My Brush Making Journey

Discussion in 'Brush Making and Restorations' started by Hyloworks, Mar 5, 2019.

Boars (2).jpg
    You might notice a similar theme of my brush handles. The center one is a little on the slim side for me.

1. Graydog

Graydog Contributor

I just started it on this brush handle made of Box Elder
    this wood soaked it up ,that is 3 coats so far . Box Elder.jpg Box Elder.jpg1.jpg

2. Awesome. Thanks.

3. Nice. I like the look of the box elder you have.

4. Box Elder is a very interesting looking wood!

5. Graydog

Graydog Contributor

I made one a few years ago kinda had that shape :)

[​IMG] 1-IMG_5934.JPG

6. Graydog

Graydog Contributor

7. I like it. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the walnut slab that is under that maple handle.

8. Graydog

Graydog Contributor

I am really loving this Walnut that @Lightcs1776 sent Me Chris walnut.jpg

9. Yeah that is nice. I have so much walnut scrap wood that isn't big enough to turn a handle without laminating it first.

10. Looks beautiful. It is always great to see what is inside the wood as it turns.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

11. Graydog

Graydog Contributor

That is a end grain orientation turning

Attached Files:

12. Love the color in the wood. You really brought out the red streaks.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

13. Awesome. I will have to give that a shot. I did think in looked slightly more porous than the walnut I have used. Now I know why.

14. Question answered before I could ask it.
    What CA finish are you guys using.
    Dose it go on better than others. I find I have to do several layers and quite a bit of sanding to get a good result with Stick Fast medium CA. I'd like to find something a little easier to work with.

15. Here are several of my brush handles. Every one turns out different for me. 20190126_100947_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20181009_122531.jpg IMG_20181009_123346.jpg 20190201_153758~2.jpg

16. Graydog

Graydog Contributor

I have always used the Stick Fast Thin and for me it works better than the medium , @Hyloworks told me about a
    Stick Fast 240 CA Wood Finish, 4.6 oz Capacity, Thin and another one called Flexible. I purchased the one for wood and that is what I am trying on that Box Elder handle for the first time

17. Graydog

Graydog Contributor

18. I would like to see them. You guys have seen every attempt I have made since m I started.