What's new

My 1st Vintage SR. Is There a Problem With It?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have two issues. But, photos first...

PAX.SR.9-27-18.640.JPG

What I'm seeing is a little bit of the heel extending down below the edge.

Or, maybe it's a frown, but I don't think I see a frown in real life.

PAX.ColorsAdjust4ed.640.JPG

I think the picture just above and the photo below show what concerns me.

PAX.Heel.What?640.JPG

This is a supposedly shave ready razor from a vendor a member told me he'd been told by B&B guys is a good razor vendor.

I paid $45 for the razor.

PAX,Blade.Heel.640.JPG

Still, what do i know? Answer: Nothing.

One photo had shadows, exposure, etc. adjusted but I've forgotten which photo.

PAX.Heel.question.640.JPG

Is there a problem with this razor?

If so, the vendor JJ Rowe offers returns and refunds.

Should I return the razor or what? I don't want to unless I have to.

I like the razor otherwise, but what do I know?

The second problem is I'm not entirely sure how to see if the razor is sharp. I've tried the various tests (some of them) to find out, but apparently am not hairy enough or skilled enough with my arm hair to tell much.

I know you can't test the shave readiness for me, but what about the edge/heel issue?

Thanks.

Happy shaves,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I do a lot of business with JR and he will make it right immediately. If you want to text him, PM me, I have his phone number. As to the razor, it looks really nice and that problem with the heel can be easily corrected. If you have a hone just rub that off or mute if not have JR correct it it won’t be a big deal. As far as sharpness, he or his honemeister hone up to 12k. I can’t really tell from the photos that then heel edge is actually below the razor edge and I don’t see how it could be. It seems it would have been difficult to accomplish. Did you put the edge up against a flat surface? If it indeed is lower than the edge, it would creat a gap between the edge and the flat surface. You should get more opinions soon. Personally Inwould just round that point a bit so it doesn’t bite.

What you are seeing is a razor that has had shoulder surgery because the edge of the blade has reached the end of its life or would be a dead blade without the shoulder ground away. Grinding the shoulder away allows the blade to be honed, but....for a starter razor, Id return it because learning to hone with it will be problematic.

You might want to read the sticky: Looking To Buy a Flea Market Razor? Look Here!

That whole stabilizer area needs to be ground back and pulled up from the edge so it doesn't interfere with the edge on the stone. It's a shame too because pax razors are great when they are right.

As a newbie I would return and ask for an exchange or refund.

I have also dealt with JR with no issues. I'm sure he'll take care of your issue.

I am sorry Jim because I feel responsible for recommending the seller. I am sure he will make it right, but the razor should never have been sold without you fully being made aware of the blade issues.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've notified the seller. It's interesting to me to look back at the vendor's photos on eBay. They really do not show the heel issue. Nor do they seem to be hiding anything. It's almost like it surfaced during the honing done for the sale, and the photos were before the honing.

I'm waiting for JR to get back with me, but I'll probably return the razor. It seems to me you gentlemen are correct.

I am sorry Jim because I feel responsible for recommending the seller. I am sure he will make it right, but the razor should never have been sold without you fully being made aware of the blade issues.

Hey, don't worry about it. No big deal except I was all set to really like the razor (and I do except...). I'm very glad to know about this vendor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've notified the seller. It's interesting to me to look back at the vendor's photos on eBay. They really do not show the heel issue. Nor do they seem to be hiding anything. It's almost like it surfaced during the honing done for the sale, and the photos were before the honing.

I'm waiting for JR to get back with me, but I'll probably return the razor. It seems to me you gentlemen are correct.

Hey, don't worry about it. No big deal except I was all set to really like the razor (and I do except...). I'm very glad to know about this vendor.

Happy shaves,

Jim
He’ll make it right. I trust him. My regret is your disappointment with your first SR.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I hope the issue gets resolved. My best advice for purchasing any razor, DE or SR, is to post a WTB as in the BST section here on Badger & Blade. There are plenty of members here that can set you up with what you're looking for.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've heard back from JR. Actually, he's sent me several messages (in order with #4 being the most recent) as follows:
  1. Hi, if there is a problem no problem. I honed a chip out of that razor and if you think that it needs adjusted just send it to me and I will correct it immediately. Please advise.
  2. Hi, I would like to know if you shaved with this razor and if you are happy with the edge. Please advise.
  3. Hi, one more thing my friend service is #1 with me and I will go the extra mile to make you happy. I know that this is an excellent German straight razor with high quality steel and it should shave great and last for a lifetime.
  4. Hi Jim, I say go ahead and shave with it and when it ready to be honed send to me and I will inspect it at that time. Even if it's a year from now I stand behind all of my razors and will take good care of you. Thank you, JR James Rowe
Obviously, he's a good guy and wants to make this right, but can the razor be made right? He thinks it can, but I really don't know anything.

