What's new

My black GBS TTO/adjustable arrived today!

What you bought is a Weishi adjustable razor branded as whatever they decided to invent as a brand to sell it to you.

Some not very good reviews a couple of years ago when that razor was released. Some said the mechanism doesn't work very good, you can't change the setting without opening the doors. Others have complained that even on the maximum setting it is terribly mild, which actually is not avery good for an adjustable razor.
My guess is you paid $40 for that thing.
Not everyone is aware of re-branding, and not all re-branded items are awful. We live in a capitalist society, everything is branded to sell it to you. Lots of people like the lower end razor as an inexpensive intro to DE shaving, a cheap camp/travel razor, or just for fun to try it out. In most cases you can get them in the $20-40 range.

The updated view on things is that some of the quality control issues have improved, but that the lower end rebrands are still buyer beware. That said, others have pointed out that even on brand razors, like Parker, have had some ups and downs in quality in the past, that also seem to be mostly worked out. Obviously if you get a gimpy one, that isn't good, and would depend on the seller as to refunds, etc.

Overall there is a perception that adjustables are mild. I think it falls under YMMV somewhat. There is a difference between 'on the milder' side, and 'terribly mild'. Whether vintage Gillettes, or a brand new Weishi, there is a sizeable number of people that feel adjustables run mild, and that only on the higher levels do they get enough efficiency. For many people, an adjustable on mid setting is in the medium to mild range. This based only on the dozen or so threads talking about adjustables. There definitely was no large group of people arguing that they were aggressive, for example.

I paid $22.95 for the whole megillah. I don't think that it is a bad razor and it isn't overly mild. I'm not unhappy. If I want an even better shave, I'll just buy a 100-pack of Gillette Platinum Stainless Steel Blades (Made in Russia) and use them in both my KCG and Weishi Razors. ($12.99 is cheap enough for a year of shaving, don't you think)?
Excellent that you found something that works so well, and economical too! I've been contemplating getting another razor, inexpensive, and adjustable, so have looked at Weishi, Baili and others. I hadn't run across the GBS, but good to know. I'm a recovering RAD, so I'm trying to be stern with myself not to get one. I have two vintage that later this year I want to send out for cleaning/polishing, and though they won't be gone long, I thought it would be nice to have a 'backup' razor to use, instead of just grabbing some 'use once' disposable cartridges. Of course then I think, if I'm going to put out 20-50 dollars, why not just add to that and get something more spiffy. But, there is something to be said for simple and straightforward at a nice price.

I also have to thank you for some inadvertent education. I was aware of 'the whole megillah', and probably used it a few times here or there back in the day, but, didn't actually know where it came from, just its general meaning (which is odd for me, because I always love finding out about stuff). Part of what caught my eye, is that I thought it was 'whole magilla'. So, off to Google. Fascinating. I had no idea it was Yiddish, or related to the bible.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have two vintage that later this year I want to send out for cleaning/polishing, and though they won't be gone long, I thought it would be nice to have a 'backup' razor to use, instead of just grabbing some 'use once' disposable cartridges. Of course then I think, if I'm going to put out 20-50 dollars, why not just add to that and get something more spiffy. But, there is something to be said for simple and straightforward at a nice price.
Haven't you gotten a Slim yet, @desrgrl ? I'm trying to get my daughter to try mine and wean her off of her Venus 3-blade thing.

~doug~

Haven't you gotten a Slim yet, @desrgrl ? I'm trying to get my daughter to try mine and wean her off of her Venus 3-blade thing.

~doug~
The Slim is one of the two vintage one's I'm referring to, which I love. If I send the Slim and Flare out for clean/polish, I'd need another razor for a short period of time. The sane thing to do would be to pick up a few disposables, or even to buy a small pack of cartridges, and ask my housemate to let me use his hand. However, there is nothing like an excuse to get another razor.

I have a Black Beauty I am going to PIF, just hadn't done so yet, if you think it would be worth trying, DM me and we can make arrangements. I found that I liked the longer handle length (its a 109), but I felt it was top heavy, because the handle was light, so it didn't suit me as well, I liked the Slim (which I received from the same person) better. Also, in my opinion, a Flare, a Blue Tip superspeed, or a Gillette starburst are all nice options to keep an eye out for, if you're going vintage.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The Slim is one of the two vintage one's I'm referring to, which I love. If I send the Slim and Flare out for clean/polish, I'd need another razor for a short period of time. The sane thing to do would be to pick up a few disposables, or even to buy a small pack of cartridges, and ask my housemate to let me use his hand. However, there is nothing like an excuse to get another razor.

I have a Black Beauty I am going to PIF, just hadn't done so yet, if you think it would be worth trying, DM me and we can make arrangements. I found that I liked the longer handle length (its a 109), but I felt it was top heavy, because the handle was light, so it didn't suit me as well, I liked the Slim (which I received from the same person) better. Also, in my opinion, a Flare, a Blue Tip superspeed, or a Gillette starburst are all nice options to keep an eye out for, if you're going vintage.
Knowing my daughter, I will probably have to get her a Lady Gillette, or something blue. Just not my Phantom Blue, that one scares her. :scared:

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I've been contemplating getting another razor, inexpensive, and adjustable, so have looked at Weishi, Baili and others. I hadn't run across the GBS, but good to know. I'm a recovering RAD, so I'm trying to be stern with myself not to get one. I have two vintage that later this year I want to send out for cleaning/polishing, and though they won't be gone long, I thought it would be nice to have a 'backup' razor to use, instead of just grabbing some 'use once' disposable cartridges. Of course then I think, if I'm going to put out 20-50 dollars, why not just add to that and get something more spiffy.
The venerable VDH certainly wont break the bank, and I finally got around to picking one up to try as it was one of the first razors I considered when I started my wet shaving journey 3 years ago. Now I just have to figure where it fits in the rotation, I'm thinking---when I want a mild shave---
20220503_212623[1].jpg
I have a Black Beauty I am going to PIF
Thanks, but I have enough vintage razors already that I need to PIF a few myself! :thumbup1:

I also have a few razors that I want to send out for polishing/plating also, but I have plenty of other razors to use while I wait..:cornut:

~doug~

I have to report that I was a rascal last Friday. While I was in Walmart (in Cornelius, OR) I suggested a VDH (Weishi) razor to a man. (His wife was with him). I went as far as to put one in his shopping cart. All the while, his wife was nodding her head, offering affirming agreements to everything I said. Needless to say, they bought the razor.

He smiled... another happy convert to the "better side" of wet shaving!

Top Bottom