What's new

My Bexley Bunch

Bexley Fountain Pens don't seem to get as much discussion as that other Ohio-made brand, Edison, but it's not because there's anything wrong with them. The Bexley Pen Co. was founded in 1993 by Howard Levy in Columbus, Ohio and still manufactures pens at that location today. Their designs tend toward the "old school" classic pens from the 20s and 30s, but they certainly don't lack for quality or visual appeal. Personally, I think they're terrific and I look forward to adding more to my small collection.

Here's my mini-collection of Bexley fountain pens. I just picked up the last one on Saturday at the Philly Pen Show and thought it was time to have them all pose for a family photo. I really like each one of these and expect the family will continue to grow over the years.

From left to right:
- Bexley Demeter, Black Acrylic with Red trim rings and a Medium Steel Nib (the new addition)
- Bexley Jim Gaston Limited Edition - 2001. Red-Black woodgrain Ebonite and a big honkin' Medium Waterman 18K nib and section.
- Bexley Owner’s Club - 2009 (#56 of 116). Blue-Black rippled Ebonite with a Fine 18K gold nib.

$IMG_3755.jpg

$IMG_3757.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Some nice classic styles there, Larry. I remember buying quite a few Sheaffers from Jim Gaston while he was still in business but I never knew he had a Bexley designed for him as a tribute!

He had multiple models made. I have a 149 styled Bexley Gaston's Special Reserve w/14k stub. One of my fav pens.

I've considered a Poseidon Magnum II a few times.

Some nice classic styles there, Larry. I remember buying quite a few Sheaffers from Jim Gaston while he was still in business but I never knew he had a Bexley designed for him as a tribute!
From what the folks at Vanness Pens told me, Gaston had a working relationship with Bexley and they would periodically collaborate on a special edition pen. I think Vanness ended up with a lot of Gaston's inventory when he passed away.

[MENTION=31638]Snargle[/MENTION], those are beauties. A few weeks ago, I bought a Bexley Monarch, and I love it. In fact, I loved it so much that when I heard through FPN that Bexley had some leftover prototypes of the New Prometheus (a model that never went into full production), I wrote to Howard Levy and asked him about it. He was very nice and sold me one in black and red swirl ebonite at a really good price. It's a stunner, and I'm now a big fan.

What I wouldn't give to get a 2006 OC in either color. But the only one that I've ever even seen for sale was a "non-OC", meaning it was the same pen, but not numbered and no engraving. Even Howard himself said it shouldn't be considered part of the OC run without those things. Right now I have a 10th Anniv. LE (the Cherry Lime swirl), a Monarch, and a Rio Grande Red Americana (I also had a Sierra silver Americana, but sold that).

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Beautiful pens, Larry! I've passed up a few heavily discounted Bexleys three or four months back because I didn't know much about them. Now I wish I would have swooped them up.

BTW, all three of these Bexley's were purchased at fountain pen shows, at significant discounts from their original or online prices. It really does pay to get to some shows, particularly if you're interested in something vintage or out of the ordinary.

Top Bottom