What's new

My 1st use of Rex Ambassador (P1). How do you maintain it?

Hi everyone. Long time lurker. I finally caved in and bought the Rex. Love the device. Its gorgeous.
Had my first shave today. Started with an Astra SP blade at 3.5 WTG. Was surprised with how efficient and aggressive the razor is quickly reduced to 3. Lots of blade feel but no weepers. Took it slow and steady. 2nd pass was xtg I took it down to 1 and found it felt was perfect for me. And finally for the Atg pass I reduced down to 0.5. Finished with a fantastic BBS but think I will suffer a bit of razor burn over the next couple of days.
While I'm very happy with my purchase I am frustrated with the difficulty in cleaning the razor. Found a lot of hair trapped between the platform that comes up as you dial up the razor. Does the Rex come apart (without breaking it) how do you guys manage the cleaning.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Any razor that could not simply be rinsed under the tap and then dried ready for next time would not last five minutes in my den. Needing an ultrasonic cleaner between uses would be out of the question. 👍

I don't use an ultrasonic cleaner after everytime I use a razor. I use it once every month and clean a bunch of them together. Just like my silverwares, glasses, etc...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I don't use an ultrasonic cleaner after everytime I use a razor. I use it once every month and clean a bunch of them together. Just like my silverwares, glasses, etc...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using

I take it the ultrasonic bath you use is quite large. Could do with a small one that doesn't take up much room.

It's a small one. I have the isonic/invisiclean one which sits on my countertop in my bathroom. I do cleaner my glasses in it everyday.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

If I am going to use it the next day I rinse it out under the tap. I keep a toothbrush handy to help clean the areas that need an extra bit of help. On blade changes or when it will not be used the next day I give it a scrub with dish soap and a toothbrush. I also give the stand the same treatment. I then lay out all the pieces to air dry before reassembling and placing it in the cabinet.

I don't have a Rex but I have used one in the past. I did nothing more than to rinse the razor under water during my shave and well as a good rinse afterward. I then take out the blade and dry everything off (wipe the razor with a soft cotton towel and pat the blade dry by folding the towel over it) before reassembling it to be ready for the next shave.

I've done this with every razor I own and everything looks like it's brand new.

If you're getting stubble in place that you don't want it to accumulate then maybe rinse it a bit more frequently during your shave.

Is there a reasonable brand / type of ultrasonic cleaner that might be recommended?

regards
avi

I don't have a Rex but I have used one in the past. I did nothing more than to rinse the razor under water during my shave and well as a good rinse afterward. I then take out the blade and dry everything off (wipe the razor with a soft cotton towel and pat the blade dry by folding the towel over it) before reassembling it to be ready for the next shave.

I've done this with every razor I own and everything looks like it's brand new.

If you're getting stubble in place that you don't want it to accumulate then maybe rinse it a bit more frequently during your shave.
Just gotta say I love the avatar/pic

I asked RE not to put thread lock on mine for preorder. Never heard back. Their old statements regarding their doing this apparently were due to user confusion with prototypes. I’m not sure what that means exactly.

Anyway, when I shave with it, I keep the top of the cap downward, at an angle in the sink during rinsing. When I’m done, I go over it with a toothbrush the best I can.

I’ve said this before but as a Gibbs owner, I can tell you that stuff collects in that design. I can fully disassemble all of my Gibbs razors so cleaning them is a snap, but can’t do that with the Ambassador.

Another tip, if you want a smoother BBS shave with the Ambassador without that harshness, put the dullest blade you can find in it.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Using "camera air blower boll" "rocket air blaster" also helps me clean the razor. You can use it to blow out the hair and water droplets in the gap.

Before using the air blower boll, I didn’t even know how much water would remain in the handle.
For example, the Gillette Slim I put on the shelf to dry, I think it will be completely dry in two weeks, but when I blow with air boll, a lot of water flows out.

Rocket-Air-Blaster-Air-Blower-Large-size-strong-power-for-camera-lens-cleaning-black-and-red.jpg

I rinse mine in running hot water immediately after shaving, shake off excess and air dry, and then apply light food-grade mineral oil to the moving parts. I've not seen any problems with debris, and in fact it cleans up pretty easily. An ultrasonic cleaner used too frequently might loosen things up that shouldn't be loosened in anything with tight tolerances.

I rinse mine in running hot water immediately after shaving, shake off excess and air dry, and then apply light food-grade mineral oil to the moving parts. I've not seen any problems with debris, and in fact it cleans up pretty easily. An ultrasonic cleaner used too frequently might loosen things up that shouldn't be loosened in anything with tight tolerances.
Thanks was wondering if ultrasonic would be an issue. Didnt think about the oiling before.

I asked RE not to put thread lock on mine for preorder. Never heard back. Their old statements regarding their doing this apparently were due to user confusion with prototypes. I’m not sure what that means exactly.

Anyway, when I shave with it, I keep the top of the cap downward, at an angle in the sink during rinsing. When I’m done, I go over it with a toothbrush the best I can.

I’ve said this before but as a Gibbs owner, I can tell you that stuff collects in that design. I can fully disassemble all of my Gibbs razors so cleaning them is a snap, but can’t do that with the Ambassador.

Another tip, if you want a smoother BBS shave with the Ambassador without that harshness, put the dullest blade you can find in it.

I am irritated by that inability to open the Ambassador up for cleaning. But it is a beauty

I am irritated by that inability to open the Ambassador up for cleaning. But it is a beauty

Forgot to mention that water will drain from the bottom of the handle around the knob when it is loosened, not just inside the tube of the knob but around it as well, inside the handle. I find it easier to loosen the knob and after it drops, blow around the sides so the water drains out. I do this rather than storing it upside down without the cap to drain the water.

If you don’t loosen the knob to let the water drain or store it upside down, that water will accumulate inside the handle.

Top Bottom