What's new

My 1st Single Edge GEM Shave

I have really enjoyed using the GEM razor. I like a mild shaver as I prefer the Edwin Jagger DE89 over just about every DE razor I have tried which has been several over the years with the Merkur HD being a close 2nd. I wouldn’t mind picking up one of the Micromatic GEM models or some other type of single edge razor, but if I do I would stear towards a milder shaver than an agressive shaver. I am not sure where the 1912 model I currently have falls as far as the aggressiveness of the razor compared to other single edge GEMs or single edge razors in general. Thanks, Mullard

Maybe a GEM Bullet Tip. That's one option @Esox suggested for me. This is what he told me about the Bullet Tip.

The GEM Bullet Tip is an excellent starter razor. Its smoother and more comfortable than my Grande while having the same efficiency level. Its forgiving in the same way a Gillette Tech is, its mild. One pass N-S, one pass S-N and one pass from my jawline down ATG for a BBS finish that lasts around 8 hours. Compared to 3 full passes and 4 clean ups with my Tech for a 6-8 hour BBS.

That said I have a GEM MMOC incoming at the end of this week.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Bullet Tip really is a nice razor. Its uncannily smooth and efficient enough for most everyone. The one drawback I found with it is the flat cap. Because it is flat, it can vacuum lock to my cheek and my neck lol. Using it just slightly shallower or steeper than the design angle stops that completely.

The MMOC doesnt do that because the cap is a different shape. The MMOC is a clear step up.

I recently bought a GEM just like that on the BST here. Not having much success for a smooth shave, but I haven't got any stainless blades yet. Yesterday I put in a Treet blade and I've never had such a rough shave. Was a bit better in a 1924 Ever Ready the next day. Will try the gem again when I get different blades other than the carbon.
I also run tubes, a Sonic Frontiers amp.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I tried a carbon GEM blade, once. I even tried sharpening it on my whetstone and tried it again.

First SE Shave.

Never again! PTFE only for me. They're very sharp.

I picked up a bullet tip as was suggested.

993BD006-B01C-409C-92A4-3073D65314FC.jpeg
3A87A6F9-520F-499F-B51D-AED6ACB8685E.jpeg

BC9EDE76-DE36-464D-AF58-0364708DB040.jpeg

Very nice! I'm waiting on some SS blades that I ordered from England (a month ago!), then I'll try my gem again.

I am not too familiar with the blade options. I have been using the blades in the above photo. They seem to be performing OK.

I used it today with coated Personna blades and DR Harris Sandalwood shaving cream. I received a quality shave. Thanks for all the recommendations.

I got recently a MMOC and I am learning to use it. It requires demand and experience. I am getting there and I feel like I am starting to enjoy the GEM blade. Although a Gem blade in its first usage is a bit dangerous. :D

I recently bought a GEM just like that on the BST here. Not having much success for a smooth shave, but I haven't got any stainless blades yet. Yesterday I put in a Treet blade and I've never had such a rough shave. Was a bit better in a 1924 Ever Ready the next day. Will try the gem again when I get different blades other than the carbon.
I also run tubes, a Sonic Frontiers amp.

FWIW I used an old Treet and had the same experience as you.
I finally bought some new PTFE GEM blades and it's a totally different machine.
I have only put the blade in today so can't tell you how long it lasts but the shave was great.
I used it in a GEM 1912 FYI.

FWIW I used an old Treet and had the same experience as you.
I finally bought some new PTFE GEM blades and it's a totally different machine.
I have only put the blade in today so can't tell you how long it lasts but the shave was great.
I used it in a GEM 1912 FYI.
That's exactly the razor that I have also. I tried it for the first time today with gem ss blades. Ten hours later my face is still sore. Tried to ride the cap as much as possible, but couldn't really avoid a lot of blade feel and raw skin afterwards. I may have to skip shaving a day to let my face recover. Not sure I'll continue this little vintage razor experiment. I'd like to try a modern gem holder, but the cost of that experiment would be a lot more money.

Top Bottom