94
hdl = 44
ldl = 193

She said I should see a significant improvement within 6 weeks. We shall see.

edit - I had an extra 1 in front of my triglycerides it's 94 not 194.

Well Art, it might not have worked for the cholesterol, but dropping 30 of fat and putting it back as muscle can't be a bad thing.....

moses said:
Well Art, it might not have worked for the cholesterol, but dropping 30 of fat and putting it back as muscle can't be a bad thing.....

Hell no! I can finally get into some pants and shirts I previously thought were too small.

AACJ said:
She said I should see a significant improvement within 6 weeks. We shall see.

I've tried Crestor before and it worked great for me. My doc wanted me to try Lovastatin because it's been around for over 10 years and is pretty safe. Lovastatin worked great for me too.

Try having a glass of wine with dinner EVERY night.

There have been theories on why this practice is good for you and now there are more and more tests and case studies being performed to prove why. Check out this story below for some interesting thoughts and opinions.

I believe the longer I keep prescription drugs out of my system the better. (And Yes....I realize alcohol is a drug. Thank you very much).

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-alcohol31jul31,1,6062867.story

I agree with rikrdo, the longer you can keep drugs out of your system the better. All of them have sidefects and nothing is free. Here's a link http://medicine.ucsd.edu/ses/adverse_effects.htm

For those who take it, it might be good idea to supplement with CoQ10.

Also instead of only watching saturated fats in your diet you should also watch sugars. Just about all the food in USA is packed with it, watch for things like Corn Syrup.

Everything in moderation. Glass of wine, junk food, etc, in moderation will not hurt. That being said, some form of exercise, such as even walking, would help. Again, do it in moderation. For some the joy of vigorous exercise is great but for some, sitting in front of the TV is fun. Just consider that if you do that, you may be hurting yourself and the ones you love. Do I want to drop dead right now? No. Is heredity a larger component of what we deal with every day than is what we eat or how we exercise, yes I think so. That is just my opinion. There is not a lot you can do to prevent heredity. I have known people who are active, eat well and still develop diabetes or high cholesterol and need drugs for it. While I have seen others, morbidly obese and totally out of shape, eat like pigs with fast food as a staple and their numbers, BP, cholesterol and such are better than mine by far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So what does one do? I find exercise allows me to have more energy for the things I enjoy in life. As well, exercise will enable me to keep up, somewhat, with my kids. I enjoy watching TV and eating fast food, but I also enjoy exercise.

To each their own but please do not substitute drugs for common sense. If you can't walk up stairs due to fatigue, perhaps you should consider some more exercise. Parking at the end of the parking lot, not fighting for the closest spot is a form of exercise. Every little bit helps. If you can complete the daily tasks that you enjoy with the current shape you are in, then great. Ultimately happiness is what is the most important. The ideal body shape is the shape you are comfortable with, not what Dr. Phil says is the best shape.

All of this is my opinion, so take it for what it is worth, which is nothing :redface:

I do things I enjoy, such as eating, exercise and such. The only person I am concerned about impressing is my wife and to a degree myself. I try to control my weight because I have some really nice and broken in Levis that I want to continue to fit into.

Take care,

Darren

I found out something to do if your cholesterol medications (or any meds) are too expensive, could save 50% per month or more.

My meds call for 20mg tablets of Zocor, I asked my Dr. about it and she said she would prescribe me the 40mg tables and I should go buy a pill cutter. So I get a months supply of 40mg, cut them in half and end up with 2 months worth of 20mg pills.

The cost of 20mg vs 40mg tablets is literally PENNIES, 135.00 vs 135.50!! So right off the bat you are saving half of that per month (or only spending it every other month).

Now, if you do the same with mail order prescriptions thru your insurance company which typically send you a 90 days supply at an even greater discound, you can save even MORE money.

My Dr. said this was an industry practice an widley accepted, but unless you ask for it, they won't even bring it up.

I've had three heart attacks, a stent and a quadruple bypass three years ago. All this with a total cholesterol about 150. My problem is all genetic so I eat pretty much what I want, exercise, and take about a half dozen drugs. It seems to work as I am in better shape now than 25 years ago.

Top Bottom