What's new

My body doesn't recognize DST

Whenever I've traveled a long ways, not just coast to coast but overseas, the major reset seemed to be easier than a hour or two.

A dreadful event thrust upon us twice a year by a benevolent government. "We're from the government and we're here to help." Uh huh.

There's a bill stalled in the House to make DST permanent.
"Sleep Experts" (there's always experts, eh?) say that Standard time is healthier.

I don't care. Pick one. Make it permanent. We're stuck in a tradition based on a stupid interpretation of an agro-centric idea that was worthless from the get-go.

I am in agreement. I don't care which, just pick one and make the nonsense stop.

There's a bill stalled in the House to make DST permanent.
"Sleep Experts" (there's always experts, eh?) say that Standard time is healthier.

I don't care. Pick one. Make it permanent. We're stuck in a tradition based on a stupid interpretation of an agro-centric idea that was worthless from the get-go.

Don't give elected officials a choice. They will often make the wrong one. Whatever the proper time offset from GMT, that should be the standard.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Don't give elected officials a choice. They will often make the wrong one. Whatever the proper time offset from GMT, that should be the standard.
While I agree, I'll take either one if they will just get together and decide on SOMETHING other than taking more money out of our pockets.
Pick one, I don't care. If it turns out they picked the wrong one, then it can be changed to the other one, and probably much easier than it is to just stop this stupid shifting twice a year.

While I agree, I'll take either one if they will just get together and decide on SOMETHING other than taking more money out of our pockets. Pick one, I don't care. If it turns out they picked the wrong one, then it can be changed to the other one, and probably much easier than it is to just stop this stupid shifting twice a year.

I'm in this camp. Just pick one. It seems that no elected official today is capable of making a decision. I thought this was one of the 420 bills sitting on our beloved President's desk waiting for his signature. Either way, I guess we start from scratch after tomorrow.

I dread the hassle of changing all my analog clocks twice a year. One of my favorite clocks fell over and broke while changing the time.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm in this camp. Just pick one. It seems that no elected official today is capable of making a decision. I thought this was one of the 420 bills sitting on our beloved President's desk waiting for his signature. Either way, I guess we start from scratch after tomorrow.
It was (miraculously) passed by the Senate quite some time ago, but it has stalled in the House (as usual). It seems unlikely that the House will act on this in the 17 working days left before they adjourn for the year, they will instead devote their remaining lame duck time pushing their own personal agendas and infighting with each other.

Reactions: ctr

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
What is time anyway? Is it basically just made up by humans? No other creature defines time as hours, months, seconds, etc. The sun comes up, the sun goes down. Daylight, nighttime. Sun, Moon.

Here in the US the railroads forced a country wide standard time back in the late 1800’s. I’m sure it had something to do with making them more money. Keeping the trains on “schedule”. Before that every city basically ran on their own clock.

1 hour really makes no difference to me one way or the other. If we stay on 1 set time, or change every year. IDC. I guess if I was forced to pick I’d say stay on one set time. Whichever time gives us the most daylight hours during the Summer.

Back in the '70s they experimented with leaving DST year around and it proved unpopular. For one thing, kids were having to go to school in the dark. If they do anything, it should be left at standard time.

Here's a link to an article concerning it.

It was (miraculously) passed by the Senate quite some time ago, but it has stalled in the House (as usual). It seems unlikely that the House will act on this in the 17 working days left before they adjourn for the year, they will instead devote their remaining lame duck time pushing their own personal agendas and infighting with each other.

Arizona, and maybe another State, don't change time and they've had no problem. I do recognize that that the biggest issue is kids going to school, or coming home in the dark. Surely there must be a middle ground, even if it means splitting the difference.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
STD.........................................DST
Sunrise....Sunset......................Sunrise....Sunset
6:07am....6:01pm***15-Mar***7:07am....7:01pm
4:17am....7:33pm***15-Jun***5:17am....8:33pm
5:35am....6:05pm***15-Sep***6:35am....7:05pm
7:17am....4:23pm***15-Dec***8:17am....5:23pm

Here's the quarterly sunrise / sunset time for both Standard and Daylight Saving Time.
If you ask me, neither is prohibitively troubling.
The difficulty some might have with a sunset as late as 8:33pm on 15 Jun, is to me - no worse than having a sunrise on that day of 4:17am.

Year round DST would be a disaster for people who live farther north in like, say, Canada. People in Edmonton for example wouldn't see the sun until just before 10:00 am in the dead of winter. Not acceptable sir! Everyone thinks of the summer months when there is abundant daylight on both ends of the day. No one ever thinks about the extra soul crushing dark freezing mornings that year round DST would bring. It's plenty bad enough as it is now, no need to make it worse. Year round standard time would be wonderful. Noon would happen with the sun at its zenith and everything, not when it's over there at some skiwampus angle.

Top Bottom