What's new

My BBQ Pit Project

Ok guys, thoughts on these two options.

Lincoln Weldpak 3200hd with cart, fair amount of wire, and helmet local for $350obo

or

Hobart Handler 140 with cart, CO2 cyl, gloves, couple rolls of wire, and helmet 2 hours away for $525

Thoughts?

I'm having a hard time finding info on the 3200HD to make a good choice on.

Last edited:
IMO, The Lincoln 3200hd is a solid entry level/hobbyist machine that will certainly do what want (I opted for a 220v Lincoln unit) The Hobart 140 is a better welder out of the box and history, with the CO2 cyl, depending on the condition and helmet comparison I would lean toward the Hobart. Both come from solid companies and both look like reasonable deals. I like the Hobart.

Tom

IMO, The Lincoln 3200hd is a solid entry level/hobbyist machine that will certainly do what want (I opted for a 220v Lincoln unit) The Hobart 140 is a better welder out of the box and history, with the CO2 cyl, depending on the condition and helmet comparison I would lean toward the Hobart. Both come from solid companies and both look like reasonable deals. I like the Hobart.

Tom

Tom, thanks for that, what makes the Hobart a better welder as all the info I can find on the 3200HD seems they are very comparable. I'm leaning heavily towards the Lincoln as its over $200 cheaper, local, and I would prob rather run C25 than CO2.

Tom, thanks for that, what makes the Hobart a better welder as all the info I can find on the 3200HD seems they are very comparable. I'm leaning heavily towards the Lincoln as its over $200 cheaper, local, and I would prob rather run C25 than CO2.

I don't know for certain. From talking to blacksmiths and welders, most recommend the Hobart 140. From what I hear, Hobart and Miller make one line of products for professional use. Lincoln makes different models of the same class for sale in welding supply shops and for big box stores (at a lower price) so something is different inside. (The 3200hd is for Home Depot) That might explain the higher retail and resale price for the Hobart. That said, I bought a Lincoln Pro mig 175 from lowes. On sale it was a great deal and works great for me, I'm not running it daily 4-6 hours. Both are solid companies and you won't go wrong with either. Is the CO2 cylinder steel or aluminum? I use argon/co2, Perhaps you can exchange it for a full tank of what you want. You can also forgo the gas and use self-shielding wire. I use mig/gas on sheet metal and self-shielding/flux-core wire on the thick stuff.

Are the helmets comparable?

Tom

Last edited:
So I finally have an update!

I kind of fell into at least one welder and maybe two.

I found an awesome deal on a Hobart Handler 140 (the new one with 5 tap settings) brand new never used for $300 at a pawn shop in VB. My buddy is picking that one up today for me.

I also am currently the winning bidder on a brand new in box Lincoln Pro MIG 140. That ebay auction ends this evening. It is currently sitting at my max bid and if someone bids $5 more in the next 10.5h then I won’t have to worry about it.

If I do win it then I will have to make a choice as to which one I want to keep haha. They both seem to be really nice welders made by awesome companies. The only difference I can find is that the Hobart has 5 tap settings with voltage curves maxing at 110-150 depending on the setting. The Lincoln has a downward angle drive roller.

Either way, if I end up with both, I can most likely sell either for a bit of profit which will go back into the project.

I also am getting a gas bottle for argon blend, which should be here next week!

All in all I’m stoked to be able to soon make some practice sparks!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I take it that the eBay bidding went south. I don't know what going south means, cause in my book that's a positive. Anywho....your welding in straight line will be fun to watch no matter the setup.

Not so much that the ebay bidding went South as I already had my buddy pick up the Hobart and I crossed my fingers that someone would out bid me haha. It ended up selling for $425, still a great deal for a brand new in box 140 class welder.

I will certainly be posting my welding progression. I have already read a TON of information and watched countless youtube vids. I still prob won't be able to weld for anything for quite some time. I plan on running a TON of practice beads and just burnning wire for quite sometime to come.

I also have a 80cf Argon tank on it's way to me! It should be in next week. I know it's right on the boarder for being too small for home use, but I know a guy that gets screaming deals on the tanks. $105 shipped to my door for a steel 80cf. The local welding supply wanted over $250 for the same tank.

Awesome! Grab all the scrap you find and have fun sticking it together! (Nice stress relief pounding and bending trying to break your welds). Good luck!

Tom

Top Bottom