What's new

My Barber

I like barbershops with nostalgic stuff in 'em.

My barbershop is full of nostalgic items, deeply covered in dust. One item is my barber’s only gold record. He has taste in music that is agreeable to me, but I really keep going back because he can really cut hair. It is definitely not for the shop cleanliness or regular hours.

I’ve been watching it go downhill for over a decade as he ages and his health declines. He’s clean, the tools are clean, the chair is clean. I guess I can ignore the rest. I tip well and don’t take the senior discount. The man is an artist.

Great post, Twelvefret! Awesome pics of some really cool stuff. Just bought a 1967 Paidar barber chair tonight for my rec room. Been wanting one for awhile and came across one last night. Like you, I enjoy chatting with my barber about the same things you mentioned.
Would love to see your new Paidar chair. :a14:

I've been a barber for 53 years this month.

They sure don't make barber chairs, or anything, like they used to. Those old chairs are built like tanks. The hydraulic mechanisms can function for many decades before they need attention.

In the late nineteenth century, Theodore Koken, a German immigrant, invented the three-way lever that pumps the chair up and lets it down gently, and that tilts it back for shaving. He went on to manufacture barber chairs equipped with his lever and did very well.

If you buy an oldie, there are businesses that can re-plate the metal parts with nickel, re-new the porcelain coating on the cast-iron, and of course reupholster the lumpy seat. As for mechanical or hydraulic repairs, I've never needed that service, but I'm sure there are people who can do that too. But I'd hate to pay for shipping if the guy was in another part of the country.

I’ve been seeing the same barbers at my local barbershop for 17 years now. I can get a damn good haircut for $17; also they do straight razor shaves for the same price. I haven’t had one of their straight razor shaves in a few years as now I’m very proficient at wet shaving. From what I can remember, they use hot towels, oil and shave lather from a lathering machine as well as they do if I remember correctly 3 passes.

Then he said the chair I was sitting in was made in 1912. I asked if it was a Theo Koch’s from Chicago, and it was.

Here are some others dating from 1890’s through 1918.

Got my hair cut yesterday at my long time independent shop. Two vintage Koken chairs, though I’ve only sat in the one nearest the window. I’ve been getting haircuts there through three ownerships since 1996. I’m betting that shop has been there since before WW2.

First barber passed on. I still miss the vintage neck massage machine he used after SR shaving the back of the neck. Always got a final dusting with talc and a little scent in the hair, too.

Second owners were a couple not meant to work in the same shop at the same time. No fun getting a haircut while they fought. I had used the same guy, different shop, years earlier when he was single and much happier.

My current barber just told me he’s been licensed 45 years. We’re both old enough to know better, but we discussed motorcycle possibilities anyway.

Those Koken chairs might benefit from some restoration, but they are still doing fine duty. I couldn’t get in on Friday, but was the only customer on Saturday. A barber’s life...

. . . Then he said the chair I was sitting in was made in 1912. I asked if it was a Theo Koch’s from Chicago, and it was. . . .
The barber who cut my hair when I was in grammar school had a chair like that; I recall the "Theo Kochs" on it. His shop was next to the now-infamous Cafe Lafitte in Exile Bar, but it's long gone (the bar, however, abides).

A few years back I spotted a barbershop on the ground floor of the Monteleone Hotel in the French Quarter, Bienville between Royal and Chartres Streets. A look through the window showed all the classic details, chairs, Pinaud Clubman, brushes, the works. It still exists: yelp.com/biz/monteleone-barber-shop-new-orleans

My barber since 1979 (except when I lived in Denver, natch) is old-school too. He and his business partner graduated from barber college on Nov. 22, 1963 -- a hard date to forget in any case. I've never had him shave me, though.

My barber since 1979

Nice! There’s some continuity. I guess I pick up my barbers too late in the cycle of life.

I see Cafe Lafitte in Exile is 24/7. Are drive-in “go-cups” still a thing in Louisiana? And can I get a shave 24/7? I want New Orleans to stay legendary, just in case I ever visit.

Nice! There’s some continuity. I guess I pick up my barbers too late in the cycle of life.

I see Cafe Lafitte in Exile is 24/7. Are drive-in “go-cups” still a thing in Louisiana? And can I get a shave 24/7? I want New Orleans to stay legendary, just in case I ever visit.
I think we still have drive-up daiquiri shops, though if a cop stops you you'd better have a lid on the cup, and better still, have it snugly in the paper bag.

A 24/7 shave? Good question. Not one that's ever swum into my ken, but a good one nevertheless. No idea. Maybe there could be a all-hours barbershop in one of the hotels that have sprung up all over Canal Street and near it like giant mushrooms.

If you visit, do it during December, January, or February; those are the only tolerable months. The rest of the year, even October and November, is a steam bath, and not the good kind.

Pretty cool pictures. Thanks for sharing.
My Mom and Dad used to have a barbers chair in the living room very similar to the white and brown one but with red upholstery. It was quite comfortable.

Great thread and pics! I recently found a new barber after my last one retired.

He's a younger guy but is interested in "vintage" barber shop accessories and antique items. The barber chair is from the 40's and there are a couple of glass cases full of razors,clippers etc. and along one wall the waiting seats are a row of wood backed seats from the town's first movie theatre that he rescued from an attic somewhere.

The shop smells like Clubman talc, Bay rum and Lucky tiger too.

I never thought I'd say it but the new barber shop is better than the old one I used to go to.

I've been a barber for 53 years this month.

