What's new

My brush broke

As you can see, my new Edwin Jagger brush came apart during the fourth use. It looks like there just wasn't enough glue in there, it slides in and out freely now. I'm sure it will be an easy fix once I find my superglue. Is this a common occurrence?
$broken.png

superglue isnt water proof.silicone or epoxy is what you need.should be an easy fix,just dont over do thea mount of glue

+1 for this. Also, I would rough up the knot base and inner handle a little to give the adhesive more purchase.

superglue isnt water proof.silicone or epoxy is what you need.should be an easy fix,just dont over do thea mount of glue

I had the same thing happen to two different EJ brushes. WCS replaced the first one, and when the second one broke, I used Loctite 2-part epoxy. It worked great. Looking back, I think the damage to both brushes was my fault. Before I knew better, I was soaking the brush in very hot water. I think that weakened the original epoxy bond.

You could send it back but I would just set the knot with a marine epoxy. A few pennies worth of glue and your brush will be "set" for decades.

I agree with just resetting the knot yourself. I almost like seeing this happen sometimes. It is a sign that when your brush eventually wears out, it should be easy enough to get the old knot out and set a new one in the handle.

While it is an easy fix, I'd still contact the vender or manufacturer first, and let them know what happened. Being that the brush is so new, I would think they'd like to know the problem. They could offer a brand new brush.

Looking back, I think the damage to both brushes was my fault. Before I knew better, I was soaking the brush in very hot water. I think that weakened the original epoxy bond.

First off, a shaving brush *really* ought to be proof against hot water ;)

Second, how the heck hot is your water?? 5 minute epoxy is usually stable to 200 degrees F as a *working* temp!
I like my tap water to run hot, but near boiling is a bit scary!

I think it's more likely that EJ has either been using their adhesives a bit too sparingly or got a bad batch...

My New Forest lost its knot, but the culprit was just insufficient glue, the epoxy hadn't softened at all and I had been using it at least 3 times a week for several months. I re-glued the knot with a bit more glue than had been used originally and have had no further problems.

That happened to my Omega 49 a couple of years ago, on a beach trip. I was dumb enough to bring my biggest brush as a traveling brush. The knot (bound in black plastic) separated from the handle (white plastic). I just popped it back into place, and it's been fine ever since.

I agree with those who said that epoxy would be your best bet, not superglue. Good luck!

My tap is nowhere near boiling. I'm not familiar with the properties of epoxy. Hot soaking being the problem was only my guess. Perhaps it was just a bad batch of brushes.

Second, how the heck hot is your water?? 5 minute epoxy is usually stable to 200 degrees F as a *working* temp!

I think it's more likely that EJ has either been using their adhesives a bit too sparingly or got a bad batch...

Some brush manufacturers warn against using very hot water. 5 minute epoxy may be popular on the forums, but that doesn't necessarily mean that companies like EJ use it. They may prefer an adhesive that is less "permanent".

Are you using very hot water? That could be the reason behind what has happened.
Anyways, like many have suggested, it is an easy fix!

Well, the knot came loose, but it seems easy to fix. You can either use Devon Two-Ton, two-part epoxy, which takes at least a half-hour to set and probably an hour or so to cure, or use one of the water-resistant CA+ superglue gels, which sets in ten seconds and cures shortly after. Incidentally, I use water-resistant superglue in fly-tying. That stuff grips like grim death. Go easy on either adhesive, esp. near the top of the handle. You don't want to have it squished over the top and onto the exterior of your handle. A little adhesive goes a long way.

Oh it's definitely not close to boiling! I don't think that could have been it but... maybe?

I contacted the store I got it from and they said they'll give me a new one :laugh:

Oh it's definitely not close to boiling! I don't think that could have been it but... maybe?

I contacted the store I got it from and they said they'll give me a new one :laugh:

Congratulations! Going for the same model, or are you planning on something a little different?

Top Bottom