What's new

My acquisition disorders went away. What’s wrong with me?

It happens. Other life priorities happened in my case, which then turned into 2 years where I didn't make a single shaving related purchase. Honestly didn't even give it much thought since what I had was working for me.

Then I popped back in here again recently, seen new manufacturers with new shiny things, and out comes the credit card.

Shavemac and don't go back.
@LMcC
Rosseforb is absolutely right. If I had to choose just one badger I'd go with either a 2-band Silvertip or the regular Silvertip from Shavemac (depending on the level of backbone you are looking for).

Have you ever considered a mixed knot (badger/boar)? You definetly should watch out for Semogue Owners Club Mistura...
The Misturas are plain and simple stunning (they feel soft on the skin tips-wise but combine the softness with excellent scrub qualities and balanced backbone, aka the best of two worlds). It's a pure delight to use them...

20210527_153958-01.jpeg

Here's my Mistura trinity. :001_wub:

I also have no real desire to buy more shaving gear. Already I have razors enough to rotate through 2 weeks shaving every 48 hours, soaps and creams enough so that I can rotate through those, a synth brush that (while I initially disliked its feel) I enjoy using each time, plus a boar and badger to switch to occasionally. Blades, I've discovered my favorites and merely need to order more when I get low. Aftershaves and colognes, I'm exploring those, but the upper-end ones are way out of my price range, and the homage products work very well.

So, unless I run across a particular vintage razor I like or a particular scent of soap, I'm not really on the hunt. Still love shaving, though!

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Sounds like a case of Delayed Onset Maturity. Very serious.

I recommend a strong course of retail therapy, say at Maggard's, West Coast Shaving or Pasteur, where you'll discover a whole world of things you didn't know you needed.
Hah! 🥷

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@LMcC
Rosseforb is absolutely right. If I had to choose just one badger I'd go with either a 2-band Silvertip or the regular Silvertip from Shavemac (depending on the level of backbone you are looking for).

Have you ever considered a mixed knot (badger/boar)? You definetly should watch out for Semogue Owners Club Mistura...
The Misturas are plain and simple stunning (they feel soft on the skin tips-wise but combine the softness with excellent scrub qualities and balanced backbone, aka the best of two worlds). It's a pure delight to use them...

View attachment 1299835
Here's my Mistura. :001_wub:

I love my Semogue SOC Mistura (it may be the best knot period) and also my Shavemac (most made by Rudy Vey) knots and also a couple of my Simpsons. The LE Semogue TSN Silvertip (three band) is also a favorite. I'd consider acquiring them if I didn't already own 'em. However, good boars are very satisfying brushes.

Mostly I don't have much interest in more brushes though (I have way more than I just mentioned including some good brushes I don't use). Mostly I have settled on one favorite soap and thus neglect the many others I acquired but don't use. Blades, the same.

The quest for the perfect DE razor may or may not have ended for me, but I certainly understand that it can end. Not everyone is a collector. Perfection is an impossible standard.

We can I think safely ignore Disaster Girl and find multiple ways of being fully BOSC which don't involve endless purchases (many of my friends will recognize that what I think and what I do may be at odds sometimes).

Nothing wrong with minimalism in moderation.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'd say it's a natural progression, so be glad about it. The whole idea of buying new things is to find which things you really like using. You found them. When something gets used up or worn out, you can try something else. Use your energy on something other than acquisition of more stuff.

I think the solution to your "problem" is to go vintage...
Once you realize that you can not easily replace something
or its unobtanium, it opens a whole new world of AD's.

Vintage soaps...try chasing down vintage tallows like Penhaligon's
Vintage DE's...those gorgeous Aristocrats are calling.
Vintage brushes...Rooney, Rooney, Rooney.
Vintage SR's...MK's, Tanifuji's, Filly's

These are just a few of AD's that I have slipped
and fell down the rabbit hole...

1*xUVx8GVAl1AFgb9wp-PlyA.jpeg

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@LMcC , if it’s true, I’m happy for you. If you think it’s true, I’m happy for your current serenity and for the luxurious relapse looming in your subconscious.

So...totally agree with you on the Lupo. Your aftershave collection needs a Bay Rum? Well, comrade...that's a rabbit hole unto itself! And blades...well...I just got 100 Sharp Titanium's and 100 Shark Platinums...two blades I thought I'd never buy in quantity.

One other observation...just Stirling? I mean...no offense to Stirling, they have great soaps, but...it's a great big shave soap/cream world out there.

I think you'll find that you'll eventually find something to explore a little deeper.

I just recently discovered Mike's Natural Soaps and Cremo Lathering Shave Cream...and like...wow! Who knew?!!!

Mike’s I intend to look into at some point. I’m a little gun shy about soaps because of the number of well liked ones I’ve purchased that my skin reacted to. Most of them have been either palm oil based, or have had artificial sandalwood scent, but I haven’t narrowed it down enough to be sure. That said, Mike’s Hungarian Lavender sounds like something I’d like.

I can understand being relieved of RAD and BAD, but I could never be cured of SAD. The entire fun of wet shaving, IMHO, is discovering new soaps and fragrances. Life’s too short to settle. (I know same could be said for razors and brushes).

Totally agree, it's like no longer trying new foods.

Top Bottom