They sure don't make barber chairs, or anything, like they used to. Those old chairs are built like tanks. The hydraulic mechanisms can function for many decades before they need attention.

In the late nineteenth century, Theodore Koken, a German immigrant, invented the three-way lever that pumps the chair up and lets it down gently, and that tilts it back for shaving. He went on to manufacture barber chairs equipped with his lever and did very well.

If you buy an oldie, there are businesses that can re-plate the metal parts with nickel, re-new the porcelain coating on the cast-iron, and of course reupholster the lumpy seat. As for mechanical or hydraulic repairs, I've never needed that service, but I'm sure there are people who can do that too. But I'd hate to pay for shipping if the guy was in another part of the country.

Question for you... do you need to oil or do any maintenance on the hydraulics? I asked the guy I bought my chair from if it leaked any hydraulic fluid or anything. He said he personally only had it for a few weeks so he didn't honestly know. He said his dad had the chair for years in his workshop. Seemed like an honest guy. Anyway, got it into my rec room and so far from what I have noticed is if the lever is in the position to lock the chair, there's a little hole that drips what I presume is hydraulic fluid. However, when the lever is in the position that allows the chair to circle around, nothing drips because the hole I mentioned above is facing the person behind the chair whereas when it's in the locked position, the hole is facing the floor. Needless to say, I leave it in the unlocked position. Just wondering if I should be doing anything to maintain it. There's basically no info on how to maintain it. One last thing... it has a headrest, but I don't think it's original to the chair. Given I'm not a barber, it's not a big deal to me. However I'm glad it at least has one. Any advice you can provide me with on maintaining the chair would be helpful and appreciated!

Question for you... do you need to oil or do any maintenance on the hydraulics? I asked the guy I bought my chair from if it leaked any hydraulic fluid or anything. He said he personally only had it for a few weeks so he didn't honestly know. He said his dad had the chair for years in his workshop. Seemed like an honest guy. Anyway, got it into my rec room and so far from what I have noticed is if the lever is in the position to lock the chair, there's a little hole that drips what I presume is hydraulic fluid. However, when the lever is in the position that allows the chair to circle around, nothing drips because the hole I mentioned above is facing the person behind the chair whereas when it's in the locked position, the hole is facing the floor. Needless to say, I leave it in the unlocked position. Just wondering if I should be doing anything to maintain it. There's basically no info on how to maintain it. One last thing... it has a headrest, but I don't think it's original to the chair. Given I'm not a barber, it's not a big deal to me. However I'm glad it at least has one. Any advice you can provide me with on maintaining the chair would be helpful and appreciated!

Carthart, the chair shouldn't leak, and if it bothers you enough, you may want to find someone who can fix it. I wish I had a name for you. If you find someone too far away to drive to, perhaps you can disassemble the faulty part and just send him that. Of course shipping the whole chair would cost a bundle. If you decide to use it as-is, you may need to add hydraulic jack fluid to it occasionally. Keep a piece of cardboard beneath the chair to catch the drips. As for other maintenance, just keep it clean and shiny.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
My barber in my hometown bought his shop from another barber that had been cutting hair in the same chair since the early 50’s. The old barber, Mr. Jackson, would come in about 0900 read the newspaper and the fall asleep in his chair. He has to be in his late 80’s at the time and still had a few customers in their 70’s that he had been cutting for their entire lives. I stopped in one time and the new owner, Jerry, was at lunch. Mr. Jackson offered to cut my hair and I figured why not? My mistake. I should have known better when I told him I wanted a 2 on the side and he said he didn’t have any guards. His exact words were “when I started cutting hair there was the businessman cut and the buzz cut.” I ended up with the buzz cut. My barber now is young, covered in tats, and has a long beard. But he does strait razor shaves and uses clubman after. I still miss the old shop.

My barber in my hometown bought his shop from another barber that had been cutting hair in the same chair since the early 50’s. The old barber, Mr. Jackson, would come in about 0900 read the newspaper and the fall asleep in his chair. He has to be in his late 80’s at the time and still had a few customers in their 70’s that he had been cutting for their entire lives. I stopped in one time and the new owner, Jerry, was at lunch. Mr. Jackson offered to cut my hair and I figured why not? My mistake. I should have known better when I told him I wanted a 2 on the side and he said he didn’t have any guards. His exact words were “when I started cutting hair there was the businessman cut and the buzz cut.” I ended up with the buzz cut. My barber now is young, covered in tats, and has a long beard. But he does strait razor shaves and uses clubman after. I still miss the old shop.

Great story. Thanks for it.

Carthart, the chair shouldn't leak, and if it bothers you enough, you may want to find someone who can fix it. I wish I had a name for you. If you find someone too far away to drive to, perhaps you can disassemble the faulty part and just send him that. Of course shipping the whole chair would cost a bundle. If you decide to use it as-is, you may need to add hydraulic jack fluid to it occasionally. Keep a piece of cardboard beneath the chair to catch the drips. As for other maintenance, just keep it clean and shiny.

Appreciate your response, Carson West. If I was a barber and used the chair for it's real purpose, I would look into fixing it. But since I think I found a workaround for my purposes, I'll just leave the lever in the unlocked position. When you mentioned that I may need to add hydraulic fluid, is where it is added pretty standard with all barber chairs from the 1960's? If so, do you know where I would add it? The chair is a 1967 Paidar. I'm guessing I would need to add the fluid if I end up having problems with raising the chair, correct? Here's a pic of the hole I referenced in my post above --- circled. In the position shown in the pic, no leaks.
BC1 hole.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom