What's new

My change of heart with Clubman

I have not been a fan of Clubman aftershave these past thirty years or so. I had my reasons, the scent was too powerful for my taste years ago, I couldn't deal with the powdery drydown and smelled "old mannish", and it dried my shaven skin out. Well, how things change. A couple months ago, while cleaning out a closet, I found a box with several aftershaves and assorted shaving items. One of the aftershaves was a GLASS bottle of Clubman, likely from the late 80's, and had maybe two or three doses missing, otherwise good as new. Soon after I applied this Clubman after a shave, and thought, "not bad". As the day wore on the scent gradually caught my fancy. I applied it a couple days later, and told myself I could really get to liking it. After a few more uses, I am hooked, and I love it! I have used perhaps a fourth of the bottle now, and when this bottle runs low, will get the jumbo club size and decant to my present glass bottle. Clubman makes this 60-something farm boy from Kansas feel like a debonair dandy. Thanks Mr. Pinaud!

I have not been a fan of Clubman aftershave these past thirty years or so. I had my reasons, the scent was too powerful for my taste years ago, I couldn't deal with the powdery drydown and smelled "old mannish", and it dried my shaven skin out. Well, how things change. A couple months ago, while cleaning out a closet, I found a box with several aftershaves and assorted shaving items. One of the aftershaves was a GLASS bottle of Clubman, likely from the late 80's, and had maybe two or three doses missing, otherwise good as new. Soon after I applied this Clubman after a shave, and thought, "not bad". As the day wore on the scent gradually caught my fancy. I applied it a couple days later, and told myself I could really get to liking it. After a few more uses, I am hooked, and I love it! I have used perhaps a fourth of the bottle now, and when this bottle runs low, will get the jumbo club size and decant to my present glass bottle. Clubman makes this 60-something farm boy from Kansas feel like a debonair dandy. Thanks Mr. Pinaud!

Sir, that old Clubman in the glass bottle is DANGEROUS!!

(Safest to send it to me for disposal!! :a29: :a29: )

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Great find! :001_wub: :001_tt1:

Splendid find, congratulations on re-discovering it. And I concur with the above comment about adding several drops of glycerin, it will help moisturize the skin & reduce the drying effect.

Hmm...I wonder if you'll enjoy the current Clubman as much as the vintage find you discovered? Has it changed over the years like Brut, AV, and Old Spice? So many guys are disappointed in those changes.

Has Clubman also changed much? I've only been using it less than a year and really like it, so I can't compare it to anything.

I just decanted these 3 Pinaud AS's into glass bottles. I need a sticker for the regular (middle).

IMG_0877.JPG

Saint Paul had a similar epiphany late in life. It worked out well for him too. If I were you, I would simply go to confession and then not worry about it any more.

where did you find the other two stickers?

I had the small bottles of the original plastic bottles so I was able to take the decal off them. My bottle of the original Clubman was the larger size and the decal is too large to use on the hot sauce glass bottles I purchased, which is why I couldn't use it. I've contacted Clubman to see if I could purchase a couple decals, but they have not yet responded.

After emptying the contents of the original bottles into the new bottles, I ran hot water through my Keurig coffee machine into a measuring cup with spout, then poured that into the empty plastic bottle to loosen the glue. After about 20-30 seconds, the decal peeled right off and I carefully applied to the glass bottles. The new bottles even have a restrictor that came with them. Search Amazon for glass hot sauce bottles. You can choose either white or black caps.

Very important to decant into glass.

OK, I'll bite. Why is it important?

I only use vintage aftershaves and they happen to come in glass bottles. However, the English Leather I'm using is in a 1980s 16oz bottle. With that size too big to handle easily after a shave, I've poured some into a 2oz Nalgene bottle with a good eyedropper top. When it's near empty, I top it off. I've not seen any issue with the scent from the liquid being in the plastic Nalgene bottle.

I only use vintage aftershaves and they happen to come in glass bottles. However, the English Leather I'm using is in a 1980s 16oz bottle. With that size too big to handle easily after a shave, I've poured some into a 2oz Nalgene bottle with a good eyedropper top. When it's near empty, I top it off. I've not seen any issue with the scent from the liquid being in the plastic Nalgene bottle.
I tried the decanting thing several years ago and couldn't tell a difference. It's a big deal to many however.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

No experience with EL, my comment was for the modern clubman line. There is a funk that is imparted to it from the plastic bottles that goes away after decanting into glass for a couple weeks.

Vintage EL is spectacular! Nalgene will probably be fine forever. Only clubman uses the cheapo plastic that stinks.

Top Bottom