What's new

My Attempt To Review 7 Aftershaves I Just Sampled

Okay...I decided to write this review to give a scent-only perspective on some aftershaves I just recently sampled. I am definitely not a “scentsmith,” but maybe this can help somebody else to navigate some of the 100s of choices this “hobby” presents.

For reference, I really don’t have a childhood connection with any of the old scents (or, if so, I haven’t found it yet), but I am partial to an aftershave that lingers throughout the day. At 44 years of age, I really don’t have an old barbershop connection either. I have also been shaving my head for about 10-15 years now. I love menthol. I don’t want to “announce myself” when I enter a room, but I like to be able to smell the scent on myself for the entire workday. I have also found so far that, in general, I prefer an aftershave that matches my soap scents. I currently have 5 soaps in my den, and I truly love them all. So you can get an idea of scents that I prefer, my soaps are: WSP Tobacco & Barbershop, LASSCo Blackfern & Black Rose, and Stirling Gin and Tonic on the Rocks. I have the matching aftershaves for both WSP soaps and they are my favorites so far. I have the matching aftershaves on order right now for the LASSCo soaps as well.

The aftershaves in my sampling were:

Clubman

Clubman Special Reserve

Fine American Blend

Fine Fresh Vetiver

Fine Italian Citrus

Floid Vigoroso

Geo F Trumper Limes

I immediately applied the scents to small paper towel sections and ranked them, then asked my wife to rank them as well. Here are our initial rankings (best - worst):

Her - Fine Fresh Vetiver, Fine Italian Citrus, Geo F Trumper Limes, Clubman Special Reserve, Floid Vigoroso, Clubman, Fine American Blend.

Me - Geo F Trumper Limes, Clubman Special Reserve, Fine Italian Citrus, Fine Fresh Vetiver, Clubman, Fine American Blend, Floid Vigoroso.

I will now give our combined and final rankings after I applied the aftershaves to my skin. I asked for my wife’s appraisals after the scents were on for about an hour. We differed slightly on a couple, but agreed on most, especially the top 2. Here ya go (ranked in reverse order):

Fine Fresh Vetiver - To my nose, old lady. This was my wife’s pick out of the bottle, but she hated it as well when I splashed it on. I like fresh scents, and I too, thought it smelled pretty good from the bottle. A “fine” example of “try it before you buy it.”

Fine Italian Citrus - Another scent we both liked out of the bottle, and both hated when I wore it. The Citrus blast we both loved on paper, quickly turned to an overpowering powdery citrus that, again, reminded us of an over-perfumed old woman. Crazy.

Floid Vigoroso - A truly uncommon scent that was not for me. Powdery and musky? I didn’t hate it, per se, but couldn’t see wearing it all day. Seemed to have decent linger, however, and I loved the menthol kick.

Clubman Special Reserve - This is one that I thought I was going to like after smelling out of the bottle, but when applied, it was just too much for me. Complex and a little spicy (?), but just not something I want to smell all day. Very strong and lingering.

Clubman - This is closest to a “familiar scent” for me out of the lot. I kinda like the scent, but the wife did not - at all. Maybe too much going on here. Probably not a scent that I want to smell all day long. However, I did not decant into a glass bottle as many have suggested. Doing so, may be the difference for me. I may try this, but I’m unlikely to keep it because of the wife’s aversion to the scent.

Geo F. Trumper Limes - A very fresh citrus blast that I love paired with my Gin and Tonic soap. May have been my favorite, but it just doesn’t linger much at all. I could see buying this to use in the summer or on days when I don’t want a lingering scent. Clean. Fresh. If I was forced to pick the one product that my skin like the best, it was this one.

Fine American Blend - I chose this as my favorite mainly because it goes with all of my soaps and has pretty good staying power. Smells a little overpowering to my nose out of the bottle, but it mellows on the skin and smells powdery fresh for most of the day. If this had menthol, I might like it better than my WSP Barbershop. An all-purpose keeper for sure. When people say “barbershop,” this is the type of scent I imagine. Funny again, that this was my wife’s least favorite on paper, but when I wore it, she said “you smell great.”