My inclination is to shave with the razor and send it to him when it needs to be honed (as he suggests), but I don't want to do that if I'd be taking it on the chin by doing so. Also, could the little heel area which is below the edge cut me?

upload_2018-9-28_10-42-12.jpeg

Not that I think he's trying to do anything but be a standup guy, but I'm a babe in the woods here.

Would you take option #4 above or would you return the razor now or what?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

If you're chomping at the bit to get going straight razor shaving, go for it. He will have to remove the stabilizer and shoulder a bit to continue to hone the razor as other pointed out. On the other hand that little heel area will alway be in the back of your mind while you shave with it. Id just tell him your more comfortable with another razor, remove any potential issues in the future with an exchange. Sounds like he's a good guy, but you deserve a vintage shave ready razor you paid for, without any future issues. Thats my take on it.

Good luck!

If you're chomping at the bit to get going straight razor shaving, go for it. He will have to remove the stabilizer and shoulder a bit to continue to hone the razor as other pointed out. On the other hand that little heel area will alway be in the back of your mind while you shave with it. Id just tell him your more comfortable with another razor, remove any potential issues in the future with an exchange. Sounds like he's a good guy, but you deserve a vintage shave ready razor you paid for, without any future issues. Thats my take on it.

Good luck!

Exactly this

I have a couple of JR's razors that he redid....he'll hook you up no worries. I've never had any issues with him or his stuff so dont fret about it. If your not comfortable with the razor just tell him so.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've heard back from JR. Actually, he's sent me several messages (in order with #4 being the most recent) as follows:
  1. Hi, if there is a problem no problem. I honed a chip out of that razor and if you think that it needs adjusted just send it to me and I will correct it immediately. Please advise.
  2. Hi, I would like to know if you shaved with this razor and if you are happy with the edge. Please advise.
  3. Hi, one more thing my friend service is #1 with me and I will go the extra mile to make you happy. I know that this is an excellent German straight razor with high quality steel and it should shave great and last for a lifetime.
  4. Hi Jim, I say go ahead and shave with it and when it ready to be honed send to me and I will inspect it at that time. Even if it's a year from now I stand behind all of my razors and will take good care of you. Thank you, JR James Rowe
Obviously, he's a good guy and wants to make this right, but can the razor be made right? He thinks it can, but I really don't know anything.

My inclination is to shave with the razor and send it to him when it needs to be honed (as he suggests), but I don't want to do that if I'd be taking it on the chin by doing so. Also, could the little heel area which is below the edge cut me?

View attachment 915952

Not that I think he's trying to do anything but be a standup guy, but I'm a babe in the woods here.

Would you take option #4 above or would you return the razor now or what?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

This is the latest from JR.

"Hi Jim, I would like to know if you have shaved with this razor yet. I reviewed the price that you paid and I believe that you did good on this purchase. Like I said if it shaves well then I do foresee any problems in the future. I stand behind all my straight razors and whatever you decide I will honor. I have a real nice Germany Premier Straight Razor listed for your consideration."

proxy.php

What does the slip reveal? Maybe nothing. Sometimes a cigar is just a smoke.

Oh, I replied telling him I've not shaved with the razor, and am listening up for B&B advice...

JR has a couple of razors of interest to me, but both are active auctions so no link.

proxy.php

The John Elliot, pictured above, has a "spine machined at a 45 degree angle," but I have no idea what that means. I mean I see it, but what does it mean in terms of use or honing? It might just be a cosmetic feature?

proxy.php

The German Premier #67 has photos, such as the one above, where I can't quite tell if the blade has a slight smile.

I'm not asking you about the prices, but I am thinking about trading up and returning the razor in hand (as that seems to be most everyone's advice, other than JR).

I have a couple of GD razors (shave ready #66 from Classic Edge and shave ready #800 from WSP) in transit so it's not like I have to have a JR or other vintage razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Personally I’d just exchange it. When you are honing that far up into the blade you are getting into the belly of the hollow or beyond it. YMMV of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I'd either get the Elliot or my money back and let it be his call. He claims a no BS warrantee, so let him prove it.

Top Bottom