What's new

My 2014 resolution - I'm giving up on.

...Glyercin based soaps.

After much rotational use between glycerin and tallow based soaps (and one extra magical Strop Shoppe shave), I've come to the [not so] profound revelation that life is too short to compromise on your shave soap :biggrin1:. Don't get me wrong - I have glycerin soaps that I like a lot and perform well, but I always get my best shaves when using some good ol' animal fat. When I'm feeling in a cream mood, the glycerin creams work fine (You'll have to pry the Nancy Boy Sig Scent from my cold dead hands), but for soaps I'm going tallow or bust. There are some scents that I love that I have not found yet in tallow based soaps, so I might need an intervention if I waiver from my resolution. Maybe I need to start a sub-sabbatical for only glycerin soaps:glare:

Also, if anyone has recommendations of good tallow soaps, I'd be eager to hear. So far I've used Strop Shoppe, Tabac, DR Harris. I've got some Stirling Soap & Queen Charlotte soap on their way in the mail. I'd love to try Razorock but I'm having trouble finding a good scent guide to figure out which to order.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't found any soaps that I like better than Harris. I've got 5 pucks. I also have 4 tubs of SRD glycerin soaps which I find almost as good and the SRD soaps add a nice variety of scents to my rotation.

I'm giving up on multiple passes, and giving up on aggressive razors. Been doing just single pass WTG with my Feather ASD1, and my face feels awesome!

.Your think like I do. I have had some good gycerine soaps but I seem to shave and lather easier and better with a tallow they all seem slicker and to lather bomb. Any more if I am going to shave with it something is going to die. Now I just look at the ingredients and if I don't see Tallow or sodium Tallowate or such I move on. If you think that sodium tallowate sounds like salted beef fat you are not far of the mark. My first question I put to a soap? Where's the BEEF?
I use Cella a lot and its my baseline standard I measure all soap by. Ive had one of those 1kg bricks and have lots left after 2+years I highly recommend it but you do grow tired of almonds after such a long time using a brick. They do make a small tub but it is like 12 bucks.
As Bebe suggested those Haslingers are the Bomb, Ive never had a puck I did not like.
Checkz and Speak 88 is awesome but way out of line one price. even a refill is 35 bucks.
At the other end of the spectrum is lowly Arko the lather legend, and legendary urinal scent to match. Its not that bad and if left out the scent goes away in a few weeks and just smells like soap. It does however make my face a little squeaky and dry feeling after a shave.
P.S. your going to enjoy your Stirling order. Some of his scents are a little different but the soap it top notch but softer than some. I Love me some Ozark Mountain and Barbershop.
oh yea I almost forgot valobra and p160 if you can find it.

Last edited:
.Your think like I do. I have had some good gycerine soaps but I seem to shave and lather easier and better with a tallow they all seem slicker and to lather bomb. Any more if I am going to shave with it something is going to die. Now I just look at the ingredients and if I don't see Tallow or sodium Tallowate or such I move on. If you think that sodium tallowate sounds like salted beef fat you are not far of the mark. My first question I put to a soap? Where's the BEEF?
I use Cella a lot and its my baseline standard I measure all soap by. Ive had one of those 1kg bricks and have lots left after 2+years I highly recommend it but you do grow tired of almonds after such a long time using a brick. They do make a small tub but it is like 12 bucks.
As Bebe suggested those Haslingers are the Bomb, Ive never had a puck I did not like.
Checkz and Speak 88 is awesome but way out of line one price. even a refill is 35 bucks.
At the other end of the spectrum is lowly Arko the lather legend, and legendary urinal scent to match. Its not that bad and if left out the scent goes away in a few weeks and just smells like soap. It does however make my face a little squeaky and dry feeling after a shave.
P.S. your going to enjoy your Stirling order. Some of his scents are a little different but the soap it top notch but softer than some. I Love me some Ozark Mountain and Barbershop.
oh yea I almost forgot valobra and p160 if you can find it.

I've read that the Tallow based Razorock soaps are like Cella and p160 having a child together. Is that accurate? If so, I might try some.

I've read that the Tallow based Razorock soaps are like Cella and p160 having a child together. Is that accurate? If so, I might try some.

I have not had the good fortune of trying razorock. but highly recommend both the children. It seems to be gaining a following. Its a newerish brand. I generally stick with the tried and true.I.e. cella,spiek,drh ect. Tons of old world brands have been around for a long time. Heck, Cella has been making soap since 1899, about as long as there was a safety razor. When you last that long in the soap bus you are doing something right.

I will not be buying any new soaps for quite awhile as I just ordered 4 new tins of Sterling from Ron last year for the newbie soap of the herd. Im impressed. Usually artisan soap have something to be desired. I really like the way they make my face feel after shaving. Its def got some slick in there. Only one I don't like out of his I tried was a sample of Scots Pine. It was to much like Pinesol for me. But that Ozark Mountain is the snizz cuz. The Bay rum not my fav but
good. Barbershop is lite and clean. And Sharp Dressed man smells real nice. As for the shave your just going to have to try em to see and good luck with your razorock.
g-day mate

Top Bottom