What's new

My brush attempt

I have been working on some restore brushes and two made from scratch.
Here are the two made from scratch.

I know some of you will hate the hook idea, but as my photos show it does not interfere with it's use and I hang my brushes to dry after each cleaning.

• The stubby is made from poplar wood, turned on a lathe, sanded smooth, given a coat of Mahogany stain and finished off with several coats of spar urethane. It has a 20 mm Golden Nib A+ Silver tip Knot. It lathers quite well with both creams and soaps. It does have enough backbone to hold up to soaps and is very soft against the skin.
  • The thinner longer handled brush is made of red oak, turned on a lathe and then the handle was carved and sanded to best fit my hand and thumb. I used aged oak stain and again finished off with several coats of spar urethane. I used a 22 mm Golden Nib Black Badger knot. If you wanted a badger know but really didn't want to give up your boar, this Knot is for you! This is comfortable yet almost as stiff as a boar. Perfect for soaps and of course works well with creams.

I used a waterproof epoxy from Ace Hardware to secure the knots. In some photos you will see I used the rubber washer trick to edge my work.

Below is the newly sanded handles:
View attachment 76043

Below here are the new handles finished:
View attachment 76045

In the next two photos you will notice that the hook does NOT interfere with holding of either brush:

View attachment 76046

View attachment 76047

Lastly, you will see why I wanted the hooks. Notice how the brushes are hung:

View attachment 76052

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That's a pretty good idea to keep stuff from cluttering the counter!
I know I have seen those hooks in a much smaller size at building supply / homeowner stores such as Lowes.
A good tip to keep in case the need arises.

John, the brushes look great! Hmm, I've been thinking about one of the GN black knots but almost boar-like, eh? Must think.

Excellent work!

Neat idea, but this could never work for me... I like to hold my brush like a Boss, the hooks would certainly interfere :001_tt2:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
cool.

do you hang then back up between passes?

Actually, NO. I set mine in the bowl.

John, the brushes look great! Hmm, I've been thinking about one of the GN black knots but almost boar-like, eh? Must think.

Excellent work!
If you want a badger with some boar characteristics, it's worth throeing into an old handle and giving it a go.
The price was reasonable for that Knot at the Golden Nib.

Neat idea, but this could never work for me... I like to hold my brush like a Boss, the hooks would certainly interfere :001_tt2:

If you have to hold it like that, yes it would interfere.

I assume John bowl lathers. Otherwise an excellent question. John?
Do I bowl lather yes, but not exclusively. I can use either brush to face lather. HOWEVER, the thin handled one is the best brush for face lathering. I hold it like the photos and can face lather and get the lather going quite well.
It comes from so much painting in my college days. It is very natural for me to hold the brush like I am cutting in a ceiling, doorway, or window.

I do prefer bowl lathering.
I also can sit my brush in the bowl when I need to use the razor.

I prefer these brushes because of their backbone and they hold loads of H2O.

Definitely a nice touch, and a nice variety of brush handles. I'm not sure if I'd use the hook, but it really solves the problem of not having enough brush holders. Whats next on the project list?

Definitely a nice touch, and a nice variety of brush handles. I'm not sure if I'd use the hook, but it really solves the problem of not having enough brush holders. Whats next on the project list?

I have 4 restore handles I am going over right now.
One will be synthetic, one boar and two more badger either A1 Silver tip or black badger.
A couple of those my hit the B/S/T.

John

Top Bottom