What's new

My 1st Vintage SR. Is There a Problem With It?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well, I'd either get the Elliot or my money back and let it be his call. He claims a no BS warrantee, so let him prove it.

I think you're right.

"JR has a couple of razors of interest to me, but both are active auctions so no link.

proxy.php

The John Elliot, pictured above, has a "spine machined at a 45 degree angle," but I have no idea what that means. I mean I see it, but what does it mean in terms of use or honing? It might just be a cosmetic feature?

proxy.php

The German Premier #67 has photos, such as the one above, where I can't quite tell if the blade has a slight smile.

I'm not asking you about the prices, but I am thinking about trading up and returning the razor in hand."

Both of the razors are being offered at opening bid prices higher than what I paid for mine. One is $10 more and the other is $20 more. I suppose I could pay another $10 or $20, but I'm not 100% sure I like the razors. It's hard to tell from the photos.

On the other hand, why not?

Happy shaves,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I think you're right.

Both of the razors are being offered at opening bid prices higher than what I paid for mine. One is $10 more and the other is $20 more. I suppose I could pay another $10 or $20, but I'm not 100% sure I like the razors. It's hard to tell from the photos.

On the other hand, why not?

Happy shaves,

Jim
Have you texted or called him yet?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Get in touch with him directly and it will be easier for you to work something out. You don’t need to choose from what he is posting on eBay. His reputation is very important to him.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What you are looking at is the classic heel hook. A common thing with much loved razors. You can still shave with it, and you can still hone it. Or you can grind back the stabilizer and make the entire length of the blade straight and shaveworthy. Your call. I would try a few shaves before sending it back. Nice to know that the vendor is eager to satisfy the buyer, though.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What you are looking at is the classic heel hook. A common thing with much loved razors. You can still shave with it, and you can still hone it. Or you can grind back the stabilizer and make the entire length of the blade straight and shaveworthy. Your call. I would try a few shaves before sending it back. Nice to know that the vendor is eager to satisfy the buyer, though.

I hear you Slash.

I know pretty much what you're talking about, but only generally. I also know this would be a piece of cake for you (well, not really, there's still the work involved which is only easy if I'm not doing it).

I don't have (yet) a grinder or belt sander or anything of that sort. Nor do I have any razor modification experience (yet). I have waterstones in transit.

I could screw it up. I could ruin it.

But, I hear you. I could shave with it and see what I think, and return it later (or not). Most people are advising a different course of action, but I appreciate your point of view.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I'm going to shave with it on Wednesday, Slash.

proxy.php

Even if I return the razor I want to know what it's edge is like; I might do business with the vendor in the future.

Thanks,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Based on some things said to me here and other things said elsewhere (PMs and such) and a closer look, my confusion is clearing up, and I've come to a different decision.

As I closely examine the razor I find that the heel hook is sharp. It also protrudes beyond the edge. It seems to me it might be very likely (or at least somewhat likely which is the same thing) to cut me.

upload_2018-10-1_14-32-52.jpeg

Above all, I want to be safe as I begin shaving again with the SR. I think this razor is not safe (and I'm not the only one thinking that).

It also seems to me that the seller should have seen this problem and not sent me the razor. At the very least honing the razor doesn't look like a newbie-grade honing project, and it looks like a razor restoration project, so why the vendor didn't ask me to return the razor when I pointed it out seems puzzling to me.

I'm not saying anybody including the vendor owes me anything, and I know it's a buyer beware world, and I know I'm a newbie, but I think this razor obviously not shave-ready.

Being cut up by a not shave-worthy razor does not sound good to me, and I'm afraid of this razor. If the vendor were apologizing and telling me to return the razor for revamping or replacement I'd feel better about all this, but the transaction has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Looking at the edge and the heel hook (thank's for that term, Slash) with my little 4X loupe opened my eyes. It shouldn't look like that no matter what. The heel should have been fixed before the razor was offered for sale as shave-ready. Why sharpen a protruding heel hook? Dangerous!

proxy.php

That's how I see it. Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I'm not remotely going back to bed. I have far too much to do and am having too much fun, but this razor is going back.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Based on some things said to me here and other things said elsewhere (PMs and such) and a closer look, my confusion is clearing up, and I've come to a different decision.

As I closely examine the razor I find that the heel hook is sharp. It also protrudes beyond the edge. It seems to me it might be very likely (or at least somewhat likely which is the same thing) to cut me.

View attachment 916679

Above all, I want to be safe as I begin shaving again with the SR. I think this razor is not safe (and I'm not the only one thinking that).

It also seems to me that the seller should have seen this problem and not sent me the razor. At the very least honing the razor doesn't look like a newbie-grade honing project, and it looks like a razor restoration project, so why the vendor didn't ask me to return the razor when I pointed it out seems puzzling to me.

I'm not saying anybody including the vendor owes me anything, and I know it's a buyer beware world, and I know I'm a newbie, but I think this razor obviously not shave-ready.