Of course, all of this is extremely YMMV. There are many die-hard fans of all of the scents on this list. There seem to be many, also, who speak of scents “growing on them.” These were all only tried once, so maybe my opinion on some of these would change should I continue to wear them. I tried to give you an idea of the types of scents I prefer so you can maybe discern which of these would be a good match for you. The biggest things I took from this are: 1 - Although I really like patchouli and similar scents by themselves, I didn’t care much for them when mixed with powdery scents and applied to my skin, 2 - Try before you buy! Don’t just smell the bottle and decide that you love or hate a scent...you may be very disappointed, and 3 - Get the wife/significant other involved! In the end, you know you won’t be wearing anything that doesn’t meet their approval!

Cheers.

Oh...and 4 - This hobby is getting expensive. Thank God Maggard offers samples!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Very very interesting. Thanks for posting!

Drydown is indeed different - usually but not always.

"Linear" scents are ones that are a single, unchanging note.

Good choices; I have four of those. Clubman and Clubman SR are among my very favorites ... have come realize Fine American Blend (Rive Gauche) just isn't for every day. A shame; I have the soap, too.

AA

Interesting how different things smell on your skin than when sniffing from the bottle!

Drydown is indeed different - usually but not always.
Although I’ve read this before, it was definitely shocking to me how drastically our opinions changed from bottle to skin in some cases...Maybe it’s my body chemistry lol?
Incidentally, I’m really liking FAB after wearing it again today, and will likely add it to my war chest.

Very nice write up, thanks for taking the time.

I'm a little surprised that the Vigoroso was so lowly rated for you. I haven't tried it myself, but for menthol fans I thought this would be up near the top.

And what do you think about how each of these feels on your face? Nice wide variety between how many of these aftershaves perform...would you say the GFT Limes balm was your favorite?

Very nice write up, thanks for taking the time.

I'm a little surprised that the Vigoroso was so lowly rated for you. I haven't tried it myself, but for menthol fans I thought this would be up near the top.

And what do you think about how each of these feels on your face? Nice wide variety between how many of these aftershaves perform...would you say the GFT Limes balm was your favorite?
I did like the menthol in the Vigoroso, but my wife didn’t like the scent much, and it was another one for me that I just didn’t like smelling all day. Remember though, I only wore it once...
I tried to stick to scent preference only here because my face is not very sensitive to AS and it’s hard for me to discern when/if one is working better than another. Like I said though, if I was forced to pick, I’d take the GFT Limes splash.

I did like the menthol in the Vigoroso, but my wife didn’t like the scent much, and it was another one for me that I just didn’t like smelling all day. Remember though, I only wore it once...
I tried to stick to scent preference only here because my face is not very sensitive to AS and it’s hard for me to discern when/if one is working better than another. Like I said though, if I was forced to pick, I’d take the GFT Limes splash.
I have quite a few aftershaves that I now love that were not spectacular the first time. Amounts, weather, situations and often cologne afterwards all affect perception. Clubman is one I like the smell of but didn’t like it right after application. I now look forward to the lavender blast, but have metered the amount of going somewhere important. It goes great with a spray or 2 of Canoe EDT. The Canoe takes the sharpness off the Clubman.

Visit your local Drug store and ask for Menthol Crystals.
Never thought of that! Thanks.

I have quite a few aftershaves that I now love that were not spectacular the first time. Amounts, weather, situations and often cologne afterwards all affect perception. Clubman is one I like the smell of but didn’t like it right after application. I now look forward to the lavender blast, but have metered the amount of going somewhere important. It goes great with a spray or 2 of Canoe EDT. The Canoe takes the sharpness off the Clubman.
Really try to avoid adding cologne to my routine, but I may try playing around with amounts and such...Alas, if the wife (sensitive to smells) hates it...

Never thought of that! Thanks.

Really try to avoid adding cologne to my routine, but I may try playing around with amounts and such...Alas, if the wife (sensitive to smells) hates it...
Try the canoe aftershave. It’s less sharp than Clubman. Lasts similar.

Top Bottom