What's new

My badger isn't drying out...

My Simpson Major Turnback Best Badger brush isn't drying out between uses. After I finish shaving I shake the heck out of it, but I guess the Hawaiian trade winds aren't drying it out enough. Should I be concerned? Mold and other funk are common here in windward Hawaii. Any solutions? Is it ok to give a badger a blow dry?

KingSlug

KingSlug (do you have a first name?),

I use a blow dryer on my brushes. Let me explain my drying technique. After rinsing out the brush, I shake it until I no longer feel water "flying" off of the brush. Then, I gently wrap it in a washcloth, and lightly compress the cloth on the bristles. Finally, I use my blow dryer, on a cool setting, on the brush for one minute. Seldom longer. Now, I generally do not use the same brush 2days in a row, which gives the brush more time to air dry. Try that method, or, buy another brush. What better reason to buy a brush than to protect the investment of the first brush?

Randy

I have the same problem, which I solved by buying multiple brushes!

I find that my pure badger brushes dry much more quickly than my silvertip - which makes sense given that the silvertip holds much more water.

Suzuki said:
I have the same problem, which I solved by buying multiple brushes!

I find that my pure badger brushes dry much more quickly than my silvertip - which makes sense given that the silvertip holds much more water.

I second this. This is the primary practical reason to have at least 2 brushes. If you are hanging this Simpson upside down you may try uprighting it to help it dry faster after it has hung for a few hours or even a day. Simpson knots are tight enough that they usually prevent water drops from going below the knot. I myself would be wary of a blow dryer.

thestubblefactory said:
I second this. This is the primary practical reason to have at least 2 brushes. If you are hanging this Simpson upside down you may try uprighting it to help it dry faster after it has hung for a few hours or even a day. Simpson knots are tight enough that they usually prevent water drops from going below the knot. I myself would be wary of a blow dryer.

Just remember, you have to use the "cool" setting. Air in motion will help the brush to dry quicker. It doesn't have to be hot air.

Randy

after shaking out the water, blot brush on a towel, hang to dry and finally:

GIVE IN TO THE BAD, resistance is futile! :wink:

Marty

Thanks for the replies.

I talked to my pop last night and he said not to worry so much about it drying out completely if I keep it clean. He suggested after I was done shaving and rinsed the brush to rinse it a final solution of borax disolved in water the shake out and put it away. Apparently the borax is an anti-fungal and anti-mold. He said some Master Gunnery Sgt in the USMC taught him this in Vietnam; apparently washing and final rinse for your clothes, body and even shave brush with weak solution of borax will keep you mold/fungal free.

I looked it up on the net and borax is a good anti-fugal/mold treatment for water damaged wood, a treatment for termites, poison for ants and other critters but is non-toxic to humans.

I only have 2 shave brushes: a Simpson turnback and a Vulfix turnback. I guess I will break the Vulfix out of my hygiene kit. Normally I let the brushes dry knot up, I have used a cool blowdrier when on the road when I had to put my shave brush in my kit directly. I guess I will breakout the borax.

Thanks again.

KingSlug

I spread my fingers out like I am showing the number 4 to myself and then I flick the brush back and forth across the fingers. It seems to help get quite a bit more water out. (works well for paint brushes as well)

In humid climates, a *gasp* synthetic such as the Men-u or Omega might be something to try :eek: (I use mine on and off, it's different than the badger, much more 'targeted' rather than 'all over the face' if you will).

J

When I first started using a brush, I would read on the forums where gents would buff the brush on a towel to speed up the drying process. I figured if buffing the brush on a towel would not hurt it, then using the cool setting with the hair dryer could do no harm. Well over a year later, and I see no damage, and my brushes aren't shedding.

Randy

Having two brushes & alternating 'em between shaves makes perfect sense, which (happily) justifies yet another brush purchase. :biggrin:

Ain't it great?!?? :w00t:

Only WHICH one...? :confused: :confused: :confused:

-Clive

Hammond_B-3 said:
Having two brushes & alternating 'em between shaves makes perfect sense, which (happily) justifies yet another brush purchase. :biggrin:

-Clive

What do you mean "which ONE?"

Randy

Hammond_B-3 said:

-Clive

Then you feel brush # 1 and think, "you know, this is still a wee bit damp- I must buy a third brush" and so it goes...

Top Bottom