What's new

My Blade Search Journal

Great thread! I am new to DE shaving and going through my own blade search. My experiences are similar with some blades but definitely different with others. It's awesome to read someone else's opinions. Thank you.

Gillette Platinum Round 2 closing comments/Gillette Nacet Round 2 Shaves 1 & 2:

Sorry I haven't been as regular as I used to me. Life happens. Work has been extremely busy this month and I have a lot going on.

The 4th and final shave with the Gillette Platinum did not disappoint. After 8 shaves, it definitely deserves a spot in my top 3 blades. No new comments to make about it. after 7 previous review posts my thoughts remain the same.

The Gillette Nacet may actually get demoted to my second tier of blades but will probably remain in the same ranking spot for now. For the first shave of round 2 I used the R3 plate on my 6S for the first and second passes, and R2 plate for the final pass. The shave was still fairly comfortable overall but seemed to lack a bit of smoothness compared to the GP, Feather, and Wizamet/Polsilver. Still a quality blade that produces great results but just not as smooth, at least not on those plate settings.

For the second shave of round 2 with the Nacet I used the R2 plate for all 3 passes, even after 48 hours of growth. This setup resulted in a much smoother shave. The blade is still plenty sharp but is probably best used in a mild razor. I have no irritation and almost no stinging after running the alum block afterwards. I don't know that I will purchase a 100 pack of these blades but it is definitely a blade worth trying.

Gillette Nacet round 2:

For the third and fourth shaves of round 2 with the Nacet I used R2 plate for all 3 passes. Really good results, still feels smooth and sharp. No irritation. I still don’t feel like I need to get a bulk pack of them since I have bulk packs of a few other brands at the moment but if I had no other options of my top 3 for some reason, I could be happy shaving with these on a regular basis.

Next blade of Round 2 will be a return to Feather. After that I will most likely do the side by side (or back to back) of Voskhod and RPL, which i am very excited to see the results of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feather Round 2:

Over the past week I’ve done 5 shaves with the same Feather blade. All shaves were superb. I even shaved while traveling to see my parents for the weekend in less-than-ideal shaving conditions and never felt like the shave quality was compromised. Sharp, smooth, durable. This definitely competes quite well for my top spot. I am glad I have 100 of these in my cabinet.

Next up: Voskhod vs RPL. I will alternate blades from one day to the next to see if I can identify differences between the two as they are so close in performance for me

Voskhod/RPL comparison:

I am 2 shaves in with both blades. I have been alternating Voskhod for one shave, RPL for the next shave. The first shaves with each were following 48 hours of growth, the second shave with each after 36 hours of growth. I used the same setup for each. Honestly, I am struggling to find a significant difference between these two blades for me. I can tell they are slightly different by their feel but the qualities of the blades are so similar I struggle to tell a noticeable difference. I don’t feel that either one is the best blade for me, having had such great experiences with several other blades already. I feel that they mainly lack in the sharpness I like from my top blades. They are both quite smooth and provide an overall comfortable shave with no irritation.

Top Bottom