Being cut up by a not shave-worthy razor does not sound good to me, and I'm afraid of this razor. If the vendor were apologizing and telling me to return the razor for revamping or replacement I'd feel better about all this, but the transaction has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Looking at the edge and the heel hook (thank's for that term, Slash) with my little 4X loupe opened my eyes. It shouldn't look like that no matter what. The heel should have been fixed before the razor was offered for sale as shave-ready. Why sharpen a protruding heel hook? Dangerous!

proxy.php

That's how I see it. Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I'm not remotely going back to bed. I have far too much to do and am having too much fun, but this razor is going back.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I am happy you finally decided to send it back where it belongs.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I wrote the vendor as follows:

I've gotten more good feedback on the razor and examined it with my loupe. My conclusion is the razor is not safe to shave with unless the stabilizer is fixed and the heel is relaxed. The protruding heel is sharp and could cut me. The razor should not look like this.

I am returning it. I've not touched it except to examine it.

Let me know how to proceed. The packaging material was thrown out but I can find good packaging material easily enough.​

I've received replies as follows:
  1. Hi, I would at the very least make one pass with it on your face to see if there is going to be a problem I don't think so. I can easily modify the heel of the razor. Please try shaving with this razor before you pass judgement.
  2. Hi Jim, after considerable evaluation I believe that what you really want is a new razor. I have a couple of vintage NOS straight razors. If you like I will trade the PAX for one of the NOS razors. The straight razors I am referring to a 5/8"+ so they are slightly smaller in width than the PAX. Upon receiving the PAX I will ship your one of these NOS razors. I believe that I have 2 of them but for sure I know that I have one. The cost will be the same. Please advise.
  3. Oh yeah lol please try shaving with the PAX carefully and slowly if you like I know that the heel will not cut you. Lay the edge of the blade on a flat surface and you will see that the edge is flat and straight all of the way across the edge of the blade and that the heel is not protruding below the edge. I can modify the heel if you like. I am trying to make you happy and I have presented you with two options so please tell me what you would like to do. Thank you, JR James Rowe.

Comments and advice?

Happy shaves,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
As always JR’s iron clad guarantee. i agree that you should give it a go first after laying the edge on a flat surface so you can see there is no protrusion for yourself. I really don’t see how there could be actually. If you are not satisfied, swapping for a NOS is more than generous. I’ve begun buying all of my razors direct from JR, and I have a several, because of his expertise and determination to satisfy his customers. I can’t imagine a better dealer.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I want to again thank everyone here who offered helpful advice to me about this, on this thread and via PM. I want things to work out so both JR and I are happy. Most of all I want and good, safe, shave-ready, and nice vintage razor to go with my Gold Dollars.

I have seen to JR the following message.

I want to return the razor.

Every time I look I see the heel hook. I'm not the only one to think it at least might be dangerous to my skin or my strop. We could all be wrong, but I want to use maximum common sense. I'm a SR newbie without the skills to work around problems with a razor.

One man advising me, a gentlemen known to be very experienced with SRs and honing as well as highly regarded and trustworthy, says the razor should never have been sold. I have no idea if he's right, but I know the razor scares me. I don't want it to scar me.

I am fine if you do either of three things. 1. Replace the razor with one you deem to be a suitable and fair replacement. 2. Fix the stabilizer and heel issues. 3. Refund what I paid for the razor.

Assuming option #2 or #1, I am assuming the same no BS guarantee continues to apply.

Let me know how to get the razor to you. I can get in in Thursday's mail.

Thanks,

Jim

It’s your face and your shave, so I understand feeling comfortable with your equipment. Sounds like the vendor is working with you and making progress. A no BS guarantee is a nice option to have. Good luck Jim.

So, no BS to me means something different. When my customer complains I don’t try to get them to use it if it’s broke or dangerous. No BS means you offer a different one and an upgrade for their troubles. It means the
refund is in the mail. Let’s be honest, the value of JR’s razors are in his skills, not the razor. If he’s getting careless, it’s at his expense.

New users need the benefit of a good quality razor more than a seasoned user.

So, no BS to me means something different. When my customer complains I don’t try to get them to use it if it’s broke or dangerous. No BS means you offer a different one and an upgrade for their troubles. It means the
refund is in the mail. Let’s be honest, the value of JR’s razors are in his skills, not the razor. If he’s getting careless, it’s at his expense.

Nope, we are on the same page. I think no BS is no BS. It sounds like Jim is weighing all his options. I didn’t care for the “just try it” reply. I would have asked for an RMA label and a refund, but that’s just me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So, no BS to me means something different. When my customer complains I don’t try to get them to use it if it’s broke or dangerous. No BS means you offer a different one and an upgrade for their troubles. It means the refund is in the mail. Let’s be honest, the value of JR’s razors are in his skills, not the razor. If he’s getting careless, it’s at his expense.

Nope, we are on the same page. I think no BS is no BS. It sounds like Jim is weighing all his options. I didn’t care for the “just try it” reply. I would have asked for an RMA label and a refund, but that’s just me.

I've notified JR that I want to return the razor, and am waiting for his response. I no longer have the packaging material he sent the razor in so I don't have his mailing address or I might have been able to sent the razor to him today. Now it will probably be Thursday (assuming he responds to my message) because Wednesday doesn't work for me and the post office.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom