What's new

My big ol' Mergress did something...

I didn't even know this could happen, but as I was cleaning up after my shave this is what it did. Is it ruined, or is it a simple matter of putting the pieces back together??? I'll be using one of my Gillette TTO's for now.

Attachments

• 20200211_180743.jpg
    20200211_180743.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 133
Oh, a few years old I guess. Maybe 5-7. I'm the original owner and have used it almost exclusively since I got it.
Sorry about your misfortune. I'm curious. Do you think you'll replace it with another Merkur Progress, or do you think you'll buy something else ultimately? And like what?

As to adjustable razors (new and vintage) in random order I like the Parker Variant, Fat Boy, Slim, and Black Beauty (Long Handle and Short Handle). I also like the Progress very much (in spite of your bad luck) and the Futur. So you have much to choose from!

Sorry about your misfortune. I'm curious. Do you think you'll replace it with another Merkur Progress, or do you think you'll buy something else ultimately? And like what?

As to adjustable razors (new and vintage) in random order I like the Parker Variant, Fat Boy, Slim, and Black Beauty (Long Handle and Short Handle). I also like the Progress very much (in spite of your bad luck) and the Futur. So you have much to choose from!

I'll probably just use one of my Gillette's for a while. The Large Mergress was kinda hard to get. Kinda got to consider for a bit.

R

romsitsa

Hello, the tube of the adjuster plate should have a crimp, this rotted away. The razor is useable, but it will most likely come apart the same way at any blade change.
If it bothers you, or it rots further (the safety bar doesn’t look good), just pull out the adjusting knob, get another Merkur and swap the knob.

Adam

Hello, the tube of the adjuster plate should have a crimp, this rotted away. The razor is useable, but it will most likely come apart the same way at any blade change.
If it bothers you, or it rots further (the safety bar doesn’t look good), just pull out the adjusting knob, get another Merkur and swap the knob.

Adam
Good suggestion from Adam! Also, I've learned the hard way to never throw away old parts. It's surprising how useful they often are, maybe years later in totally unforeseen circumstances.

Good suggestion from Adam! Also, I've learned the hard way to never throw away old parts. It's surprising how useful they often are, maybe years later in totally unforeseen circumstances.
HOARDER! LOL I too have learned this the hard way. On auto parts all my life and recently on razor parts.

Mergress razors were pricey. So maybe your razor cost you $20 dollars a year??? You could have done worse with your money, I would have guessed. :lemo:

Yep. It's been a good ride.

Closer to $10 a year, though -- they're over at Bullgoose at $132.

Last edited:
I haven't had to deal with Merkur customer service, but my experience with other wet shaving product manufacturers (Edwin Jagger, Muhle, Simpsons) has been outstanding. Edwin Jagger, for example, replaced a DE89 head that was several years old after the threads rotted out. My recommendation would be to write to Merkur and enclose pictures of the problem.

You could get a Variant and put the cap and knob on the Variant. I much prefer the Merkur top cap on my Variant. If you get another progress, keep the cap and of course, the knob also. Might need that cap for a rainy zamack day in the future.

I intentionally rinse my Variant with the head at a downward angle to avoid any water getting inside. I also compress the head with my fingers before tightening the knob to extend the life of my Variant. So far so good.

Top Bottom