What's new

My Breakthrough Shave

So, it's been a while everybody! I've been coasting along with my shaving routine for at least a year. I found what I considered my desert island razor: the 1948 Gillette Aristocrat. But I think I found something that may even be far better for me!

My challenge is that I shave once a day, my hair is coarse and it doesn't grow just super fast. That means I have to take off a layer of incredibly short sandpaper off of my face every day and try to do so without destroying my skin. Especially now with the coronavirus, it's even more important that I shave for work in my healthcare job to be able to fit an N95 mask if I need it.

So the trick seems to be finding a mild razor with a very sharp blade. My Gillette safety razors always seem to scrape me in one spot or another. I don't even know if it's an issue of mildness so much as an issue of the safety bar design. Even my beloved Aristocrat seems to get me on my upper lip a lot of the time. Major burn with the aftershave! And what's worse, the irritation seems to build up day after day. That's been to cost of being constantly beardless.

So I tried something new. I've had my Merkur 1906 for a while and didnt love it. It was way too mild, so I put two shims in it pretty much the day I got it. Well, the other day, I took the shims out and tried the razor just as is with a Feather Blade.

Man what a difference! The Merkur can take down my iron sandpaper without even a mark on my skin! The next day I tried it with a Gillette Ruby and I felt no burn with the aftershave whatsoever, BBS with 24 hours growth. That has been my shave goal since I started in the Summer of '18. Apparently the design of the 1906 is for my exact shave scenario.

I have had to choose between irritated skin or 5 o'clock shadow for more than half my life. Now at the age of 40, I can actually shave every single day without tearing up my face in the process!

Have you guys tried the 1906? Is it similar to the 34c? The cap has a number 1 stamped into it.

Congratulations on finding your "Grail". I have not heard of the 1906 but I do have the 1904, though. Knurled handle with an open comb safety bar. Shaves very nice.

Awesome that you found a great razor for your skin! Don't feel bad about it taking so long. I'm 34 and just figured out that I need to shave in different directions on my neck. It sure is a good feeling when everything comes together!

The Merkur 1904 solid bar is the same head as the Merkur 34. That model comes in an open comb model as well. You didn't say which one you have but I'm guessing it is the solid bar since you say it looks like the 34.
Show us a picture.

Top Bottom