What's new

My AHAB arrived today

So much nicer than I expected. I was so shocked at the appearance (medieval lapis) that I forgot to check out the filling mechanism. Fastest filling pen I own.

Of course, the first fill is with 5 o'clock shadow after a flush with soap/water, then plain water.

Writing is very wet and much smoother than my other Noodler Flex (new style feed). The flex is quite different feeling and without pressure it puts down a fairly fine line.

Now for the nitpicking part. The cap ring is a bit loose. It can be rotated, but doesn't do so without intentional force.

The pen also has an odd habit that if I over flex it dumps out so much ink that the feed goes dry and it take some time to start flowing again. This is totally unadjusted, so I might be able to fix that by moving the feed or perhaps I didn't flush it well enough.

Sorry for such a short "review" and no pics, but I am trying to finish up work in preparation for vacation next week.

Update: So the pen is working much better after a page or two break-in. I chock the initial problems up to not drying the feed fully after flushing. This is such a good daily writer compared to the previous flex pen.

Last edited:
Mine should be in the mailbox today or tomorrow as well!!! Can't wait!

FWIW, I got mine from Todd at isellpens.

Our shipment just arrived to us today; we'll be selling ours starting on Monday! We just did a writing test (blog post/video coming soon!), and they are AWESOME. Definitely excited.

Monday at 12pm EST is when we'll have ours for sale. We *just* got our shipment in yesterday so we're working through the weekend to box them all up and get them ready. Other retailers should be getting theirs next week as well.

We just took some of our own pictures yesterday, they're up on our site and the blog. I LOVE the Medieval Lapis, I think that's my new favorite. Can't go wrong with clear, either!

More videos coming this weekend with full writing test, how to change out the piston seal o-ring, etc. Heading over to the shop now to work on those!

Referenced links:
Store: http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_Ahab_Flex_Nib_Pens_s/1098.htm
Blog: http://www.inknouveau.com/2011/11/showcasing-11-ahab-flex-pens.html

Depends what you're looking for. The Rhodia Webnotebook is a very popular journal, and you can't go wrong with Rhodia or Clairefontaine if you're looking for basic notepads/notebooks. The paper quality is just really really good. I use a No. 16 Rhodia dotPad on a regular basis. The Quo Vadis Habana is another good journal.

I LOVE the Medieval Lapis, I think that's my new favorite. Can't go wrong with clear, either!

You aren't helping! I had convinced myself the clear demonstrator would be my last pen but the Medieval Lapis is really nice. I may have to relist my Merkur 23c :sad: on the BST now.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
We'll see, I got a couple of the original flex pens & haven't been able to make them sing, my fault of course .. does Ahab have the same nib?

Got mine today!! Ivory Darkness. Need to clean it up and load some ink!!!

$DSC9017a-L.jpg

$DSC9019a-L.jpg

$DSC9020a-L.jpg

Here is some of my lousy writing. The Oxblood looks fantastic on Clairefontaine, but feathers bad on cheap paper. After I disassembled the whole pen and cleaned it, I ended up pushing the feed back about one slit farther in than the stock position was. It wrote fine as stock, but with it just that little bit farther in I can write as fast as I want and it keeps up, even while flexing.

$i-QTKMvpF-M.jpg

Last edited:
Yep the Medieval lapis sold out fast eh? I ordered the ivory darkness. Can't wait to try it out. I had a hard time deciding on which one to get. There are three or four that I really like.

Top Bottom