What's new

My 7-day Set

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Gives you plenty of time to work on a nice case for them.
I have a VG10-HZ myself, never been used but it's a beefy razor with the steel inlays.
I have one of those on order (as well as an ACRO) but not sure if they will be delivered.

Where the Chinese drinking Mexican beer? 😋

I used to own a 7-day set of CVH mk31s, they even had the weekday names on the spine (in Swedish of course). Some of the blades were in need of some restoration, though nothing overly serious, as is obvious from the picture below. However I didn't feel confident doing it, so I more or less only had the set for display.

In the end I sold it to the same guy from who I got my beloved mk32 (and some other great acquisitions), in the hopes that he would be a more suitable owner, or that he could find someone who was. Another big reason was also that I was basically broke just coming out from from university. Luckily I had managed to land a job, but my paycheck was a month away. So until then I needed the extra money for stuff like, you know, food... I don't regret having to sell it though, never really did. Just glad I got to own it for a while.

I hope it is doing well, and that it is/will someday be restored.

Good luck on your project, and I fully agree with your statement in your initial post! There are definitely more reasons to owning a 7-day set than just the practical ones, and important reasons they are!

mk31_7day.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have settled on using 7 matching Titan ACRM-2 SRs for my set. When properly honed, the ACRM-2 gives me the perfect shave. I also considered Titan VG10HZ and their ACRO SRs. These were more expensive, harder to hone but tend to keep their edge longer. I decided that edge life was not really a concern as each razor will only be used once a week.

I managed to source six Titan ACRM-2 SRs from 3 separate suppliers in China for an average price of about USD28.50 each including express delivery. They should be delivered over the next couple of weeks. I already have two of these SRs, so another six will give me a seven-day set plus one spare for the odd evening shave.

I have been eyeing seven-day set boxes and am becoming partial toward the TI box style. I showed a pic of this box to my Filipino cabinet maker and he feels that he can make one out of Mahogany for under USD 100.

I still have to find a decent engraver for the spine work. The spines will be engraved; Lunae, Martis, Mercurii, Iovis, Veneris, Saturni and Solis with the eighth marked Vesperum.

It looks like I might have my first matching seven-day set together within a month or two, all for about USD300. I will post pics as it develops.

Last edited:
I have a decent amount of razors but I normally just use 2 razors in rotation. A heljestrand mk4 and a mk7 (looking to get another mk 4 or two). Real nice shavers and touching them up is always extremely easy.

Here is a link to my 7 day set of razors I have. They are more of an investment at the moment and in mint condition. Probably going to end up using them in the future but have not decided.
7 day straight razor kit

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Have you measured and calculated the bevel angle on those Titans? I was thinking about getting one.
The Titan ACRM-2 as received has a spine thickness of 5.9mm (0.232") and blade width (top of spine ware to edge) of 18.1mm (0.713"). This gives a bevel angle of about 18.5deg.

I prefer a supplied bevel angle to be in the larger size as it is easier to reduce if wanted by just thinning out the spine.

The razor has an overall mass of 64g (2.26oz). When opened 180deg, the razor's centre of gravity is about 6.5mm (1/4") from the pivot pin towards the blade tip.

The blade steel is a bit more corrosion resistant that a Gold Dollar but not a full stainless steel. Steel hardness is also greater than the GD but not by a lot.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Four of my ordered six Titan SRs are now in the Philippines and on their way to me in Cebu. I should receive them within a day or two.

The last two are from one vendor and still stuck in China. It might have something to do with that Mexican beer virus.

Interesting project - I am eagerly awaiting pics of that box
I have always thought that with all the shave gear on offer, there are relatively limted affordable options for storage boxes.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Later this week I will be meeting with my Filipino cabinet maker to discuss the box for my seven-day set. Before I do, I am posting my suggested arrangement here to get any constructive comments.

7set Box.jpg
Each razor is supported at either of its ends by the triangular piece of timer and at the tange in a cut-out. There will be a full length timber divider between each of the seven razors. The box is to be made of Philippines Mahogany with all timber joints epoxy glued. There will be a full length timber divider between each of the seven razors.

One finished, all surfaces will be given three coats of clear spar varnish which is bother water and UV light proof. The hinges and latch for the lid will be of solid brass (preferably) or stainless steel.

Any constructive comments would be appreciated.

1. Brass over steel. Brass you can polish. Steel rusts. Not good for something that's around water.

2. You sure you want full-length dividers? It will make the box more difficult to clean, should you need to for any reason.

3. Are the razors resting on wood? Or some sort of fabric lining?

2. You sure you want full-length dividers? It will make the box more difficult to clean, should you need to for any reason.

I thought full length dividers were a bit odd also. I've never seen that before and it seems to me it could make the razors hard to take out, depending on how wide the gap is.

I've seen loads of 7-day sets online. I've never seen a box with full-length, no-gap dividers. So far as I know, only T-I has such dividers in their modern-day sets - but even they have semicircular cutouts in the middle of the dividers, so you can get your fingers in to lift out the razors.

If you are going to have full-length dividers, then at least think about having the recess, so you can get your fingers in there - no point having a fancy box of razors that you can't use.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
1. Brass over steel. Brass you can polish. Steel rusts. Not good for something that's around water.

3. Are the razors resting on wood? Or some sort of fabric lining?
Thank you for your comments.

1. The metal-ware will be either solid brass or stainless steel - not carbon steel.

2. The gap between the dividers (about 25mm (1") high) will be 16mm (0.63") as the scales of the Titan ACRM-2 SRs are between 15mm and 15.5mm thick overall. My current thinking is that it should not be too difficult to clean in between the dividers.

3. The pivot end of the razor scales (Mahogany timber) will be resting on timber (Mahogany). The tang (metal) at the other end is supported in individual cut-outs in the vertical timber piece. The bottom of the scales are positioned about 1.5mm above the inner bottom of the box.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I thought full length dividers were a bit odd also. I've never seen that before and it seems to me it could make the razors hard to take out, depending on how wide the gap is.
Thank you for your comment.

The full-length dividers are taken from the TI box design. The TI design includes a semicircular cut-out in each divider at about mid-length to allow for easier SR removal. I thought of doing the same, however decided instead to support the tangs in individual cut-outs in the vertical timber piece with plenty of room between the end of the tang and the inner side of the box to allow each SR to be lifted up via its tang.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Four down and four to go for my matching seven-day set plus one.

IMG_20200226_114242.jpg
In order of receipt, left to right - top to bottom. Waxing the Mahogany scales over time tends to darken the colour a bit. I prefer the darker colouring.

Top Bottom